Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Novej757

A New Take On the CJ2 GTN 750 Integration

Recommended Posts

On 12/17/2018 at 10:47 AM, Mike_G said:

Hi Jevon,

Many thanks for sending me the mod. Everything appears to work well. Using the NAV button, the aircraft followed the flightplan from the GTN750, but using VNAV it also followed the vertical profile which I had added to an identical flightplan in the FMS. I added several new waypoints en route, with varying altitudes, and the aircraft successfully followed them.

One thing I noticed with both the original and the modified version is that a very steep descent is possible. At one point, with approx 80% fuel load, I was able to descend at 6,500 ft/min at idle without gaining speed, as if there was a large speedbrake in use. I don't know how this compares to the real aircraft.

Thanks again, I'm really enjoying flying with this mod.

Mike

I replied to your message, thanks for the review Mike.  For those wondering what he's talking about as far as the descent profile, unfortunately I was not able to model out Carenado's settings for this.  I did make some drag adjustments but that was mainly to simulate the climb and cruise performance to as close as I could get to the real world numbers. (I am proud at how close I nearly got it)  The real plane would rarely descend with power still on the engines, and she most certainly wouldn't be slowing down at a 6500 ft/min descent rate LOL!

The FMS VNAV appears to be a BONUS yet unintentional bi product of keeping the stock FMS in use.  It is quite possible  that Carenado has quietly been working on this. I would still warn that the end user check the FMS data against their actual approach charts just to make sure though LOL!


Jevon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jevon,

thanks  a lot for your mod. I stored the CJ2 in the hanger after a handful of flightsbecause the simulated ProLine FMC is a mess at its current state. Now, after about a dozend of flights I must say that your mod made a good looking aircraft also a good flyable aircraft. With your mod this thing finally is fun to fly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Jens

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, jencas said:

Jevon,

thanks  a lot for your mod. I stored the CJ2 in the hanger after a handful of flightsbecause the simulated ProLine FMC is a mess at its current state. Now, after about a dozend of flights I must say that your mod made a good looking aircraft also a good flyable aircraft. With your mod this thing finally is fun to fly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Jens

 

I am so happy to hear that!!!!  Happy Flying my friend!!!

Jevon

Edited by Novej757

Jevon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE 3/1/2019

Hello all? Its been a while since I've posted any updates in this thread.  As it sits the CJ2+ mod has been a huge hit with you all.  I've only had about 3 or 4 people reach out to me with little questions here and there.  So I hope that means she's been good to the rest of you.  I haven't got any updates as far as the CJ2 mod.  I'm still going to do one but with school a 1 year old and just life in general I haven't had the time.  I'm hoping the CJ2+ mod more than makes up for the wait......................This summer I got really quiet after the initial release.  As much as I would like to say it was because I was finally getting a chance to enjoy flying her myself, the truth is I had already started working on something else.....(shameless plug)

Click Here

I'm hoping like the CJ2, this mod will peak everyone's interest in that bird again too!  

Well anyways that's it for now.  If you're interested I average about 2 requests for the CJ2+ mod per week.  That doesn't seem like much but each time that's 2 more than I ever expected would be interested.  So once again thank you guys for the support!


Jevon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jevon,

All installed easily, and came up as designed.

I just updated GTN750 to 2.09 and it appears that all aircraft are still using 6.21 not 6.51, but I'll try to sort that out with F1.

First, congrats on a a great rendition of the CJ2+. I actually fly the CJ3, and this now gives me the ability to fly in the PilotEdge environment and have it simulate all phases of flight with ATC.

Now with 2.09 GTN 750 supports VNAV, so when I get that running it will have functionality very similar to the FMS 3000 that is seriously lacking in the Carenado version.

Your mod sorted out the issues of the airplane tracking the GTN750, and all appears to track well.

I noticed one thing, that may be solved in the GUI interface somewhere, though I have not found it yet.

Many times when flying a flight plan ATC will give you a DIRECT TO to a waypoint further down the flight plan (i.e. a shortcut) or have you go somewhere new.

While the stock GTN has a bezel with a convenient D--> button on the right, your install of course deletes that bezel to fit into the MFD of Proline.

Without that button, I have yet to find a way to enter or pull up an existing waypoint in the flight plan and enable Direct To for it.

Is there a soft key somewher in the GTN that will do it instead? I expected to find it when I clicked on the waypoint, but nada.

Maybe you can commondeer the LSK button that isn't doing anything in the right side of the PFD bezel, and make that the new Direct To button?

 

Let me know if I am missing something. I'll conduct more flights and report back any other updates, but it already is a much better solution for this aircraft than I can find anywhere other than the actual cockpit (which is a bit pricier to fly).

Thanks again, and good luck on the Phenom 100 project. BTW all you do there will be immediately applicable with few changes to the Phenom 300, as they operate almoste identically in the cockpit, so that is a 2 for 1 I suppose.

For those of us with GTN Complete and GTN 500/600, it may be an easy add to replace the Proline PFD with the 600Txi PFD. That would give you much better info, and probably synthetic vision that is shown in the Garmin Trainer. Am I over simplifying or is placing the 600 there relatively easy?

 

Best,

 

Jeff

 

Edited by Jolee61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, there is an Activate Leg, which would make the leg the active one that you could then intercept, but executing Direct TO a waypoint plots a course from the current location to that waypoint, and happens frequently from ATC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, Jolee61 said:

Jevon,

All installed easily, and came up as designed.

I just updated GTN750 to 2.09 and it appears that all aircraft are still using 6.21 not 6.51, but I'll try to sort that out with F1.

First, congrats on a a great rendition of the CJ2+. I actually fly the CJ3, and this now gives me the ability to fly in the PilotEdge environment and have it simulate all phases of flight with ATC.

Now with 2.09 GTN 750 supports VNAV, so when I get that running it will have functionality very similar to the FMS 3000 that is seriously lacking in the Carenado version.

Your mod sorted out the issues of the airplane tracking the GTN750, and all appears to track well.

I noticed one thing, that may be solved in the GUI interface somewhere, though I have not found it yet.

Many times when flying a flight plan ATC will give you a DIRECT TO to a waypoint further down the flight plan (i.e. a shortcut) or have you go somewhere new.

While the stock GTN has a bezel with a convenient D--> button on the right, your install of course deletes that bezel to fit into the MFD of Proline.

Without that button, I have yet to find a way to enter or pull up an existing waypoint in the flight plan and enable Direct To for it.

Is there a soft key somewher in the GTN that will do it instead? I expected to find it when I clicked on the waypoint, but nada.

Maybe you can commondeer the LSK button that isn't doing anything in the right side of the PFD bezel, and make that the new Direct To button?

 

Let me know if I am missing something. I'll conduct more flights and report back any other updates, but it already is a much better solution for this aircraft than I can find anywhere other than the actual cockpit (which is a bit pricier to fly).

Thanks again, and good luck on the Phenom 100 project. BTW all you do there will be immediately applicable with few changes to the Phenom 300, as they operate almoste identically in the cockpit, so that is a 2 for 1 I suppose.

For those of us with GTN Complete and GTN 500/600, it may be an easy add to replace the Proline PFD with the 600Txi PFD. That would give you much better info, and probably synthetic vision that is shown in the Garmin Trainer. Am I over simplifying or is placing the 600 there relatively easy?

 

Best,

 

Jeff

 

@Jolee61 thank you for such a comprehensive review.  It is definitely an honor to have a second real world CJ driver taking the mod out for a spin.  I know you said you read the whole thread so I am confident you missed this because it was actually on the first page of the thread in a post between me and Bert (not one of the ones I was talking to everyone 😄)  Anyways, there is a Direct to button (see yellow circle in the picture below).  In fact, (by accident) there are actually TWO (see your READ ME file for the other location) 😉  (hint its very close to this one 🍻)

Using the 600Txi PFD is a excellent excellent idea.  However, I want to maintain the weather radar (no matter how bad it is) and partial FMS functionality for two nav sources for the general mod. 

Now with that being said, you have given me an idea.  By using some of the techniques I've implemented with the Phenom I think there is a way I could create a special mod for those with both the GTN750 and G500/600.  The problem is I don't have the G500/600 currently and have no experience with it.  Can you tell me are the PFD and Nav screens able to be separated or are they one gauge?  If they are just one gauge it won't work.  Thanks again!

cj2gtn4_zpsrerpwtex.jpg


Jevon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J. 

Yep, I missed that. I thought I pushed them all, but must of not clicked hard enough.

I'll look in the Readme again for the extra one.. 

I'll check on the G600, but typically see them together as a guage. It could be positioned in its entirety over the current PFD like you can see here http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?vid=flt1sf&pid=g5600cmp and still allow the GTN 750 to stay where it is. But yes, it might be nice to place the 600 and not the 500 if that is an option.

 

Version 2.09 with VNAV is a game changer in terms of the functionality available to simulated aircraft. Coupled with PilotEdge, a bigger step forward in Scenario based training that one might recognize.

J

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, any mouse click in the left bezel between the four LSK buttons brings up the Direct TO screen....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, Novej757 said:

 

@Jolee61 thank you for such a comprehensive review.  It is definitely an honor to have a second real world CJ driver taking the mod out for a spin.  I know you said you read the whole thread so I am confident you missed this because it was actually on the first page of the thread in a post between me and Bert (not one of the ones I was talking to everyone 😄)  Anyways, there is a Direct to button (see yellow circle in the picture below).  In fact, (by accident) there are actually TWO (see your READ ME file for the other location) 😉  (hint its very close to this one 🍻)

Using the 600Txi PFD is a excellent excellent idea.  However, I want to maintain the weather radar (no matter how bad it is) and partial FMS functionality for two nav sources for the general mod. 

Now with that being said, you have given me an idea.  By using some of the techniques I've implemented with the Phenom I think there is a way I could create a special mod for those with both the GTN750 and G500/600.  The problem is I don't have the G500/600 currently and have no experience with it.  Can you tell me are the PFD and Nav screens able to be separated or are they one gauge?  If they are just one gauge it won't work.  Thanks again!

cj2gtn4_zpsrerpwtex.jpg

I respect you guys who do these mods, but if I was going to mess around with the F1 G600, I would divert my attention to the Carenado Citation S550. This S550 can often be found with a G600/GTN-750 mod. You won't find a G600 in a CJ2 or 2+.  You could also juice the performance and weights of the S550 to equal the Citation V (560), which is basically a stretched S550.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, eelb said:

I respect you guys who do these mods, but if I was going to mess around with the F1 G600, I would divert my attention to the Carenado Citation S550. This S550 can often be found with a G600/GTN-750 mod. You won't find a G600 in a CJ2 or 2+.  You could also juice the performance and weights of the S550 to equal the Citation V (560), which is basically a stretched S550.

Great idea. Unfortunately, I think it's only one gauge so it wouldn't be able to be implemented in the S550 neither....again I would need someone to verfy if the two screens can be separated which I don't think they can be....


Jevon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Novej757 said:

Great idea. Unfortunately, I think it's only one gauge so it wouldn't be able to be implemented in the S550 neither....again I would need someone to verfy if the two screens can be separated which I don't think they can be....

The G600 is one gauge :blush:


Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The G600 is one gauge :blush:

So no way just to steal that awesome PFD from it? 😥


Jevon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious I've sent out A LOT of CJ2+ mods recently.....How are you all liking (or not liking) her?  Guess it's a good thing I've had very few issues arise.......


Jevon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...