Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

Release of UHD Mesh Scenery v4 for X-Plane 11

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

No DSF loading time string associated with the UHD folder.   I guess that I was running under the assumed-it's-working...Jedi Mind Trick.  Bummer...

Does this mesh work with Ortho4XP tiles listed above it in the Scenery.cfg file?  Any suggestions, to why it might not be loading in, where I was taking a flight around Vancouver?

That was my suspicion ... because I was really surprised that it would work "that well" with 12 GB of RAM (which is - I am sorry - relatively unlikely). And thats exactly the reason why I have that paragraph on the website on how to check if it works (because I have seen it happen so many times, that people "think" they use a HD or UHD Mesh ... when it does not even load).

To make sure that it work. well, simply make sure you follow the installation instructions to the letter AND especially take care with the folder structure (there is a small screenshot which shows you how it should look).

And about the coverage ... there are relatively detailed maps on top of my website, which show the exact coverage of the tiles (those hundreds of little, colorful tiles on the maps):

I get the following warnings when loading NZ:

--------------------------------------------------------------

0:00:56.112 I/DSF: Warning for missing scenery file: -39+173
0:00:56.112 I/SCN: DSF load time: 2977579 for file Custom Scenery/zzz_uhd_global_scenery4/Earth nav data/-40+170/-37+173.dsf (233185 tris)
0:00:56.112 I/DSF: Warning for missing scenery file: -38+173
0:00:56.112 I/SCN: DSF load time: 6177911 for file Custom Scenery/zzz_uhd_global_scenery4/Earth nav data/-40+170/-37+175.dsf (1048085 tris)

The remaining dsf's load okay, but these are indeed missing from the package. Is this an issue?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

50 minutes ago, michelh said:

Anyone experience frame drop. My frame drop between 7 to 10 fps.

Hi michelh,

Yes, I get at least a 10 fps drop as well. So far, I just use the LR C172 with the G1000. The scenery is very nice. Looks like another computer is beckoning.

Jim Morgan

2 hours ago, michelh said:

Absolutely not surprising ... this is maybe the heaviest scenery you can get to stress you computer :biggrin:

There is a lengthy warning section on  the website to caution the unprepared users:

5 hours ago, pmb said:

I get the following warnings when loading NZ:

0:00:56.112 I/DSF: Warning for missing scenery file: -39+173
0:00:56.112 I/SCN: DSF load time: 2977579 for file Custom Scenery/zzz_uhd_global_scenery4/Earth nav data/-40+170/-37+173.dsf (233185 tris)
0:00:56.112 I/DSF: Warning for missing scenery file: -38+173
0:00:56.112 I/SCN: DSF load time: 6177911 for file Custom Scenery/zzz_uhd_global_scenery4/Earth nav data/-40+170/-37+175.dsf (1048085 tris)

The remaining dsf's load okay, but these are indeed missing from the package. Is this an issue?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

No worries :biggrin: (I know, this freaks users sometimes ... but its really a non issue):

• the tile names in X-Plane are not some gibberish random numbers.
  • the name of every DSF file is an exact geographic reference to where it belongs .... it tells the coordinates of the lower left corner of each 1x1 degree DSF tile.
  • so, for example -39+173 is a DSF which covers an area from 39S to 38S and 173E to 174E (yes, negative values mean southern latitudes or western longitudes).
  • Now, if you check a map, you will see, that this (example) area is out in the ocean / open water ... no land mass in it.
  • X-Plane does NOT need to have DSFs for water only tiles. It know to draw all water, if there is no DSF for an area.
  • Thats why its "just" warning .... as X-Plane can't know on its own where to expect land and where not ... so it cautions you, that you might be missing a DSF .... but if its all water anyways (in real life), then you can ignore the warning.

And if we are already at it: of course the folders, which contain those DSFs follow the same naming rules (folder name is the lower left coordinate of a given area)  ... The only difference is, that folders always refer to a 10x10 degree area (its like an index ... so DSF files can be structured in sub-folders but allow X-Plane to still quickly find them).

12 minutes ago, alpilotx said:

No worries :biggrin: (I know, this freaks users sometimes ... but its really a non issue):

Thanks Andras, I basically understand the naming/numbering convention, but it did not occur to me that there might be just water. Thanks for explaining.

And thanks for the hard work.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Absolutely not surprising ... this is maybe the heaviest scenery you can get to stress you computer :biggrin:

There is a lengthy warning section on  the website to caution the unprepared users:

Andras, thanks for your patience in explaining this to newbies, as well as for the hard work in making this scenery mesh series available.

X-Plane was the first "legacy" flight sim to break the 64-bit barrier, and it must be a shock to those coming over from other legacy FSX/P3D sims to see add-ons that actually use this much memory.
:happy:

Keep up the good work, it's appreciated!

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks for the info jcjimmy. I removed all HD and UHD Mesh scenery for now until I decide to upgrade my computer.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:45 PM, alpilotx said:

That was my suspicion ... because I was really surprised that it would work "that well" with 12 GB of RAM (which is - I am sorry - relatively unlikely). And thats exactly the reason why I have that paragraph on the website on how to check if it works (because I have seen it happen so many times, that people "think" they use a HD or UHD Mesh ... when it does not even load).

To make sure that it work. well, simply make sure you follow the installation instructions to the letter AND especially take care with the folder structure (there is a small screenshot which shows you how it should look).

And about the coverage ... there are relatively detailed maps on top of my website, which show the exact coverage of the tiles (those hundreds of little, colorful tiles on the maps):

Ah hah...I didn't have all the folders within a Earth Nav folder...will do so immediately and tell you how I fared...thanks Adrian.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:44 PM, jt8d9a said:

Andras, many  thanks for your work! Works on my system (made the log.txt test) and it looks fantastic. I have only 16GB ram but it works.

I'm just about to try it around Vancouver...and the reason that my UHD didn't load in...was that I did not create a Earth nav data folder inside my zzz_uhd, blah, blah.   So, now all the DSF files are within the sub folder. I know it will load in now..but we'll see what running FPS I get. I get around 22-33 with the default XP11.b3 and Andra's v4 HD, (where that covers, if not the whole earth.)  The now fixed UHD will intercept that of course, as it is one above in the Scenery.cfg file.

Well...here goes....:)

Post Edit:  Brutal....7-9 FPS...and no more...so had to delete.  Was worth a try, (smile).

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Had no problems with V1 and none, thus far, with V4.  Check out New Zealand - only the Mt Cook area so far but it's Kiwintessentially superb.

Flying over some orthos with the overlays made with UHD 4 I'm seeing a very nice improvement especially with greater forest data (and less random trees) with no effect on FPS. This is in the Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta area. An excellent upgrade. Thanks Andras!

On 3/24/2018 at 3:44 PM, michelh said:

Yep...try running with the UHD around Campbell River, B.C.   I sat on the runway with exactly that...7 to 10.  I deleted the folder, as I felt my system (at the settings I like) would not be able to handle it...but in fairness, did not try anywhere else. So...I reloaded the UHD folder back into XP11.20b3 and will try other areas...such as New Zealand...before totally clearing it out. Perhaps Campbell River is a FPS killer in it's own right....when I flew that area after the deletion, I only went up about 4 FPS...and that's what convinced me to try again, within UHD's scope.

2 hours ago, Bob Tildesley said:

Flying over some orthos with the overlays made with UHD 4 I'm seeing a very nice improvement especially with greater forest data (and less random trees) with no effect on FPS. This is in the Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta area. An excellent upgrade. Thanks Andras!

Bob, I'm curious.  Try Campbell River, B.C. and tell me what you get just after everything loads in...and on any runway of your choice. The best I could do (with all the same sim setting with, UHD, or without) was 7-10 FPS at taxi...and then taking off, gained about 2 FPS here and there.   I'd be most interested in what your FPS will be. That can help me and others...