Sign in to follow this  
mrlip

System for p3d

For a couple of personal reasons I am looking into getting a laptop than can run P3D (and potentially other games) well. I haven't used P3D before as I am an FSX user looking to make the jump across. The laptop would be hooked up to a display occasionally but I will prob only run it at 1080P max, not really interested in 4K or QHD.

I usually run payware airport scenery, PMDG/Aerosoft/QW, Activesky, Orbx Global & Vector, Ai traffic package. 

Would the below be suitable? 8GB RAM version is a bit cheaper but I've read 16GB is recommended for P3D 4.2

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-rog-strix-gl502vm-fy172t-fhd-g-sync-i7-7700hq-16gb-ddr4-256gb-m2-sata-ssdplus1tb-hdd-6gb-gt?v=c

15 minutes ago, mrlip said:

For a couple of personal reasons I am looking into getting a laptop than can run P3D (and potentially other games) well. I haven't used P3D before as I am an FSX user looking to make the jump across. The laptop would be hooked up to a display occasionally but I will prob only run it at 1080P max, not really interested in 4K or QHD.

I usually run payware airport scenery, PMDG/Aerosoft/QW, Activesky, Orbx Global & Vector, Ai traffic package. 

Would the below be suitable? 8GB RAM version is a bit cheaper but I've read 16GB is recommended for P3D 4.2

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-rog-strix-gl502vm-fy172t-fhd-g-sync-i7-7700hq-16gb-ddr4-256gb-m2-sata-ssdplus1tb-hdd-6gb-gt?v=c

Definitely go for the 16gb.  If u must use a laptop that one does look adequate.

Matt Wilson

46 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Definitely go for the 16gb.  If u must use a laptop that one does look adequate.

Thanks for the reply. Ok will go with the 16gb. Should I stick with the i7 7700k or would another spec be suitable?

According to the specs that laptop uses the 7700hq.  I have no experience with that processor.  I’m assuming it is just the laptop version of the 7700k. Lower power consumption, lower heat, and more than likely non overclockable due to cooling issues with a small laptop case.  

Matt Wilson

If it were me I would find a laptop with a 7700k and sufficient cooling

Matt Wilson

19 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

According to the specs that laptop uses the 7700hq.  I have no experience with that processor.  I’m assuming it is just the laptop version of the 7700k. Lower power consumption, lower heat, and more than likely non overclockable due to cooling issues with a small laptop case.  

Sorry yes meant to saw 7700HQ. From what I’ve read the reviews mention it has pretty good cooling but worst case I will buy an additional cooling case if needs be. 

47 minutes ago, mrlip said:

Sorry yes meant to saw 7700HQ. From what I’ve read the reviews mention it has pretty good cooling but worst case I will buy an additional cooling case if needs be. 

What is your budget? If it were me I would find a laptop with a 7700k that supports over clocking and a GTX1070.

Matt Wilson

19 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

What is your budget? If it were me I would find a laptop with a 7700k that supports over clocking and a GTX1070.

Think that may be over budget as ideally don’t want to pay much more than the price of the one I listed. But I will look into it, thanks for your help 

I have the 17” version of that laptop for when i’m away from my main rig. It costs another hundred or so more than that one but nice having a bigger screen.

I have 4.2 installed on it along with X-Plane, fsw and fs2. Currently flying over ftx England in the a2a spitfire with active sky and every slider maxed to the right. Running at 1080p and msaa 8x .Holding 40fps and remember, it is gsync so is stutter free pretty much all the time.

Only thing I added to mine is I changed the second hard drive to a 1TB ssd.

I wouldn’t worry about the 7700k, overclocking laptops is bad news, they just cannot effectively get rid of heat. Plus the 7700k puts out a lot more heat even in standard form than the 7700hq does.

Chris

Edited by tutmeister

39 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

I have the 17” version of that laptop for when i’m away from my main rig. It costs another hundred or so more than that one but nice having a bigger screen.

I have 4.2 installed on it along with X-Plane, fsw and fs2. Currently flying over ftx England in the a2a spitfire with active sky and every slider maxed to the right. Running at 1080p and msaa 8x .Holding 40fps and remember, it is gsync so is stutter free pretty much all the time.

Only thing I added to mine is I changed the second hard drive to a 1TB ssd.

I wouldn’t worry about the 7700k, overclocking laptops is bad news, they just cannot effectively get rid of heat. Plus the 7700k puts out a lot more heat even in standard form than the 7700hq does.

Chris

Great, that sounds very nice indeed, just what I was looking for :) 

1 minute ago, mrlip said:

Great, that sounds very nice indeed, just what I was looking for :) 

Sorry just forgot to mention, if running for a long time in a hot room it can get a bit warm and it will throttle down. When it does that your FPS will drop a lot, maybe by 10-15fps. Once cooler it will speed back up. To avoid this have the room a bit cooler or get a laptop cooler to sit it on. Most gaming laptops will do that at one time or another though.

Apparently there is a new BIOS for it that optimises performance, whatever that means. Not had chance to try it but it's possible that will adjust the voltages and throttling thresholds.

Don't get the 3GB vram one, you need all the vram you can get for p3d.

15 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Sorry just forgot to mention, if running for a long time in a hot room it can get a bit warm and it will throttle down. When it does that your FPS will drop a lot, maybe by 10-15fps. Once cooler it will speed back up. To avoid this have the room a bit cooler or get a laptop cooler to sit it on. Most gaming laptops will do that at one time or another though.

Apparently there is a new BIOS for it that optimises performance, whatever that means. Not had chance to try it but it's possible that will adjust the voltages and throttling thresholds.

Don't get the 3GB vram one, you need all the vram you can get for p3d.

Thanks for the info. Think I will look into getting a cooler for it to sit on to help with that. And yep, will go with the 6GB Vram version