Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Seriously amazing rain

Check out this video from the upcoming TBM900 (apparently the rain effects will be open source)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Interesting.  Not bad at all.  I don't like that it appears to be raining on the overhead panel.  

• Like 2

A great start to another piece of the "immersion" puzzle, Would have loved to see a take off and see if effect fades out. Regardless, hopefully it will be added. VR gets closer each time I fly and would love the added eye-candy.

Guess I'm 'out of the loop' so from whom may we expect the TBM900?  OT - are you still counting PPI sweeps?

Edited by olderndirt

It's okay, but the real test is how it responds to airflow once you're moving.

Ideally, there should be more than one type of rain too, from the light misty stuff we get up here in the PNW to the gullywasher downpours in the tropics. I'd settle for realistic airflow transitions first though.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Still to be perfected, but for me looks like one of the best effects of heavy rain (FSW is still the best for lighter rain conditions).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

9 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Guess I'm 'out of the loop' so from whom may we expect the TBM900?  OT - are you still counting PPI sweeps?

the group is called hotstart.  it is basically the developer from better pushback (systems)  plus the 3d modeller from leading edge (model)

The rain WILL be affected by wind.  It's still early days, though.  Improvements will be made.

You're the modeler?  Most excellent!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

14 hours ago, Griphos said:

Interesting.  Not bad at all.  I don't like that it appears to be raining on the overhead panel.  

Looks like an early alpha of sorts

did you notice how the rain moved when the engine power increased?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I think he's gone through about 3 or 4 more versions of rain since the original video.  I'll leave it to totoritko to talk about it, when he's ready.  But in it's current state, he's drastically improved it.  Sometimes I just sit here and stare at it.