Sign in to follow this  
Novej757

A New Take On the CJ2 GTN 750 Integration

17 hours ago, ganter said:

Jevon, this mod looks very brilliant indeed. I know it's crazy to say but I don't have the GTN750 (yet) but the way you've modded the other aircraft systems - de-ice, sounds, performance, etc - I'd love to implement those in my cj2.

Is it possible to do that without the GTN 750 bits?

Hi Ganter,

So short answer, yes I could implement the mod without the GTN.  However, I have so many plans with it right now, doing it would be put on the back burner. Honestly, this mod centers around the GTN as it was the whole reason I started it in the first place.  Trust me (and everyone else here) the GTN is THAT GOOD!  Honestly, I was a strictly (airliner) sim pilot until I downloaded it...Now I split my time between the CJ and and heavy tin, primarily because of the capabilities the GTN brings to the CJ.  Now Flight 1 is offering a GTN Complete series which includes a 650 and the 750!  Well worth it in my opinion!!!  The GTN and this mod work well on their own, but together it really is a great combo IMO!!!

UPDATE 8/17/18

Well not much to report unfortunately as I have not worked on the CJ at all.  School is back in session not to mention my little baby girl is RUNNING me into the ground (pray for me yall hahaha).  With that being said, the project begins tonight.  As soon as I get the mod out to all those who have requested it, and clean out my inbox here I will be starting the "YUGE" update LOL.   

Now about that update, guys I think some of you may be expecting a little too much from that last update so let me provide some clarity on where the project is headed.  As I mentioned we have a real life CJ2+ pilot who has already provided some really valuable input (That was the "yuge" part I was referring too 😉 ) I wish you could see just how long and in depth the emails he sent me are.  So the first thing I will be doing is going through them and deciding what I can incorporate and what I can't (based on my limited skills).  Don't get me wrong he had very positive things to say about the mod as is.  He was just giving me some real world characteristics of the CJ2+ that could add even more to the immersion experience.  For example here is one of the things I'll be attempting to add from his email....

"Also, missing the white Hyd Flow annunciator when actuating the speedbarkes, flaps or gear. (Though I'm not sure if that's actually on the CJ2 panel)"

Features like these will be coming down in various hot fixes that hopefully AVSIM will allow me to link right here in this thread (SO MAKE SURE YOU SUBSCRIBE OR WHATEVER YOU DO HERE AT AVSIM TO WATCH THIS THREAD AFTER YOU GET THE MOD).  Its a great problem to have, but there is just way to many of you now for me to continue sending the hot fixes through the email like I had been doing 😄! Like I said, I'm focusing solely on the CJ2+ as most of the features I include on it, will be able to carry directly over to the CJ2 (but not all obviously).  As I add features through the hot fixs I will still give you a description of the feature and how to operate it (maybe with a video like before). 

Overall, I am very happy with where the mod is, and our PILOT seems to be too.  More importantly I am so thrilled with the interest that all of you have had in it.  I never expected that.  If you go back to the beginning of this thread you will see I was just sharing what I was toying around with on my own, and then one person asked for a copy, next thing I know it's turned into this!  So back to the dungeons to slave away.......stay tuned as I hope to have a new feature for you here real soon.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING A COPY OF THIS MOD, PLEASE PM ME A REQUEST HERE AT AVSIM WITH AN EMAIL THAT I CAN SEND THE LINK TO!

CJ2PlusNight_zpsnhzdwfse.jpg

Edited by Novej757
  • Like 1

Jevon 

Great news. Since your mod this Citation has been getting out of the hanger far more often. For me, it is fighting with the XP Lear Jet which is already a brilliant professionally supported aircraft. (compared to Carenado's sell it and leave it policy)  

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

11 hours ago, Novej757 said:

Hi Ganter,

So short answer, yes I could implement the mod without the GTN.  However, I have so many plans with it right now, doing it would be put on the back burner. Honestly, this mod centers around the GTN as it was the whole reason I started it in the first place.  Trust me (and everyone else here) the GTN is THAT GOOD!  Honestly, I was a strictly (airliner) sim pilot until I downloaded it...Now I split my time between the CJ and and heavy tin, primarily because of the capabilities the GTN brings to the CJ.  Now Flight 1 is offering a GTN Complete series which includes a 650 and the 750!  Well worth it in my opinion!!!  The GTN and this mod work well on their own, but together it really is a great combo IMO!!!

Thanks Jevon.

The Flight1 GTN range have definitely got a formidable set of nav tools. I haven't been able to justify the expense yet - especially as I generally fly in the UK - so the features like Safe Taxi and high res imagery is unavailable outside USA - however, I'm sure I shall acquire the GTN at some point in the near future as one of the annoying things about Ceranado ProLine 21 system is the inability to load pre-planned FP's. Much of my pleasure in this hobby is the Flight Planning aspect.

Keep up the good work - I can see it is greatly appreciated by many folks around here.

29 minutes ago, ganter said:

Thanks Jevon.

The Flight1 GTN range have definitely got a formidable set of nav tools. I haven't been able to justify the expense yet - especially as I generally fly in the UK - so the features like Safe Taxi and high res imagery is unavailable outside USA - however, I'm sure I shall acquire the GTN at some point in the near future as one of the annoying things about Ceranado ProLine 21 system is the inability to load pre-planned FP's. Much of my pleasure in this hobby is the Flight Planning aspect.

Keep up the good work - I can see it is greatly appreciated by many folks around here.

I couldn't even get the default systems in the cj2 to follow a flight plan or vnav that's how I ended up here to be honest. 

I don't think the gtn can import flight plans from pfpx either but at least the plane will be flyable with it 😉

13 minutes ago, JamesM said:

I couldn't even get the default systems in the cj2 to follow a flight plan or vnav that's how I ended up here to be honest. 

I don't think the gtn can import flight plans from pfpx either but at least the plane will be flyable with it 😉

I've got it behaving it's self very well - providing you play to its limitations - it ISN'T my PMDG 777, 737 or FSLA320X - but it is perfectly doable. 

See here: 

p.s: Sorry if teaching granny to suck eggs!

3 hours ago, ganter said:

Thanks Jevon.

You make a very good point Ganter🤔  The GTN is lacking for our European friends.  Tell you what if we can generate enough interest I'll try to do a non GTN version alongside the base CJ2.  Anybody else interested in a non GTN version of this mod????

Jevon 

2 hours ago, ganter said:

I've got it behaving itself very well - providing you play to it's limitations - it ISN'T my PMDG 777, 737 or FSLA320X - but it is perfectly doable. 

See here: 

p.s: Sorry if teaching granny to suck eggs!

LATER ON THAT DAY...

Cancel that! Well, not cancel but I took the CJ2 for a flight today (Southern France back to Southern UK) and just couldn't get it to follow the VNAV very well at all. Main problems were:

1) Simply "losing it's way" - it would drift off the line and not recover - a bit like losing a VOR signal!

So I snapped off VNAV and flicked over to VOR2 - result; wouldn't follow the CRS to steer - which meant chasing the various VOR's all the way back to UK with the heading bug and HDG selected on the AP.

2) Deciding to use a different WPT to the one programmed - e.g: WPT  KOKOL (Northern France) suddenly became KOKOL in Africa - some 5000 NM away. In the PMDG FMC you are faced with this during flight planning and choose the correct WPT based on it's GPS location. This happened in the ProLine21 but it still appeared to decide (when we were 20 NM DME) to change it to the Africa one! Talk about confusion in the cockpit.

3) The FLC/ and V/S interrupts lead to wildly unpredictable MFD behaviour and thus AP input.

All in all, the flight was a trial by avionics - which is a real shame as the bird looks beautiful, is wonderful to hand fly - you really feel the fast jet feeling but without the weight of the heavies and tubes - and I can land it like a champ. (although others may disagree ;-)

I guess GTN integration is inevitable unless someone can fix this.

I would pay money for someone just to fix the NAV AP ability to simply follow the FMC Flight Plan as LNAV.

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Novej757 said:
23 minutes ago, Novej757 said:

You make a very good point Ganter🤔  The GTN is lacking for our European friends.  Tell you what if we can generate enough interest I'll try to do a non GTN version alongside the base CJ2.  Anybody else interested in a non GTN version of this mod????

I would love to see this - even given my observations on today's flight above.

3 hours ago, ganter said:

I would love to see this - even given my observations on today's flight above.

I had the same issues with the standard system you mentioned above your comment earlier had me wondering if it was just me. I know how to use it but it just doesn't work at all this is why I'm getting the gtn mod for it. I had similar experience as you but my plane just nosedives or veers off flight plan for no reason this is how I ended up here wanting a solution 🙂 

12 hours ago, ganter said:

I would pay money for someone just to fix the NAV AP ability to simply follow the FMC Flight Plan as LNAV.

Just a headsup for anyone else encountering this basic lack of NAV capability in the ProLine 21 - 

If you select VNAV initially that basically disables NAV ! - why? I don't know - it just does (Ceranado!)

So - if you're not going to use VNAV but want to fly your plan from the FMC then DON'T select VNAV in the AP - go straight to NAV and you'll be okay.

Just have to say I ended up installing this mod with the gtn 750 and it is really awesome. Does anyone know is there is a way to pop out the gtn from the virtual cockpit? when I click it just the default gauge pops out.

1 hour ago, JamesM said:

Just have to say I ended up installing this mod with the gtn 750 and it is really awesome. Does anyone know is there is a way to pop out the gtn from the virtual cockpit? when I click it just the default gauge pops out.

Not yet......that feature is coming soon 😉

• Like 2

Jevon 

UPDATE 8/30/18 

Hey all, just wanted to give you an update on where I'm at with this project.  Honestly,  between school, my baby girl and this project I am honestly swamped LOL.  So updates won't be coming nearly as fast as they did during the summer.  Honestly, I only work on this when I have time to sit down and just getaway from the crazy life LOL.....  So anyways I'm currently working on creating a pop up of the GTN MFD.  Unfortunately, I've run into a hangup.  Unlike the VC gauges, the 2d gauges have the bezel of the gauge included.  So I can't just resize my modded gauge to fit and get them to appear as if they are "in" the gauge like the VC.  So what that means is you guys may just get a 2d popup of just the screen portion of the MFD.....HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU ALL FEEL?

I've also started to look into some of the annunciations that our pilot friend has told me we should have during various actions in the aircraft.  That's going to be a longer process for sure as Carenado did not even provide the code to turn all of the lights on other then the self test...(sigh).  So please be patient with me this mod has definitely blown up into something I never expected it too.  Honestly guys, I bought Orbx Telluride and I haven't even had a chance to fly my bird into it yet.  I only took the video there for background LOL!!!  So not much to report other than....its SLOOOOooooOOOOOwly coming along.  I'll keep you updated!  Happy Flying.

Jevon 

Would you please advise if these awesome mods will work with P3D V4.

Regards

Bruce R

Bruce Ross

15 hours ago, Meeko said:

Would you please advise if these awesome mods will work with P3D V4.

Regards

Bruce R

There are a few users with V4 using it.  So far no one has called my attention to any major issues.

Jevon