Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Freeware airports working in P3DV4?

Resent transition to P3DV4 and loving it. I have a plethora of US domestic pay ware airports because that is most of my simming. For my long haul ports in FSX I used manly freeware because I knew I wouldn't visit them as often. I have several for FSX by Mr. Ray Smith and others that are quite nice and would like to put them into my P3DV4 to use for my PMDG QOTSII Atlas Air liveries. The "read me" file on these always states for FSX so would anyone know if these would affect P3DV4 in a negative way?   I have several Pacific Air Force Bases Atlas flies to along with destinations in Japan, Korea, Australia and even States side.( I enjoy flying the troops home:)

I was wondering if anyone else is using any freeware airports in P3DV4 and could comment on the viability of this. Thanks in advance.  

Multiple apologies for the multiple post. I was hitting the submit button and it appeared nothing was happening. Very sorry. 

Edited by PATCO LCH
Multiple post

Vic green

13 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Multiple apologies for the multiple post. I was hitting the submit button and it appeared nothing was happening. Very sorry. 

The site is reacting slowly this afternoon/evening, depending on your location and amount of members on the site.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

TJBQ (Aguadilla, Puerto Rico) by David Rosario.  It works in P3Dv4 except I had to turn off crash detection.  It has custom buildings and hangars and is very nice.  A person could nitpick the photo transition area, but how can you with such good 3D modelling?

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Ray smith scenery works on P3D but you need to make a little tweak to each airport, otherwise taxi and apron surfaces don´t draw properly. You have to open the airport with ADE, go to List and from there edit the taxi links and aprons draw surface and draw detail to Yes. You can multi edit so you don´t have to do it for each individual taxi link and apron (there´s airports with 2000 of them) then just compile the airport and substitute the original file for the one you get after compiling.  You can also actualize the magnetic declination for each ILS using Airport Inspector and Editor http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html  add any missing PAPI´s and all the jazz.

Maybe it sounds complicated but it´s not, the ADE part takes 2 minutes for each airport and with that they works in P3D no problem, the Airport Inspector and Editor is quite more tiresome it took me maybe 15 hours of work to get all my 120 freeware sceneries actualized.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Wilfredo Byron De Las Flechas said:

Ray smith scenery works on P3D but you need to make a little tweak to each airport, otherwise taxi and apron surfaces don´t draw properly. You have to open the airport with ADE, go to List and from there edit the taxi links and aprons draw surface and draw detail to Yes. You can multi edit so you don´t have to do it for each individual taxi link and apron (there´s airports with 2000 of them) then just compile the airport and substitute the original file for the one you get after compiling.  You can also actualize the magnetic declination for each ILS using Airport Inspector and Editor http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html  add any missing PAPI´s and all the jazz.

Maybe it sounds complicated but it´s not, the ADE part takes 2 minutes for each airport and with that they works in P3D no problem, the Airport Inspector and Editor is quite more tiresome it took me maybe 15 hours of work to get all my 120 freeware sceneries actualized.

Hi Wilfredo,

Thanks for posting this fix for Ray's ADE scenery.  I am trying to get the KROC scenery to have the taxiways and have a question though...  I made the changes and the draw surface and detail for Links and Apron are set to 'yes' .  Recompiled and I am still not seeing the taxiways.  I added a windsock, recompiled and that appears though.  Any ideas on what I may have missed?

Thanks

Kevin

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

2 hours ago, KJConlon said:

Hi Wilfredo,

Thanks for posting this fix for Ray's ADE scenery.  I am trying to get the KROC scenery to have the taxiways and have a question though...  I made the changes and the draw surface and detail for Links and Apron are set to 'yes' .  Recompiled and I am still not seeing the taxiways.  I added a windsock, recompiled and that appears though.  Any ideas on what I may have missed?

Thanks

Kevin

That´s strange, you didn´t miss anything. One thing that occurs to me it´s a issue with the .cvx file ray sceneries tend to include intersecting with the airport surfaces (you can try without the file, it´s a vector file and the airport will work fine without it) other is an elevation issue (if you are using a 3rd party mesh, like Free Mesh for North America) where the terrain intersects the surfaces which you can try an fix changing the airport elevation in ADE by a tiny amount like 0.5 feet and see if that does something.

Otherwise i can´t think why that happens to you. Only two airports i had serious issues with were RJAA wich i couldn´t make work in P3D, with graphical artifacts in the area (gave me a headache in FSX too) and KMCO where trees would draw through taxiways and aprons (but fixed it with a file i got from the orbx forums because i´m using Orbx vector, i can dig it for you if you need it but i found it quickly googling the issue) and then some little problems mostly fixed by deleting the .CVX, maybe if you don´t have orbx vector you don´t even encounter them. Otherwise all the airports worked fine just changing the draw values.

Sometimes apparently marginal changes in ADE fix a problem that appeared more serious, for example in LEMD the localizer for 32R was wrongly offset with full deflection of the needle while on the threshold and i couldn´t fix it through Airport Inspector and Editor, i changed the localizer heading in ADE by 0.0001 degrees, a change so negligible that shouldn´t have any effect, well i loaded the sim again and the localizer was perfectly aligned... So hey if the only thing is going to take to make ray scenery work in your sim is adding a windsock i would say that´s a good deal hahaha.

Please tell me if the windsock issue it happens in more airports, i will download KROA when i have a little time and see if i have problems too. And check ray airports with Airport Inspector and Editor, some of them are a bit old and are missing some ILS or have the wrong designations for them, for example LEMD is missing 18L i think. ANd if you feel a bit lazy you can download this guy sceneries https://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=p3dscen&SearchTerm=+robert+catherall&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View  they are ray scenery ported to P3D (he changed the two values i talked about, but unfortunately he didn´t update papi´s, ils, magnetic declinations...)

Edited by Wilfredo Byron De Las Flechas

Speaking of localizers...FYI ....  the localizer/GS at MSLP is also misplaced in default P3D/FSX scenery. There's a fix in the AVSIM file library for it.  Or you can go into ADE and fix it yourself, in about 5 minutes time.

Rhett

Here's another freeware scenery I'm using in my P3Dv4 setup:

KABQ - Alburqueruqe Sunport by Matthew Derr.  I'm pretty sure it's here at AVSIM also.  While its underlying photo doesn't merge well with the default Orbx stuff (which is way too green, imo) -- it's way better than the default KABQ -- but of course as the author states in his readme, it is hold-me-over scenery, as in it holds you over until a commercial dev tackles it (which they may have by now, I haven't checked).

Anyway, an important thing I've noticed about porting older scenery into P3Dv4 -- lots of times you will find duplicate scenery objects, or default objects showing.  This is probably because the excludes aren't set up for P3D.  The fix involves loading up ADE and creating excludes to surround the offending objects.

Matthew Derr's KABQ, mentioned above, for example -- has duplicate glideslope boxes and glideslope towers, and it also looks like duplicate taxi signs.  All easily fixed via ADE.  The fact that he modelled the terminal building in his scenery makes it 100% more immersive than default.

Rhett

Mace -- just FYI, KABQ is being done by TropicalSim. Here is a link to their preview: http://tropicalsim.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=265

According to other posts by TS, they are to make a public progress update sometime in April.

Also, if you can't fix KROC, there is a commercial version that just came out for $19 -- http://secure.simmarket.com/fsxcenery-_kroc-greater-rochester-airport-fsx-p3d.phtml

I have no connection with either entity :)

Edited by pgde
Added KABQ info

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

20 hours ago, georgio1952 said:

all latest Robert Catherall AFCAD scenery works with P3D v4.2

Could you confirm me, when you have time, if you receive the KSEA ILS for 16C  in Roberts´scenery, i can´t make it work. It´s the same frequency as 34C and i receive that just fine but no luck with 16C.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:58 AM, georgio1952 said:

all latest Robert Catherall AFCAD scenery works with P3D v4.2

Robert is converting all Ray Smith AFCAD to P3D4.

• Upvote 1