Sign in to follow this  
Indy511

Must have been a really slow news day.

1 minute ago, bills511 said:

I used to fly into SFO often and was in a few go arounds.  One was with Air Canada and we had apparent trouble, possibly a gear warning.   The pilot made no announcement to the passengers but being a weekly flier I knew better.  We flew over 28 R going very slowly and spotlights were shined on the underside of the 767.  We then did our goaround, and when we landed we were followed by the airport fire engines until we safely left the runway.  I was in three other incidents:

1. A Beech puddlejumper flying into Michigan could not land because of thick fog.  We made three goarounds, and were warned by the pilot if we did not succeed he would have to declare a fuel emergency and divert, if possible, to one of our previous stops.  We finally came in at treetop level and to my colleague waiting to pick me up, he said he and everyone else at the airport were very nervous for our safety.  We landed safely, but it was a close call.

2. I was the last to disembark a 737 in Jackson hole when there was a terrific crash that knocked me into my seat.  The ground crew accidentally hit us with the baggage truck.  That aircraft had to be flown back to Denver with the pilots on oxygen, I was told by the ground crew, because they feared puncture of the fuse.  I saw the passengers waiting for the return flight to Denver before picking up another colleague who was flying in from Salt Lake.  There was a lot of shouting at the airport.  I never found any report of this accident searching the NTSB records even though I was slighly hurt with a hip pointer.

3. I was waiting for a Delta 737 flight out of Bozeman MT, we had all boarded.  We heard a loud bang followed by smoke in the cabin, an engine was lost when they were starting it up.  They flew in a CRJ but not all the passengers could make it.  I made it because I bypassed the gate agent and went to the customer service desk (which I recommend to all if they face such an issue) and I had no wait in line unlike the 100 or so pp lined up with the gate agent.

I had other incidents such as flying into JFK when a storm closed the airport.  Our inbound flight from Frankfurt had to be diverted to Philly before it ran out of fuel along with about a dozen other international jumbo jets.  I did not get out til the next morning but TWA upgraded me to a first class return on United to SFO because they said I did not hassle them for something out of their control, as unfortunately other passengers did.  We were stuck on the jet for two hours waiting for customs to process us because Philly could not handle intl flights well at that time.

Finally, in 1999 I was caught in the famous Detroit Blizzard waiting for a puddlejumper to fly me into Ottawa.  Try as we might, we would ice up and aircraft behind us warned us of the icing.  We were angry passengers because they kept us on the cold, unheated aircraft for three hours because they did not want to clear us thru customs again.  They finally relented when passengers threatened lawsuits, and in hindsight I wish I would have joined the class action suit which followed.  Laws were changed because of this and a similar blizzard incident in Detroit a year or two later.  Although weather was to blame, the way Northwest treated us was terrible, with no food or water or heat on the aircraft.  I finally arrived in Ottawa six hours late, at 3AM, and my kindly client was there to pick me up.  They insisted I skip a day of work and rest the next day.  Viva Canada!

John

• Like 1

What's the big deal? I've flown over 2 million miles on Delta alone and I can't count the number of go-arounds on both hands. Slow news day indeed..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.