Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Odgers

DXGI Prepar3d V4 Help!!

Hi,

This may seem, and most likely is, a bit left field but I have another suggestion.

A few days ago I experienced some unexpected errors while booting into Windows. Also my antivirus product started reporting invalid certificate authentications effectively blocking my attempts to access websites. Entering the system UEFI BIOS revealed my overclock configuration had gone and the BIOS had reset itself back to its default settings. Also, the day, month and time were incorrect and the year was 2000. Once I updated the date and time everything proceeded normally once again. Same thing happened the following day. 

My rig is only 2-3 years old so CMOS battery failure seemed rather unlikely, but I thought it wise to rule it out. Imagine my surprise when I measured the voltage as 0.05V!!. How the heck was my system working at all? This does not happen overnight and yet everything was stable up until a couple of days ago. I rechecked the voltage after leaving the battery for 10-15 minutes and some modest recovery had taken place: 0.15V, which was still far too low. So I installed a fresh battery with a measured healthy voltage of 3.29V.

They say you should replace the battery if the voltage drops to 2.5V. Allowing it to drop to 1.8V and below can give rise to all manner of instabilities.

Suffice it to say all is well once again...and a very useful lesson has been learned!

Moral of this tale: The age of the motherboard is no guarantee of the health of its CMOS battery. Always worth checking if only to identify a possible failing battery as being the potential/actual cause of any system instabilities or errors.

Mike

• Upvote 1

I've had the guy replace the CMOS battery.

Another theory I'm maybe thinking about is the card itself. I guess I'd like some opinions.

I currently have the EVGA KINGPIN 980 that was supposedly "super overclocked" from KINGPIN. When I used it for FSX, the driver would crash every few flights but I'd be able to continue with the flight since FSX did not have this DXGI check. Thinking about that last night got me wondering if the card was overclocked to much if that's a thing? Like "stable" but not "stable" for flight sim. Also its only a 4GB card. Could that be causing some issues? 

I'm asking for opinions only because I can get an 1080ti ASUS ROG card for a reasonable price BUT I don't want to go down another money hole if I don't need to swap out the card or if it won't fix the DXGI errors.

Thanks

21 hours ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Just spent £200 on new control yoke, throttles and REX Sky Force as sim has run well for the past week, 10 mins into a flight and I am totally gutted as just got device_hung crash.  I knew I shouldnt have posted earlier about it

I have another hunch.....

Can you do me a favor? I had to two successful flights when I first started with P3D. It was FLL-SXM-FLL. Then I think I turned on HDR lightning. In my brainstorming today I thought that HDR was the common variable between the successful flights and the unsuccessful flights. I seem to recall a bug with HDR a few versions back as well.

Can you tell me if you've had HDR lightning on or off? Also, if on can you try a few flights with it off if you have some time.

Thanks

Edited by garymcginnis

9 minutes ago, garymcginnis said:

I have another hunch.....

Can you do me a favor? I had to two successful flights when I first started with P3D. It was FLL-SXM-FLL. Then I think I turned on HDR lightning. In my brainstorming today I thought that HDR was the common variable between the successful flights and the unsuccessful flights. I seem to recall a bug with HDR a few versions back as well.

Can you tell me if you've had HDR lightning on or off? Also, if on can you try a few flights with it off if you have some time.

Thanks

HDR lighting is always on and I won't be simming with it off as that's like going back to FS 9. I have tried in past dynamic lights on or off. Currently testing with power limit at 70%

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

31 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

HDR lighting is always on and I won't be simming with it off as that's like going back to FS 9. I have tried in past dynamic lights on or off. Currently testing with power limit at 70%

Chris

I know it looks nice. Just troubleshooting since that's one of the common variables for me. Because if it is HDR that is causing this, we at least know and can report it to P3D.

Edited by garymcginnis

17 hours ago, garymcginnis said:

I’m asking for opinions only because I can get an 1080ti ASUS ROG card for a reasonable price BUT I don't want to go down another money hole if I don't need to swap out the card or if it won't fix the DXGI errors.

Hi Gary,

Have you had a chance to test since the CMOS battery was replaced? If this proves to be another blind alley then I would suggest you try to ‘borrow’ another GPU to eliminate that as being the cause. Is it likely your PC technician would be prepared to do this for you and you could ‘pilot the ship’ under his/her supervision?

14 hours ago, garymcginnis said:

Because if it is HDR that is causing this, we at least know and can report it to P3D.

I’m afraid that is likely to be another red herring. In the main I think we can be pretty confident that HDR works well and most of us are using it without any issues.

Regards,

Mike

If the hardware is crashing the driver it's no wonder P3D will crash also. Too compare that with FSX is ... uhm, not wise because the ESP engine is completely overhauled for new DirectX-Version.

Stay away from overclocked GPU's. Running on higher voltages and higher temps meas more wear on the transistors which may resulting in degrading reliability and driver crashes may be the result.

If you have the chance then clock it down to NVIDIA's recommended clock and voltage numbers for your GPU.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Throwing something in: if you are already considering things that might cause your issues related to electricity inside your rig, did you ever think about your PSU? Sometimes rather inconsistent "strange" errors are also related to cheap or old (or both) PSU that can simply not cope anymore with the loadchanges on the VGA rails leading to crashes of the VGA driver. Especially if you consider going from a 980 to a 1080Ti OC I would seriously consider checking if your PSU still meets the requirements. And no, a PSU with a high wattage number printed on it is not necessarily a good PSU...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I found using the nvidia inspector was the problem. I never could run the latest drivers without this happening now it’s fine

8 minutes ago, JA806A said:

I found using the nvidia inspector was the problem. I never could run the latest drivers without this happening now it’s fine

Many of us wish it was so simple. I like so many don't even use NI yet get DXGI crashes. I've no need for it as my monitor can be set to do 24, 30 and 60hz

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Ive been having the DXGI Hung and DXGI Removed for the past week now. I have no idea what or why it started. I am pulling what is left of my hair out though trying to fix it.

Edited by comair25

I've tried the newest driver after doing a ddu uninstall. Still the problem occurred. My 1080 ti is factory overclocked and I dont mess with it. I dont use NI, only the NCP and I still have the issue. It makes no sense that were have been able to use all of these Including a factory overclocked gpu and now all of a sudden that may be the problem. It normally happens to me when switching views expect for the last time which happened when I minimized Vatpsy of all things. I do not have this problem in any other game, including xplane  11. 

Edited by comair25