Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Intel's 8 Core Coming 2018

14 hours ago, busdriver said:

For P3D and FSX, isn't clock speed still more critical than cores?

Yes clock is still the most important - even for P3D v4 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Videocardz has (an earlier) and different perspective on all this... they aren't calling the CPU the i7 9700K but rather a "CoffeeLake S", just as the slide shows.  The CPU speed shown is far too low for a HEDT... AMD would be laughing all the way to the bank if Intel labeled/numbered this product as a HEDT.

https://videocardz.com/75458/intel-coffee-lake-s-processor-with-8-cores-spotted-for-the-first-time

What is good for us (all consumers) is the coming "core-an war"... clearly Intel is going after AMD's design choice to add cores, many cores, at much more sane prices than Intel's in the past.  I look forward to seeing more high core/thread count Intel HEDT CPU's at more competitive prices!  :biggrin:

Greg

If my Apex mobo is an indication of what the next gen is going to be then I think we’ll see 4000mhz + memory running as standard equipment on main stream mobo's.

Will that be with or without Meltdown?

Intel can release higher core count CPUs, but their multi-thread performance is woeful compared to AMD.

1 hour ago, CloudSurfer said:

Will that be with or without Meltdown?

Intel can release higher core count CPUs, but their multi-thread performance is woeful compared to AMD.

to much AMD "trolling", show someting , for p3d v4.2 or even XP11 Intel work better.

Multitread, is the I9 7980XE faster in multitread apps ? have no treadripper but 1600x and 1800x.

you werre out in another tread her was someting about the TIM, but not a single word how POOR the AMD Overclock.

3 hours ago, CloudSurfer said:

AMD's single thread performance is woeful compared to Intel's.  And flight simulators need single thread performance first and foremost... none offer great multi-thread performance.  Which is why most flight simmers use Intel.

Give some thought to trolling elsewhere...

Thanks,

Greg

Trolling? LOL

Tried X-Plane lately? Try disabling cores and see where it gets you...

I halve the cores available, I get half the frame rate. GPU is GTX 1080 Ti. CPU is AMD FX-8350 (4 GHz). I set the resolution to 1K first (I usually run it at 4K - I get about 50 FPS at high detail/HDR). XP 11.20b1.

At 1K, all cores, FPS = 55

At 1K, cores 0-3 only, FPS = 25.

Edited by CloudSurfer

5 hours ago, CloudSurfer said:

Trolling? LOL

I halve the cores available, I get half the frame rate. GPU is GTX 1080 Ti. CPU is AMD FX-8350 (4 GHz). I set the resolution to 1K first (I usually run it at 4K - I get about 50 FPS at high detail/HDR). XP 11.20b1.

AMD FX8350 at 4ghz for sim , the biggest joke i ever heard of here at the hardware forum.

I know what i talking about, done a lot of testing of FX8320,8350,8370, 9370,9590 

give you an example a 6700k at stock speed outperform the FX series even clocked at 7.5ghz

Cinebench R15 multitread test

FX 8350 stock speed 630p at 7.5ghz (LN2 cooling) 1200p

8700k stock 1400p watercooled at 5.2ghz 1750p

Treadripper 1950X stock 3050p overclocked 3400p

Intel I9 7980XE stock 3350 watercooled 4.8ghz 4700p

CB R15 single tread.

FX 8350 stock 112p

1950X stock and overclocked 166-167

8700k stock  and overclocked 205-230

Edited by westman
  • Upvote 1

On 24/03/2018 at 2:14 AM, CloudSurfer said:

Trolling? LOL

You are out of your league friend. Westman knows what he's talking about from personal experience. He has tested and overclocked more CPU's than you and me have had hot dinners. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎27 at 7:17 AM, martin-w said:

You are out of your league friend. Westman knows what he's talking about from personal experience. He has tested and overclocked more CPU's than you and me have had hot dinners. 

Absolutely!

Edited by SpiritFlyer
I am a bonehead and did it wrong the first time!

In my experience the only people that are so heavily biased towards an obviously inferior solution do so for the following reasons:

1) they use this product and have an emotional attachment to their decision, therefore feel the need to defend it vigorously 

2) they are children (either biologically, or in terms of maturity)

Bulldozer is hot garbage for flight simulator and most of us figured that out a long time ago.  You can buy a thin and light laptop that will run flight sim better than an AMD FX processor and in 10% of the thermal envelope.