Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Odgers

DXGI Prepar3d V4 Help!!

14 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

I made the prepar3D forum recommended registry change (the 64bit entry) and have not had this error.

The TdrLevel nor the TdrDelay edit works for me.  I have tried 32 bit and 64 bit versions as read it doesnt matter which you use, I have read forums saying set the Delay to 8 seconds, read another last night said 60 seconds...neither worked for me.  Get system lock up using 32 bit entry and still get DXGI crash using the 64 bit version.  Im about to completely quit as had enough of this rubbish and LM not adding any insight.  On any test flight I do as soon as it goes dark boom the sim crashes

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

As you use an 1080ti the chance is high that it is already overclocked by the manufacturer. I've read an post months ago with similar problems, that guy reduced the OEM overclock and his problem were gone.

As you have already tried many things one more wouldn't hurt 😉

And BTW i wouldn't blame LM in this case, for me it sounds more like a hardware fault, have you monitored your gfx card data using tools like GPU-Z during using P3D?

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

1 hour ago, JoeFackel said:

for me it sounds more like a hardware fault, have you monitored your gfx card data using tools like GPU-Z during using P3D?

Hi Joe,

Then explain why this is affecting a significant number of users. It does seem very unlikely that they are all experiencing hardware faults unless, that is, it is involving some form of instability. For the record, I have a 1080Ti (overclocked by the manufacturer) and I have never seen this issue. Something else could be happening. To help isolate the problem, those affected by this would benefit from input by a troubleshooting guru. A more logical approach is what is required. Any offers?

Swapping out the GPU might be a helpful first step.

Also, I doubt the wisdom of using tools like GPU-Z without knowing what to look for. Perhaps you could spare a few moments to elaborate.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

The suggestions i share are based on experience from myself and from others. And the data of GPU-Z has more wisdom in it than assumptions, if the shown GPU-usage near 100% and the temps raised too high the chances to get driver errors is pretty high.

And BTW, i don't see a "significant" numbers of users with this DXGI problem.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

18 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Hi Joe,

Okay, fair enough. I admit it was more my impression than based on fact.

Your comments regarding temps are certainly worth considering. My GPU rarely exceeds 70C (usually much lower) and I lock at 31fps. Running with an unlimited setting (without VSync?) might be overtaxing those affected GPUs.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

3 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

As you use an 1080ti the chance is high that it is already overclocked by the manufacturer. I've read an post months ago with similar problems, that guy reduced the OEM overclock and his problem were gone.

As you have already tried many things one more wouldn't hurt 😉

And BTW i wouldn't blame LM in this case, for me it sounds more like a hardware fault, have you monitored your gfx card data using tools like GPU-Z during using P3D?

I have already tested by reducing my core and memory clock speeds by 100 MHz and it made absolutely no difference. I have also reset my CPU to stock speeds and updates my BIOS to the latest... it did not help a single bit. Yes I have had GPUZ running with the sensor tab open and all looks fine and last night I ran FurMark for 30mins on a stress test at 4k resolution and the highest settings. GPU temps topped at 84 degrees but absolutely no problems running the test. We can't all be having hardware problems. I can play Destiny 2 at 4k and every setting maxed without a single issue so the GPU and PSU etc are fine

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

2 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

You should follow the few main Facebook groups for P3D 4 and P3D 3 & 4 as they are full of users experiencing it. Ive commented myself so many times there till I'm blue in the face so finally posted on LM forums but they have yet to even comment

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Swapping out the GPU might be a helpful first step

I sold my previous gtx 980 when I bought the 1080ti. I still have an old gtx480 could test but it wouldn't be like for like as it doesn't have display port connections to my knowledge so may be difficult to connect to the same monitor to get 4k. Unsure if the card even supports that resolution. I also have a 24" 1080p monitor could test though ideally needs to be the same setup

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

I monitor every flight so far. Maybe 40% utilization and maybe 60*C.

I do blame LM for this. They've made it so that when you have a driver crash, it crashes the sim. FSX never had that problem. So somewhere in their tweaking of the base FSX code, they've changed something that now puts an emphasis on a driver crash. If they just eliminate that, we would be one step closer.

Driver crashes aren't good but at least you'd have some predictable game play (e.g. finish a flight).

I can't believe after all these comments the last two days, we aren't anywhere closer to an actual fix. So far (and while I appreciate the comments) we've only got windows hacks, just like the FSX days and other minor stuff.

Edited by garymcginnis

As far as reducing my clock speed. I'll try it but that is total garbage. I didn't buy a KINGPIN GTX980 to have to roll it back to OEM stock. That's just dumb 🙃

Edited by garymcginnis

Hello all.

I have or had the same problem. I changed my graphics card from a GTX980 to a Geforce 1080ti Extreme Core from Zotac. When I run it with the stock overclock I get the DXGI hung error very often. Now I reduced the clock speeds, both memory and core by around 55 and the DXGI error rarely happens.
The only time I get the DXGI hung error now is when I fly with the PMDG 777 for a longhaul flight and it gets dark. Last time it happend after 5 hours into a flight from EDDF to VTBS.

Otherwise I also tried nearly everything that is suggested in the various forums, but nothing 100% cures this problem. Proably I will open a warranty case and return the card. 

Thanks & bye

Jan

1 hour ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I can play Destiny 2 at 4k and every setting maxed without a single issue so the GPU and PSU etc are fine

Hi Chris,

You’ve pre-empted my next question. If the card is stable while under sustained stressful conditions then I think we can rule out the card or, indeed the drivers. We need to look elsewhere.

I have not reviewed this thread in its entirety, but I am wondering whether you have managed to run any tests with the sim in a stripped back state? 

Temporarily disable all your Addons listed in-sim and all the items loading via the DLL.XML and EXE.XML files found in the AppData and ProgramData folders. While you’re at it, disable all the 3rd Party airports, including those from ORBX, listed in Scenery.cfg as this allows for faster loading speeds of the sim during testing. Leave everything else in the Scenery Library meantime.

Backup your Prepar3D.cfg file and then delete it.

Delete your Shaders folder (NOT ShadersHLSL) and, if necessary (previous use of a Shaders utility like PTA), restore the default shaders files in the ShadersHLSL folder in Prepar3D v4 root.

Delete all content of the SceneryIndexes_64 folder.

Now Run Prepar3D and resize the window to allow you to view and run other apps on the desktop.

Don’t make any adjustments to the configuration. Run with all the defaults meantime.

Run your tests and try to trigger the DXGI error/crash.

If all is well, then you should begin the process of re-enabling items one by one until, hopefully, you isolate the cause. 

Regards,

Mike

Edit: If you have been using NVidia Inspector then restore all Settings to their default values.

Edited by Cruachan

7 minutes ago, Jan Urban said:

but nothing 100% cures this problem

So this means it's a LM issue. Personally I can't play a game where you invest so much time into, knowing it will probably crash. What a waste of time.

Really regretting all the money I've spent to get back into flight sim right now. There has to be a fix to allow for piece of mind. A true fix. Not, oh just don't use NVI. If LM wants to go away from NVI, that's fine but they need to provide more graphics control options in game (such as VSYNC 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc).

I'm sorry if I'm sounding brash but I have no tolerance right now for this crap. I'm sure I'm not alone either.

36 minutes ago, garymcginnis said:

So this means it's a LM issue. Personally I can't play a game where you invest so much time into, knowing it will probably crash. What a waste of time.

Really regretting all the money I've spent to get back into flight sim right now. There has to be a fix to allow for piece of mind. A true fix. Not, oh just don't use NVI. If LM wants to go away from NVI, that's fine but they need to provide more graphics control options in game (such as VSYNC 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc).

I'm sorry if I'm sounding brash but I have no tolerance right now for this crap. I'm sure I'm not alone either.

Hi Gary,

I can understand your anger and frustration over this. However, the reality behind your reasoning must be flawed. If those that are experiencing this issue are relatively small in number then the majority, myself included, will be feeling puzzled by your assertions.

I have installed all the point updates since version 4.0 and, hand on heart, can say that Prepar3D is, and remains, rock solid stable. If you have read some of my posts in other threads or were aware of my transient involvements with some 3rd Party Developers then you will know that I have put this sim through the mill with various testing procedures. Never once have I encountered a crash or show-stopping problem that is directly attributable to LM. Also, I have never felt the need to reinstall the sim as part of those procedures.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, garymcginnis said:

that's fine but they need to provide more graphics control options in game (such as VSYNC 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc).

You do know, those options do not work in P3D?

I think that practically everything that does work can be changed in NVCP.