Sign in to follow this  
Wolf0

Logbook and flight track recording for P3Dv4

Hello all.

Can someone point me to a software that logs flights kind like FS Flight Keeper that works with Prepar3D v4?

I'd like the software to be able to track the flight either offline or online (Vatsim). The software has to show a map plotting the route flown after the flight is over (it doesn't need to be a live map tracking). It would be ideal if the software could display the landing vertical speed, block and airborne times and fuel used. It would be great if the software could learn the departure and arrival airports by itself (i.e., no need to submit a flight plan of fill in any box). It would be desirable to have the software launch and "link" itself to P3Dv4 autonomously. The software has to work with FSLabs A320.

Now some background: I'm a long time user. On the FS2000 days I'd log my flights with the default logbook. Then I transitioned to FSPassengers which I used mainly for the logging capabilities (it had everything I listed except the user had to input the departure and arrival airports, plus it didn't worked with FSLabs A320 since it wasn't born yet!). I started flying online and I've been tracking my flights with Vataware since. But it is getting less and less reliable and looks abandoned now. Plus I'd like to have my records within my system, as opposed to online based. 

Nowadays FSFlightkeeper looks like the best suitor but I believe it doesn't work with P3Dv4. I know (read on their forums before they were extinguished) that there was an update being worked for compatibility, but nothing has surfaced yet. I wouldn't like to spend money on abandoned software...

FSPassengers has the same problem. It was abandoned for a few years and it looks abandoned again. Plus it doesn't support FSLabs A320 and I'm not interested in the "management" features.

I've tried SimACARS but I kept forgetting to launch it prior to starting the flight. Plus it doesn't work well with the FSLabs A320 (I could live with that since it somewhat works). And it looks more suited to the users who want an interface to send their reports to their VA's. I'm not interested in flying for a VA. I make my own schedules and flightplans (via PFPX).

So... is there any magical software that I don't know about? Any inputs?

Thank you all in advance.

I created a logbook application that works with FSX/P3D all versions, but it is only a logbook.  Available free in AVSIM library use keywork logedit3.

I have no interest in map plotting, probably because I'm an old pilot and still use charts instead of moving maps; however, Navigraph Charts has a feature that combines your aircraft location with the charts to provide a moving map presentation.  Not sure if it records the track or does anything fancy with it but it's an easy way to get current Jeppesen's  and see where your are on the chart.  Aerosoft probably has a similar feature with their version of the Navigraph products.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Try SimBuddy. It's online and gives your landing vertical speed. It is a .NET app that you download and it will autorun in the background feeding your information to a cloud service.Not sure if you can export the data. 

Lorby-SI "Where are my Aircraft" also has a neat log box feature that will log and output KML (Google Earth). The new version will also Georegister screenshots as well. It is payware through, but like 20 bucks I think, You can export the logs and manipulate them into Excel if need be. 

• Upvote 1

Take a look at projectfly it's got all you want.

Regards

• Like 1

Cees van der Linden

1 hour ago, Wolf0 said:

I'd like the software to be able to track the flight either offline or online (Vatsim). The software has to show a map plotting the route flown after the flight is over (it doesn't need to be a live map tracking). It would be ideal if the software could display the landing vertical speed, block and airborne times and fuel used. It would be great if the software could learn the departure and arrival airports by itself (i.e., no need to submit a flight plan of fill in any box). It would be desirable to have the software launch and "link" itself to P3Dv4 autonomously. The software has to work with FSLabs A320.

I would like a package that could do most of those things.  I am a long time user of FSFK and would be interested in seeing most of those features in a new product. I'm not too interested in the visual aspects such as map tracking (other software does that) and profiles. I just want the basics (departure, destination, flight times, takeoff and landing results, fuel, cargo and passengers) from ANY aircraft I fly. Tracking other data would be nice but the basics are must have.

FSFK works for the most part in P3D v4 for most things. My biggest issue with FSFK is its inability to read values from the newer aircraft such as the Majestic Q400 or Leonardo MadDog.

Rich

Thank you all for your inputs.

So far the most promising candidate seems to be ProjectFly. I'll give it a go in the next few days. The interface looks clean, modern and promising. I have one question for the potential users, though: is it possible to save the flights on your computer? Or does the logbook stay within their servers?

This is critical as I'm looking for a solution that is future proof and wouldn't like to depend on the promise of continuity of service of the nice chaps at ProjectFly or any other server anymore.

LRM Monitor is great as well, I tend to use both that and FSXTracker, the first being free, the second being very cheap - just a nominal fee to help with storage. Then again I also put all the details into a big spreadsheet and plot the routes on Google maps..... 

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

2 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

LRM Monitor is great as well, I tend to use both that and FSXTracker, the first being free, the second being very cheap - just a nominal fee to help with storage. Then again I also put all the details into a big spreadsheet and plot the routes on Google maps..... 

G

Hello Gary.

How do you save your data from the web services to the spreadsheet?

As far as I could see the LRM Monitor sends data to an online site, just like FSXTracker and ProjectFly (I'm starting to see that some services are poping online to solve my problem, although I want my data inside my PC, but other that that I concede that the idea is well implemented). How do you extract the data from the web to your local spreadsheet? Do you do it every flight, manually or is there any way to automate that task?

Edited by Wolf0

18 minutes ago, Wolf0 said:

Hello Gary.

How do you save your data from the web services to the spreadsheet?

As far as I could see the LRM Monitor sends data to an online site, just like FSXTracker and ProjectFly (I'm starting to see that some services are poping online to solve my problem, although I want my data inside my PC, but other that that I concede that the idea is well implemented). How do you extract the data from the web to your local spreadsheet? Do you do it every flight, manually or is there any way to automate that task?

Sorry to say I enter it manually. On the plus side using this method means you have access to the data anywhere, plus since the sheets are stored on Google Sheets I can mess with it when I'm at work!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, rwalls said:

I would like a package that could do most of those things.  I am a long time user of FSFK and would be interested in seeing most of those features in a new product. I'm not too interested in the visual aspects such as map tracking (other software does that) and profiles. I just want the basics (departure, destination, flight times, takeoff and landing results, fuel, cargo and passengers) from ANY aircraft I fly. Tracking other data would be nice but the basics are must have.

FSFK works for the most part in P3D v4 for most things. My biggest issue with FSFK is its inability to read values from the newer aircraft such as the Majestic Q400 or Leonardo MadDog.

Rich

I still find the old FSFK the most suitable for GA VFR/IFR. The only problem I have is FSFK accepting flight plans using P3DV4.1 across a network w/ FSFK on a client PC. 

I use SimFlightManager, created by some guys at Reddit, for exactly these tasks.  It's no longer actively developed, but the current feature set is about all I could ask for and it work perfectly with v4.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

I use SimFlightManager, created by some guys at Reddit, for exactly these tasks.  It's no longer actively developed, but the current feature set is about all I could ask for and it work perfectly with v4.

This looks like BINGO!

Thank you very much for this input. Will try it later tonight. Looks exactly what I was looking for.

I've tried SimFlightManager and I have my problem solved. 

Thank you so much, Rob Jones.

I would never have found it without your input. 

The program itself has everything I was looking for. It could be further developed and better integrated with FSLabs A320 but as far as I could see development stopped 1 year ago. Plus FSLabs is taking forever to release their SDK so it's nearly impossible to adapt most things without it. I hope that when the SDK is out there the author of this SimFlightManager regains interest and improves a few details.

Nonetheless it is fully functional as we speak and does a brilliant job as a local logbook. The best I've seen according to my needs. Kudos!

21 hours ago, Wolf0 said:

I've tried SimFlightManager and I have my problem solved.

Awesome, glad I could help.   It's a very under-utilized project...  I've actually just contacted the author on Reddit to see if they plan on doing any future work in it, and if not if they would be willing to release (or open-source) the code for it so others can work in maintenance and feature adds.

3 hours ago, kaosfere said:

Awesome, glad I could help.   It's a very under-utilized project...  I've actually just contacted the author on Reddit to see if they plan on doing any future work in it, and if not if they would be willing to release (or open-source) the code for it so others can work in maintenance and feature adds.

Yes!

Now that would be awesome. Either option would allow us to customize the logbook a little bit further.

I have two flights now and I can say that what's already built is really solid and in some aspects years ahead of other "commercial" logging software available, like the sorting options.

One obvious thing that would be nice to track and is missing is the fuel used. Other little thing that would be good to have is the option to add the flight number after the flight is over. The program assumes the flight number that we have on the aircraft menu options, and my flight planning is via PFPX. I never open the default flight planner nor the aircraft callsign options.

I'm sure there would be tons of other requests to add... but in the end what is already done is enough and very good to use.

Would you keep me advised if the author gives you feedback? Currently I'm not a Reddit user...