Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Xplane global scenery

Hey guys

i am interested in trying xplane 11

currently on P3d v4

i curious to know is there any global scenery that is like ftx global rather than ortho4xp 

ad it chews up A lot of gb

xplane will be on separate ssd 

and I have a 3tb HD for add ons is that ok?

what plugins do you guys recommend ??

thanks

mike

Hi,

The only major options right now for X-Plane 11 scenery are the default (plausible world) and the Ortho.

That being said, there are some interesting bolt on scenery products that can enhance these scenery options (Newly released seasons option, replacement textures and objects, better elevation date, etc..) 

Unfortunately, there is nothing on the caliber of FTX Global for X-Plane that I am aware of...

While I like the X-Plane scenery objects and the plausible world system, there is something not immersive about the absence of many land features that are not depicted in the default textures (baseball fields, concrete areas, parks, cemeteries, colleges, stadiums, shopping enters, etc...)

49 minutes ago, flybius said:

The only major options right now for X-Plane 11 scenery are the default (plausible world) and the Ortho.

Hmm, not exactly .... As we also have:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Hmm, not exactly .... As we also have:

Thanks for the info.

12 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Thanks for the info.

Do I need to have both installed?

thanks

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

No. Although you can have more than one mesh for the same region installed, X-Plane will only use the one which has the highest priority in the scenery_packs.ini.

So if you want to use UHD mesh for the regions it is available for, it would be a waste of HDD space to also have installed HD mesh for the same region.

Please also note that "mesh" in X-Plane is a bit different than in P3D. In X-Plane, the mesh is not just the height model of the world, but includes also all the information on rivers, streets, power lines, railroads, and so on, and all the landclass information. Also, photo scenery (Ortho4XP) is ALSO a mesh of its own. It's just that this mesh has photo textures attached.

And you should make sure you have enough RAM (officially, alpilotx always says, at least 16 GB and better 32 GB for HD mesh, and 32 GB or better 64 GB for UHD mesh, but you'll probably get along with less).

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

3 hours ago, mikeymike said:

thanks

Do not NEED, but you can .... As MarioDonnick also pointed out. And usually - contrary to his wording - I (and most users) have them both installed at the same time (at least users whose computer is powerful enough - especially enough RAM), just having UHD Mesh Scenery v4 positioned above HD Mesh Scenery v4 in the scenery_packs.ini (this way automatically get UHD where its available and fall back to HD where not). Of course, in overlapping areas you have some redundancy (and "waste" of disk space) .... but compared with Ortho4XP scenery (where every tile - especially with higher res orthoimagery - takes up a really big chunk of disk space) its not such a big issue (especially if you have enough HDD / SD space).

1 hour ago, alpilotx said:

And usually - contrary to his wording - I (and most users) have them both installed at the same time (at least users whose computer is powerful enough - especially enough RAM), just having UHD Mesh Scenery v4 positioned above HD Mesh Scenery v4 in the scenery_packs.ini (this way automatically

Question: What is the advantage? Why should I download and install the same tile in two versions? Just to avoid thinking about which tiles I need and which I don't (i.e. easier installation)?

Hey guys thanks for the input much appreciated.

ok so in short

i can use just uhd mesh scenery  which is like “ftx global” 

my current rig 

i7 4790k 4.7ghz stable

asus vi extreme mobo

2xssd one for p3d v4.2 one for os

2x 8gb Corsair vengeance 2400mhz

2xtitan sc 6gb sli

soon to be 1080ti kingpin 

2x 3tb 7200rpm HDd

this sufficient??

can I just have xplane 11 on ssd 

and all add ons on HD’s??

sorry for all the questions 

Im eager to try xplane I’ve read there is a lot of plugins to choose from don’t know where to begin lo

thanks

mike

15 minutes ago, MarioDonick said:

Question: What is the advantage? Why should I download and install the same tile in two versions? Just to avoid thinking about which tiles I need and which I don't (i.e. easier installation)?

Well, "to make your life harder" (of course not), I didn't release UHD Mesh Scenery v4 in the exact same tiling schema as HD Mesh (10x10 degree tiles) .... Which you might already have noticed.

One of the reasons is, that UHD Mesh Scenery v4 is more oriented along where it made to sense to have it (and where I had good data).

So, for this reason you can't completely avoid to have overlapping data anyways ...

12 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Hey guys thanks for the input much appreciated.

ok so in short

2x 8gb Corsair vengeance 2400mhz

mike

... You are writing a lot about your hardware, which is quite powerful ... but that single line about your RAM might be the show stopper ... as this is 16 GByte only. And there is a clear sentence on my website, which say "32 GBytes of RAM are highly recommended" ... Even though, you might be lucky with 16 GB, and maybe can run some areas ... but others might end up in OOMs.

21 minutes ago, alpilotx said:

... You are writing a lot about your hardware, which is quite powerful ... but that single line about your RAM might be the show stopper ... as this is 16 GByte only. And there is a clear sentence on my website, which say "32 GBytes of RAM are highly recommended" ... Even though, you might be lucky with 16 GB, and maybe can run some areas ... but others might end up in OOMs.

Ok thanks

is there an alternative add on to uhd mesh 

where my 16gb is enough ??

3 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Ok thanks

is there an alternative add on to uhd mesh 

where my 16gb is enough ??

Did you read my first comment :biggrin:? There was that other one:

This is for you, as my website says:

16 GBytes of RAM are highly recommended (32 GBytes are optimal)! Although some areas might work with 8 GBytes of RAM too.

HD mesh Scenery v4 also has a much larger coverage (of course at the cost of a little less eye candy ... but it should  suffice in most places).

17 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Which you might already have noticed.

No :D Well, makes sense.