Sign in to follow this  
TheScarebus

Nvidia Settings

I have been tweaking settings on Nvidia Inspector now for a while with no success. I have tried various settings like vsync 1/2 refresh rate (know it doesn't properly work with v4 but many say it helps) and limiter to 30fps etc. My monitor is 60hz, with only 50 hz compatibility, not 30hz. I cannot find settings that give smooth viewing most of the time. I can retain 30fps, but not 50+ consistently, and all the settings I have tried for 30fps like 1/2 refresh vsync with and without fps limiter have all appeared choppy and not smooth in any location. Any help?

P3DV4

Specs:

GTX 1060 6GB

I5 7600K

16GB RAM

1 hour ago, TheScarebus said:

I have been tweaking settings on Nvidia Inspector now for a while with no success. I have tried various settings like vsync 1/2 refresh rate (know it doesn't properly work with v4 but many say it helps) and limiter to 30fps etc. My monitor is 60hz, with only 50 hz compatibility, not 30hz. I cannot find settings that give smooth viewing most of the time. I can retain 30fps, but not 50+ consistently, and all the settings I have tried for 30fps like 1/2 refresh vsync with and without fps limiter have all appeared choppy and not smooth in any location. Any help?

P3DV4

Specs:

GTX 1060 6GB

I5 7600K

16GB RAM

For P3Dv4, you should never ever use the Nvidia Inspector.  Lockheed Martin built the graphics settings into the P3D.cfg.  I provided my settings to another member today and here they are - https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhI63XLVLrGnhGDxBE3LGnk_qfIf

In the Nvidia Control Panel, make sure the "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" is set to Full Screen.  Default value is Aspect ratio.  In the "Manage 3D Settings" for Prepar3D, I have changed the following settings:

Texture Filtering - AA sample - ON

Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias - Clamp (this reduces stuttering/shimmering but not completely).  You will never ever see stuttering or shimmering gone completely until the P3D engine (which is an off-shoot of FSX) can be changed.  Right now they have some limitations based on the Microsoft licensing.

Texture Filtering - Quality - High Quality (you might try Performance or High Performance too)(I use High Quality as I have a powerful system).

Texture Filtering - Trilinear optimization - On (believe I turned this on as the Guru - Rob Ainscough recommended it somewhere and I only listen to Rob when using P3D:smile:).

The AVSIM P3D Configuration Guide was originally developed for P3Dv3 backwards.  It was not developed for V4 but many of the suggestions still apply.  I will attempt to update it in the future as Rob has a real time job and is not fully retired like me.  He also likes making YouTube videos to show off a new product.

In regards to getting 50+ fps consistently with your system, it's most likely not going to happen (can't just say not).  I cannot get it to happen consistently with my powerful system (see my signature for system specs).  I can easily get up to 300 fps with default scenery, aircraft, and settings (no sliders touched).  When you add the eye-candy, things go South fast.  The higher the settings you use in P3D and the more eye-candy software add-ons you install and use, the less likely for success.  IMHO, anything over 30 is pure unadulterated success and you have achieved the ultimate in flight simulation.  Anything less than 15 is reason to be concerned but only if it is for an extended period of time.  For instance, here is a flight from FSDT KLAX to FlightBeam's KPHX over Orbx SoCal and MSE UltraHi Res Phoenix and MSE Arizona.  I was flying the PMDG 737 and enabled ASP4/AS CloudArt.  UT Live was enabled.  Weather was raining at departure and partly sunny on arrival.  This is the FSUIPC5 report on the flight:

Minimum frame rate was 5.7 fps, Maximum was 61.5 fps
Average frame rate for running time of 2697 secs = 44.2 fps
Maximum AI traffic for session was 301 aircraft

I do not recall when the sim went to 5.7fps.  I'm certain it was just for a fraction of a second and probably while setting up the flight or while things were loading.  The flight was smooth and enjoyable.  The scenery textures were mostly crisp and clear but not like in real life as that will never happen with today's technology.  Now, an average of 44 fps is pretty darn good.  I even flew over Orbx's KPSP (Palm Springs) enroute!  When flying over PSP at FL290, I do feel stutters but nothing to be concerned with.  Enjoy the hobby of flight simulation and quit the tweaking.  If there was the 'holy grail' of tweaks or settings, you can be sure they would be well-publicized and they are not.  Just remember, because systems are running faster and faster and providing better performance, the eye-candy developers are hard at work to give you even more eye-candy as their mission is to make their product look stunning and they really do not test for performance purposes. So you have to keep your P3D settings set pretty conservatively to really enjoy.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, TheScarebus said:

P3DV4

Specs:

GTX 1060 6GB

I5 7600K

16GB RAM

Unfortunately unless u can match your monitor refresh rate with your fps u will never get a totally stutter free experience.  However many will argue this.  It’s a shame the 1/2 monitor sync setting will not work with P3D.  The best way to go is buy a 30hz capable monitor.

Matt Wilson

This is correct Matt. 

When you match your monitor refresh (60) with your frame rate (60) the difference between smooth (occasional micro stutters or similar) and fluid become self evident. Everything else is a compromise, depending.

Cheers,

Mark

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

For P3Dv4, you should never ever use the Nvidia Inspector.  Lockheed Martin built the graphics settings into the P3D.cfg.  I provided my settings to another member today and here they are - https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhI63XLVLrGnhGDxBE3LGnk_qfIf

In the Nvidia Control Panel, make sure the "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" is set to Full Screen.  Default value is Aspect ratio.  In the "Manage 3D Settings" for Prepar3D, I have changed the following settings:

Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias - Clamp (this reduces stuttering/shimmering but not completely).  You will never ever see stuttering or shimmering gone completely until the P3D engine (which is an off-shoot of FSX) can be changed.  Right now they have some limitations based on the Microsoft licensing.

Texture Filtering - Quality - High Quality (you might try Performance or High Performance too)(I use High Quality as I have a powerful system).

Texture Filtering - Trilinear optimization - On (believe I turned this on as the Guru - Rob Ainscough recommended it somewhere and I only listen to Rob when using P3D:smile:).

The AVSIM P3D Configuration Guide was originally developed for P3Dv3 backwards.  It was not developed for V4 but many of the suggestions still apply.  I will attempt to update it in the future as Rob has a real time job and is not fully retired like me.  He also likes making YouTube videos to show off a new product.

In regards to getting 50+ fps consistently with your system, it's most likely not going to happen (can't just say not).  I cannot get it to happen consistently with my powerful system (see my signature for system specs).  I can easily get up to 300 fps with default scenery, aircraft, and settings (no sliders touched).  When you add the eye-candy, things go South fast.  The higher the settings you use in P3D and the more eye-candy software add-ons you install and use, the less likely for success.  IMHO, anything over 30 is pure unadulterated success and you have achieved the ultimate in flight simulation.  Anything less than 15 is reason to be concerned but only if it is for an extended period of time.  For instance, here is a flight from FSDT KLAX to FlightBeam's KPHX over Orbx SoCal and MSE UltraHi Res Phoenix and MSE Arizona.  I was flying the PMDG 737 and enabled ASP4/AS CloudArt.  UT Live was enabled.  Weather was raining at departure and partly sunny on arrival.  This is the FSUIPC5 report on the flight:

I do not recall when the sim went to 5.7fps.  I'm certain it was just for a fraction of a second and probably while setting up the flight or while things were loading.  The flight was smooth and enjoyable.  The scenery textures were mostly crisp and clear but not like in real life as that will never happen with today's technology.  Now, an average of 44 fps is pretty darn good.  I even flew over Orbx's KPSP (Palm Springs) enroute!  When flying over PSP at FL290, I do feel stutters but nothing to be concerned with.  Enjoy the hobby of flight simulation and quit the tweaking.  If there was the 'holy grail' of tweaks or settings, you can be sure they would be well-publicized and they are not.  Just remember, because systems are running faster and faster and providing better performance, the eye-candy developers are hard at work to give you even more eye-candy as their mission is to make their product look stunning and they really do not test for performance purposes. So you have to keep your P3D settings set pretty conservatively to really enjoy.

Best regards,

Jim

Do you have any screenshots of your sim ? might try out your settings ☺️

Paul Wain

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

For P3Dv4, you should never ever use the Nvidia Inspector.  Lockheed Martin built the graphics settings into the P3D.cfg. ....

..... If there was the 'holy grail' of tweaks or settings, you can be sure they would be well-publicized and they are not.  Just remember, because systems are running faster and faster and providing better performance, the eye-candy developers are hard at work to give you even more eye-candy as their mission is to make their product look stunning and they really do not test for performance purposes. So you have to keep your P3D settings set pretty conservatively to really enjoy.

Best regards,

Jim

False. Jim, I love you and appreciate all you do around here, but hardware is changing ...and Prepared is dynamic. Below is a video I captured just for you -my screen size is 1920x1200, video captured with Fraps, video compressed at 1920x1080. The bottom 120 lines of resolution are cropped due to aspect ratio difference. This is Prepared V4.2 at 8xSS <---Prepared option, with NVinspector 8xSGSS Transparency. If you see stutters play this video on your ipad. No tweaks! Nvidia Control Panel is at default. Nvinspector base is at default, the prepared profile has only the 8xSGSS enabled.

Edited by FunknNasty

5 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Best regards,

Jim

Thank you very much for this detailed response. I am trying to find the right balance of performance and looks, which I'm sure your settings will help to do. I understand that my system is not the most powerful, but a relatively smooth performance should still be attainable. 

Kind Regards,

Ben

12 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Best regards,

Jim

@Jim Young, just to clarify, when you say "Texture Filtering - AA Sample - ON", are you referring to Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample?  It's the only option under Nvidia Control Panel "Manage 3D settings".

Edited by DylanC

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

I should have indicated AF instead of AA and yes that was what I was referring to.  I would just skip those suggestions.  They will not make any major changes to your graphics.  I only suggested them as the settings are required for DirectX programs and P3D is a directx program.  Just leaving the settings at the default will cause P3D to look the same.  I am not suggesting anything that would make P3D look unbelievably great.  If it does change anything, it would be very difficult to see it.  I just know that clamping the negative lod bias helped in FSX as it reduced some shimmering.  But now we know what causes shimmering and that's shaders as discovered by SteveP (who later developed the DX10 Fixer for FSX).

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

9 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

False. Jim, I love you and appreciate all you do around here, but hardware is changing ...and Prepared is dynamic.

Hi Ken,

You are right but the 8xSGSS setting is a known killer for FPS and, if you have a super system, that would be the setting to use but most members do not have powerful systems (yet).  Still, even with that setting, I have seen "the blurries" and some shimmering but obviously it is the best setting currently provided by Nvidia for P3D especially if you are only loading default scenery.  If you are loading the eye-candy stuff, then your FPS is going to suffer and the OP was trying to find a way to improve FPS.  I will change my recommendation though or indicate that if your system is powerful enough to handle that setting, use it!  It is still not the "holy grail" of settings because of the obvious effect on performance for those with less powerful systems.  Thanks for your help (and the video!).

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM

42 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Hi Ken,

You are right but the 8xSGSS setting is a known killer for FPS and, if you have a super system, that would be the setting to use but most members do not have powerful systems (yet).  Still, even with that setting, I have seen "the blurries" and some shimmering but obviously it is the best setting currently provided by Nvidia for P3D especially if you are only loading default scenery.  If you are loading the eye-candy stuff, then your FPS is going to suffer and the OP was trying to find a way to improve FPS.  I will change my recommendation though or indicate that if your system is powerful enough to handle that setting, use it!  It is still not the "holy grail" of settings because of the obvious effect on performance for those with less powerful systems.  Thanks for your help (and the video!).

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yeah, I was hitting on the larger point of system performance, that being: one is not going to get a 65,000 lb load up a hill with an old pickup, either lighten the load or get a bigger truck.

...And there are game changing trucks that can get the job done today ....maybe not the "holy grail" but certainly, in this drivers eyes, nirvana. :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I just know that clamping the negative lod bias helped in FSX as it reduced some shimmering.

I gave this a go just to see what it would do for my shimmers, particularly in the night environment.  It made a profoundly positive difference.  Not eliminated, as you already acknowledged, but certainly much better.  Thank you.

Edited by medx421
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/24/2018 at 8:56 PM, Jim Young said:

Thank you

you have no idea how much this helped. My sim was a mess before.