Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Xplane11 at Capitol Reef Utah

Flying out of Sandy Ranch in Torrey Utah, right outside of Capitol Reef National Park, which looks like an unspoiled, unpopulated Sedona

Cessna_172SP_10.jpg
Cessna_172SP_11.jpg

Edited by lodestar
Prefix added
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice!!

• Upvote 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Very nice shots of amazing Utah....has many big sandstone monoclines!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

I stayed in Torrey, Utah last summer on a road trip. We arrive just at nightfall after driving for several hours from Bryce Canyon along the Million Dollar Highway through Escalante National Park and the Grand Staircase. The drive between the two places is one of favorites with some truly epic vistas. When we neared Larb Hollow Overlook, a bunch of wild turkeys ambushed our car running out in front of us (as did nearly every other deer and elk seem to threaten to do with so many grazing by the road. Fortunately we saw them coming and slowed down. A truly incredible wilderness. When we finally got to Torrey around 8.30pm we were quite famished after a day of hiking in Bryce Canyon. To our surprise, the two or three restaurants were either closed or closing up. Fortunately I managed to grab a sandwich for both of us in the one convenience store along with a couple of cans of beer. So we picnicked in the basic Days Inn where we stayed and had a great night in the end just picnicking and recounting our day.

Don't go to Torrey for the nightlife. There's not a single bar in town :laugh: However, more importantly do go to Torrey for the fantastic nature, hiking and really nice locals. Capitol Reef is amazing and if you ever go there, I highly recommend the 4 hr round trip hike to Butch Cassidy's Arch. We headed on to Moab after that. I could write another paragraph on how awesome that place is :)

Sorry for the digression. Your screenshots brought back fantastic memories for me and I wanted to share.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful looking scenery! 

• Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

2 hours ago, steve310002 said:

I stayed in Torrey, Utah last summer on a road trip. We arrive just at nightfall after driving for several hours from Bryce Canyon along the Million Dollar Highway through Escalante National Park and the Grand Staircase. The drive between the two places is one of favorites with some truly epic vistas. When we neared Larb Hollow Overlook, a bunch of wild turkeys ambushed our car running out in front of us (as did nearly every other deer and elk seem to threaten to do with so many grazing by the road. Fortunately we saw them coming and slowed down. A truly incredible wilderness. When we finally got to Torrey around 8.30pm we were quite famished after a day of hiking in Bryce Canyon. To our surprise, the two or three restaurants were either closed or closing up. Fortunately I managed to grab a sandwich for both of us in the one convenience store along with a couple of cans of beer. So we picnicked in the basic Days Inn where we stayed and had a great night in the end just picnicking and recounting our day.

Don't go to Torrey for the nightlife. There's not a single bar in town :laugh: However, more importantly do go to Torrey for the fantastic nature, hiking and really nice locals. Capitol Reef is amazing and if you ever go there, I highly recommend the 4 hr round trip hike to Butch Cassidy's Arch. We headed on to Moab after that. I could write another paragraph on how awesome that place is :)

Sorry for the digression. Your screenshots brought back fantastic memories for me and I wanted to share.

I did some work for a hotel at Capitol Reef in 1999.  I was supposed to have a Colleague join me but after driving down from Salt Lake City and realizing I'd have to do the round trip again to pick him up, I told my client that I could do the installation and training for their new hotel system on my own.  They agreed readily because it meant a $200 a day savings for them, plus airfare for my colleague.  I hit it along famously with my client, and rather than making me work my full eight hours contracted time they would dismiss me early so I could drive into the park and see the vistas.  They then asked me to do their installation and training for their Jackson Hole hotels, which I did later that year, right after my daughter was born.  They mailed me a stuffed buffalo for my new born daughter to cuddle with, which I thought was very nice.  I miss that client a great deal for the hospitality they showed me while I was at all their hotels.

John