Sign in to follow this  
ha5mvo

Lost all ATC centers

I'm struggling with a strange issue, namely I had lost all the ATC centers (nothing suggested mid flight and with an IFR plan atc switches to "nearest airports list" once I should be handed to center, and the IFR plan disappears.

Also, on map view there are no ATC boundaries whatsoever.

My guess is that this is due to some corrupted bgl file, or the result of some scenery excluding or otherwise interfering with that info in the sim.

I stumbled on a thread outlining the exact same issue in FSX from 2005 (I'm on p3d 4.2) but other than presenting the problem there was no solution there.

I'd be much obliged if anyone has a clue or suggestion of how to go about it.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both scenery and content but to no avail.

Edited by ha5mvo

On 3/20/2018 at 5:36 AM, ha5mvo said:

I'm struggling with a strange issue, namely I had lost all the ATC centers (nothing suggested mid flight and with an IFR plan atc switches to "nearest airports list" once I should be handed to center, and the IFR plan disappears.

I'm having the same problem since going to 4.2.  There's another thread here that reports the same issue.  I've checked for improperly placed alt.bgl files as referenced in the post below but couldn't find any.

Brian W

KPAE

31 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I'm having the same problem since going to 4.2.  There's another thread here that reports the same issue.  I've checked for improperly placed alt.bgl files as referenced in the post below but couldn't find any.

Ok, I have managed to trace the issue.

Apparently, the scenery/world/scenery folder entry in the scenery.cfg file was missing. 

Once at it, I also discovered that the entry for Africa got deleted somehow.

After restoring the world/scenery entry everything got back to normal, at least so far....

hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Good find, it looks like that's my problem too! Thanks!

Brian W

KPAE

I just had this same issue.  A few days ago I re-installed P3D v4.2 from scratch because I was having unexplained crashes in flight to desktop.  I never had crashes like that with 4.1 and there are no events logged in the event viewer to help me find any causes of the crash.  I decided to do a clean install of 4.2 because previously I had updated from 4.1 to 4.2 using just the client, content, and scenery installers.

I use add-on.xml files for most of my addons so they were easy to put back into place.  After the clean 4.2 install I immediately had an issue with elevations at the iBlueYonder Nantucket scenery that I have never had before.  I fiddled with things for hours trying to figure out why.  There is an altitude correction bgl in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder that was the solution for others who were having the same issue as me however I had this folder in place too and it wasn't helping me......more on that in a minute....

After trying to fix KACK I decided to do another flight that I had been trying to do when the sim was crashing which was CYUL to CYYZ.  I departed CYUL IFR talking to default ATC and at some point towards my cruising altitude of FL220 the ATC stopped working and changed to "Nearest Airport List" in the ATC Window.  I started searching because I had remembered this post here at AVSIM and found your solution where the Scenery/World/Scenery folder entry was missing in the scenery.cfg.  I landed at CYYZ and after descending below 10,000 ft. ATC came back and I was able to finish with ATC.

After shutting the sim down I checked the scenery.cfg and sure enough Area001 was blank which is supposed to be the Scenery/World folder entry.  I edited this in the scenery.cfg and restarted the sim.  As I was editing this I remembered that the altitude file for Nantucket was located in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder.  I loaded Nantucked in the sim and my elevation issue was fixed because P3D was not reading this directory!!!!

What a way to figure out this problem!  To me this is a Lockheed P3D bug because I have done nothing to edit the scenery.cfg prior to now other than add scenery using the library or add-on.xml files.  It also did not happen to me when I previously updated using the client installers but happened with a clean 4.2 install.

The good news is I have fixed the issue and my flight did not crash as before.  Hopefully this trend continues!

Brandon

48 minutes ago, thetford569 said:

I just had this same issue.  A few days ago I re-installed P3D v4.2 from scratch because I was having unexplained crashes in flight to desktop.  I never had crashes like that with 4.1 and there are no events logged in the event viewer to help me find any causes of the crash.  I decided to do a clean install of 4.2 because previously I had updated from 4.1 to 4.2 using just the client, content, and scenery installers.

I use add-on.xml files for most of my addons so they were easy to put back into place.  After the clean 4.2 install I immediately had an issue with elevations at the iBlueYonder Nantucket scenery that I have never had before.  I fiddled with things for hours trying to figure out why.  There is an altitude correction bgl in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder that was the solution for others who were having the same issue as me however I had this folder in place too and it wasn't helping me......more on that in a minute....

After trying to fix KACK I decided to do another flight that I had been trying to do when the sim was crashing which was CYUL to CYYZ.  I departed CYUL IFR talking to default ATC and at some point towards my cruising altitude of FL220 the ATC stopped working and changed to "Nearest Airport List" in the ATC Window.  I started searching because I had remembered this post here at AVSIM and found your solution where the Scenery/World/Scenery folder entry was missing in the scenery.cfg.  I landed at CYYZ and after descending below 10,000 ft. ATC came back and I was able to finish with ATC.

After shutting the sim down I checked the scenery.cfg and sure enough Area001 was blank which is supposed to be the Scenery/World folder entry.  I edited this in the scenery.cfg and restarted the sim.  As I was editing this I remembered that the altitude file for Nantucket was located in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder.  I loaded Nantucked in the sim and my elevation issue was fixed because P3D was not reading this directory!!!!

What a way to figure out this problem!  To me this is a Lockheed P3D bug because I have done nothing to edit the scenery.cfg prior to now other than add scenery using the library or add-on.xml files.  It also did not happen to me when I previously updated using the client installers but happened with a clean 4.2 install.

The good news is I have fixed the issue and my flight did not crash as before.  Hopefully this trend continues!

Brandon

Brandon,

Mind checking if you also have the entry for the default Africa in place?

While most people don't fly there, ORBX installers use that line as a reference to put their own vector entries so if you use orbx vector and that line is missing from the scenery.cfg... then there's the recipe for even more trouble. 

On 20/3/2018 at 1:36 PM, ha5mvo said:

I'd be much obliged if anyone has a clue or suggestion of how to go about it.

simply do not use the numeric keys.
it's an annoying bug of v4.2
If you press a numeric key, for example for views, it remains in memory and will be your choice in the next menu you will open (ATC)
Give it a try and you will notice it immediately (press a numeric key and open atc, you will see that the number will be the choice)
So you probably canceled the IFR plan
It also happens with the other menus, gsx....
let's hope LM fix this bug soon ;)