Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

finding the user's manual

Help me find this manual, please.. I have searched for it everywhere and cannot find it.. :huh:

Edit.... I found it... I was searching for "Manual"..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

For others wondering about the User's Manual, by order of most likely found places per Windows UI guidelines:

1. Windows Start Menu (the orb) | Reality XP
  2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP
  3. Desktop Shortcut icon (added in the latest updates released this morning - provided you don't opt out during installation)

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Using number 1...

the file is not called User Manual, but "GNS V2 Flightsim.pdf"... :huh:

Bert

I tend to think the meaning of a PDF file with the same name as a product shouldn't have left any doubt, and if any, it is only a double click away to find out what this file is about. Otherwise, no wonder why some manuals say: "CAUTION: don't put the telephone on the edge of a table otherwise it might fall"

You are right, this is not explicitly labeled 'User's Manual'. Is the "User's Manual" tooltip at least working, as shown when hovering the mouse on this entry in the Windows Start Menu?

At least, with the desktop shortcut icon option, this shall help in the future.

I'll see how the best we can maybe rename the file in the next updates though, as this makes sense nonetheless. Thank you for the feedback!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

:happy:

BTW, regarding your priority list of docs locations...

I find that I have in my Prepar3d folder:

a2a

Carenado

FlyTampa

JustFlight

Orbx

RealAir

but no Reality XP... something to consider..

Edited by RXP

Bert

4 hours ago, RXP said:

Otherwise, no wonder why some manuals say: "CAUTION: don't put the telephone on the edge of a table otherwise it might fall"

Husqevana was forced to place this warning message on their chainsaws:

"WARNING! Do not place running chainsaw between your legs!"

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

15 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I find that I have in my Prepar3d folder:

This is against P3D add-on development guidelines though, and it is much cleaner to install in our own Reality XP folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)", then just have the add-on.xml let P3D know where to find the files.

Now your email with screenshots reveals a usage pattern that I didn't think of, hence the 'need' of making 'User's Manual' in the PDF file name. In effect, when I say "Windows Start | Reality XP" this means click the orb, click the 'programs' and it displays a list of 'program groups', into which there is a 'Reality XP' program group. Whereas you click the orb, then 'type' the words 'Users's Manual' which is not the same at all. The former is how it used to be since Windows 95, the latter is since around Win8.

1 hour ago, RXP said:

This is against P3D add-on development guidelines though, and it is much cleaner to install in our own Reality XP folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)", then just have the add-on.xml let P3D know where to find the files.

Now your email with screenshots reveals a usage pattern that I didn't think of, hence the 'need' of making 'User's Manual' in the PDF file name. In effect, when I say "Windows Start | Reality XP" this means click the orb, click the 'programs' and it displays a list of 'program groups', into which there is a 'Reality XP' program group. Whereas you click the orb, then 'type' the words 'Users's Manual' which is not the same at all. The former is how it used to be since Windows 95, the latter is since around Win8.

It all well and good, but recall about three weeks ago I had to ask as well.  That after also searching all over for it. Never thought about looking in the Windows Start menu as I do not recall using that route for any other add-on.  I would suggest placing an advisement of some sort that would appear during the installation process so the users know it can conveniently be found via Windows Start,

If those of us who are highly experienced find it difficult to locate, think of how other customers/users feel when their support question is answered with a reference to "...read the manual....." when the customer/user cannot find the manual you wish for them to read.  

Making it more apparent where to find it/where it is located could reduce your support demand...

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, RXP said:

You misquote me... :happy:

I typed the words "Reality XP"

Bert

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

If those of us who are highly experienced find it difficult to locate

Well noted, and thank you for your feedback too!

Amazingly (to me), most experienced Windows user should be used to Windows Start | Programs | xxxxx as it has been the way windows was before Win8 since Win2K/95.

Hopefully, it is user feedback which helps us better our products, including the User's Manual! The latest installers offer the option for desktop shortcuts, the next one will have a new pdf filename too.

Those of us using Win10 don't have that same option of using Windows Start | Programs | xxxxx...

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

38 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Those of us using Win10 don't have that same option of using Windows Start | Programs | xxxxx...

Bill, its just terminology. The Win10 left-click on the Windows Icon, bottom left.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank, I know that. However the latest version placed a shortcut on the Desktop, which is a nice touch. :biggrin:

I still prefer the Win7 method. How many people never discover the options when right-clicking on that spot... :blink:

Fr. Bill    

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

I still prefer the Win7 method.

Which also is Windows Start | Reality XP [program group] | GNS etc... ;-)

45 minutes ago, RXP said:

Which also is Windows Start | Reality XP [program group] | GNS etc... ;-)

Not "also" since Win10 is entirely different! That was my point...

Fr. Bill