Sign in to follow this  
Jude Bradley

777 flaps are amazing!

I guess I never really paid attention before, but I was recently a passenger on a 777-300 from Singapore to London. 

While preparing for landing, I looked out of the window and the wow-factor of seeing flaps 30 really hit me. This is a work of art from a beautiful airplane.  The PMDG model comes very close, but from the passenger viewpoint,it's amazing.

Of course now, I'll have to take the 777 from PMDG up again for a spin.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

It is difficult to simulate how large the B77W is up close on a computer display isn't it.  Those flap elements are each the size if a wing, in fact the diameter of the engine is closely equivalent to the diameter of the B737 fuselage. She is big, beautiful and powerful.

• Like 2

Dan Downs KCRP

i've heard those engines (GE90's) diameter is as big as the original 737 fuselage diameter.  Maybe it was the 737-200  (Classic?).  Anyway, that amazed me!

I wonder if one of the 777 wing flap elements is as big as the entire wing of a Cessna?

And powerful yes.   My warmest and heaviest 777F takeoff so far, was about 26 degC and about 75% cargo load -- I didn't derate there due to the shorter runway (MNMG, just over 8000' runway) but after doing the takeoff, I could have derated.  I used flaps 15 on that takeoff out of fear of the short runway.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1000% agree Dan, There is nothing sexier than the growl of a GE90, although the wife is not too happy at take-off, I'm the only pax with a big stupid grin on my face when the a/c starts to roll :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

55 minutes ago, Mace said:

I've heard those engines (GE90's) diameter is as big as the original 737 fuselage diameter.  Maybe it was the 737-200  (Classic?).  Anyway, that amazed me!

Yup, and that includes the latest 737s as well.  In fact, the 10-ft diameter fuselage goes back to the original 'Dash Eighty' and continued throughout the 707/727/737 families.  The 747 wide body was set at 20 feet because that is how wide the Pan Am conference room was when Boeing made their sales spiel to Juan Tripp who initially insisted on a double deck configuration.  That presentation in the conference room convinced him to visit the mock up Boeing built for him back in Everett.  The story goes that this is where Juan insisted on a spiral staircase much to the chagrin of the engineers, but he got it and the rest is history.  The GE90-110B1 128-in diameter exceeds the 120-in narrow bodies.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

17 hours ago, downscc said:

It is difficult to simulate how large the B77W is up close on a computer display isn't it.  Those flap elements are each the size if a wing, in fact the diameter of the engine is closely equivalent to the diameter of the B737 fuselage. She is big, beautiful and powerful.

Fly it in VR and you will get a sense of the scale!

Some people like classical music, some like jazz... I go to youtube and listen to GE90 on takeoff.

• Like 1

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

On 3/22/2018 at 11:40 AM, downscc said:

Dan - every time I do my walk around and circle past the outboard starboard wing and see the length of it - I kind of get awestruck.  Other times I dont notice it.  What is impressive on any of 777's is the landing gear!!  Most of you will never get to see one up close and personal but I can tell you from 1st hand experience - it is big.  It is impressive.  It does a HELL of a job!!!!  And it takes a ton of abuse - and sadly - never gets much glory.  

• Like 1

I can second what Dave said. As impressive as the engines are, they look very natural with the size of the airplane. However, when you stand next to the wheels and look up ....... WHOAAAAH !!!! Those struts tower above you. They are extremely tall and extremely big. Amazing machine. I love flying it, and wish this plane would get more updates or even V2's and V3's like the other ones in the hangar ;-)

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777