Sign in to follow this  
avt309947

The best its ever been (for me)

When I bought my PC several year ago it was the best you could buy. Now its way behind the latest technology and I was finding it increasingly difficult to enjoy my flying due to stutters and slow downs.  Because my PC was, at one time, cutting edge, I had got used to pushing the sliders to the right and we all know what that does.  Ive ordered a new PC and whilst I’m, waiting for it to arrive I decided to try something different.

I set P3D to default, built a base in TAPA in AH2 and began to fly my trusty Twotter around the Caribbean. I have ORBX global and vector and have downloaded payware airports for the region.  Ive added in Active Sky and have lots of local AI set at 50%.

Its absolutley perfect. Not a stutter or a slow down. I haven’t enjoyed my flying so much in years. I used to think that I wouldn’t enjoy my flying unless my textures were set to 4096 and I was flying the most complex add on available. The Aerosoft Otter is older technology but in my opinion has the right amount of immersion to make it satisfying. 

Now im asking myself if I really need that new PC!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is there a question hidden in your post? If yes, you will not get any useful advice unless you list your current components (CPU, RAM, GPU, OS, Resolution etc.).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Newer is better, but not per see more fun.

I think it is a bit a rhetorical question! An important one to ask in the commerce oriented society!

But yeah, if you like the better picture, a newer pc is worth it. depending on how much time .v.s. Money ratio it is

cheers, vic

Victor Roos

1 hour ago, avt309947 said:

Its absolutley perfect. Not a stutter or a slow down. I haven’t enjoyed my flying so much in years. I used to think that I wouldn’t enjoy my flying unless my textures were set to 4096 and I was flying the most complex add on available. The Aerosoft Otter is older technology but in my opinion has the right amount of immersion to make it satisfying. 

You have kept it simple and only used what you like to fly with. You found that sweet spot.

• Like 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

There’s no hidden question in my post, I was just relating my experience for anyone whose interested and thanks for the responses

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, avt309947 said:

When I bought my PC several year ago it was the best you could buy. Now its way behind the latest technology and I was finding it increasingly difficult to enjoy my flying due to stutters and slow downs.  Because my PC was, at one time, cutting edge, I had got used to pushing the sliders to the right and we all know what that does.  Ive ordered a new PC and whilst I’m, waiting for it to arrive I decided to try something different.

I set P3D to default, built a base in TAPA in AH2 and began to fly my trusty Twotter around the Caribbean. I have ORBX global and vector and have downloaded payware airports for the region.  Ive added in Active Sky and have lots of local AI set at 50%.

+1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

It's great when that happens, but from what you've described, you're flying in a region which is not particularly demanding on a fresh install, so there is that.  But as @AnkH has said, without knowing the specs of your system, it's hard to tell provide an opinion.

Also, don't underplay the psychology of having ordered a new system on your current experience.  You are probably more forgiving of whatever you are experiencing now  because you know, 'better' is on the way.

My current system is i7 3960X runnning @ 4GB with GTX690 and 32gb of ram

Similar experience here. I'm too stubborn to buy a new system until video card prices return to normal so I've learned to make do with my system that was top of the line in 2012 :laugh:.  With P3Dv4, reasonable settings, and a 4k monitor, flight simming has never been this good. What's reasonable? With my 4.5ghz 3770K and 780GTX I'm limited to a smidge over default settings, no dynamic anything, no hdr, no reflections, dense scenery, and 1024 textures. Instead of ORBX regions I use GEP3D and UTX. When I first installed ASP4 and ASCA it brought my sim to its knees and I thought the system was too weak to use it. After realizing that the default textures in ASP4 were set at 2048 32-bit I changed them to 1024 dxt and everything was fine again and the weather looked fantastic.

Now I'm sure that some are reading this and thinking "With those settings it must look like default FSX". Actually it is the best any of my flight sims have looked in 20 years and I have smooth flight locked at 30 FPS with no shimmering, jaggies, texture loading problems, blurries, or any of the other things I read about on the forums. The only trick was backing off on the sliders and not installing a christmas list of addons. Cheap solution too!

That being said, I am looking forward to upgrading so I can push a few sliders to the right, but the best tweak I have learned is, as in drinking, moderation.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4