Sign in to follow this  
Adrian West

Performance loss with 1440p over 1080p?

Could I throw in 3440x1440 UWQHD as an alternative? I recently bought a 35" UWQHD. The UltraWide aspect ratio shows a fuselage or wing very nicely in flight simming. And for office work, text is not too small on a 34 or 35" UWQHD.
Adrian, the thread starter, mentioned 27" as a limit due to desk space. But I think it would be worth changing that constraint. 

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

I'm cooling towards the 2560*1440 QHD monitors for the simple fact my existing Dell is 1920*1200, not 1080. Going to QHD would not be a big enough increase in resolution. Just 240 extra pixels vertically.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

18 minutes ago, oemlegoem said:

Adrian, the thread starter, mentioned 27" as a limit due to desk space. But I think it would be worth changing that constraint.

I'm sure Adrian has considered making extra space available but if it isn't there then he's limited to 27". Trying to find another 8" is a bit of a tall order whatever the attractions the extra wide monitor brings.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm cooling towards the 2560*1440 QHD monitors for the simple fact my existing Dell is 1920*1200, not 1080. Going to QHD would not be a big enough increase in resolution. Just 240 extra pixels vertically.

I'd still say try actually viewing your photos on a good quality QHD screen before you make your decision.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

22 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I'd still say try actually viewing your photos on a good quality QHD screen before you make your decision.

Easier said than done. The nearest outlet is Scan in Bolton - 20 miles away - and I doubt they have that particular model setup in the showroom. John Lewis won’t stock BenQ.

I can see my photos on my smartTV and at 2160 vertical res they are stunning. The thing that was concerning me was the size of icons etc. on a Windows 7 display but the resizing option will take care of that.

Having an Nvidia GTX 780 card to feed the display I’m more convinced than ever the UHD model is the one best suited to me.

We just need to get Adrian sorted now. Sorry for gate crashing the thread.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

21 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm sure Adrian has considered making extra space available but if it isn't there then he's limited to 27". Trying to find another 8" is a bit of a tall order whatever the attractions the extra wide monitor brings.

Thanks for all of the replies. This thread seems to have expanded quite a bit!!

My "flight deck" is in my office, which was converted from the smallest bedroom in the house - and I mean small!! My desk also has to accommodate my printer, and a 27" monitor really is my limit (and that may even mean having to tuck my speakers behind the monitor). I would really like to go for a 27" QHD if finances stretch that far, now that you guys have assured me that my system would have enough power to run at this resolution without a significant performance hit. Obviously when spending around GBP 2k for a new system I want it to be somewhat future-proofed, and who knows what sort of developments there will be in the next few years with regard to textures, aircraft complexity etc. For that reason I'd rather aim higher than a 1080p. On the other hand I don't want to be back in the same low fps situation I currently have with FSX within a few years. I understand about the lure of 4k monitors, but these are out of the question financially, and I simply don't have the space for a big enough one for this to have any point.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Sorry for hijacking your thread but it's also helped me in my decision. I'm now also leaning towards a 27" QHD monitor but primarily for photo editing.

I think this size and res would be ideal for you. Jumping from FullHD to UHD is asking a lot of any graphics card. The jump to QHD is significantly less but still a decent increase in resolution. For the spec you are considering I think a QHD display would be perfect.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've just ordered a 27" BenQ SW2700PT from Scan UK. They have an Easter sale so prices for many monitors are excellent.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/monitors/monitors-27-inch

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've just ordered a 27" BenQ SW2700PT from Scan UK.

BenQ are getting a reputation for producing great monitors. Let us know what you think of it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

19 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

BenQ are getting a reputation for producing great monitors. Let us know what you think of it.

Will do. To be honest I didn't rate them when I was thinking of manufacturers. I had Dell uppermost with maybe an Eizo providing the prices weren't stupid. But with so many great reviews of the SW2700PT I'd be mad not to buy it. Amateur Photographer also gave it a Gold star which tells you everything about its photo qualities.

One question. When you switched to QHD from FullHD did you notice much of a drop in fps?

I ask because I'm now thinking of a 32" QHD monitor for P3D. UHD would be nice but I think performance would take a hit in areas like London / Heathrow. A 32" QHD could be a good alternative and I wouldn't need to buy a new PC. Still plenty of life in my i4770K with a 1080 and 16Gb RAM.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

One question. When you switched to QHD from FullHD did you notice much of a drop in fps?

I ask because I'm now thinking of a 32" QHD monitor for P3D.

I changed monitors at the same time that I built my new system so I have nothing to compare performance with. That said, my system is not too much different to yours and I find that it works very well at QHD. I have a 32" AOC Q3277PQU monitor and I'd recommend it highly. The screen and build quality are both excellent and it has a very solid, fully adjustable stand. Interestingly, it uses exactly the same screen panel as the BenQ BL3200PT but costs considerably less. Samsung also do a similar monitor with the same panel but the brightness control is not as efficient as the other two - it flickers a little below 30% brightness. As you can see, I looked into them all very closely. AOC do a much cheaper 31.5" QHD monitor but it has lower brightness and contrast.

• Upvote 1

Thanks vortex, I'll certainly investigate that. But first I want to connect the new BenQ to my P3D machine and do some fps tests.

I have a saved scenario in P3D v3.4 with the Cub positioned above T5 at Heathrow Xtended with a controlled number of Ai. I'll use that for the 2560*1440 test and can then determine what penalty if any the higher res brings. If it's okay then I know I can buy a QHD monitor.

Some calculations...

1920*1080=2073600 pixels

2650*1440=3686400 pixels or 170% more.

3840*2160=8294400 or 400% more.

I believe there's is around a 20% hit with UHD over FullHD so using that number the hit with QHD should be less than 10%. So 25fps becomes 23fps. Still very usable whereas a 20% hit brings it down to 20. Just above the minimum for good performance,

It's a pity the largest screen appears to be 32" for QHD. Another 3-4" would be ideal.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It appears to be Hobson's Choice with 32" QHD monitors. I could only find 2 of them. The AOC and the BenQ.

http://www.benq.co.uk/product/monitor/bl3200pt/specifications/

http://eu.aoc.com/en/products/q3277pqu/specs

The AOC uses a MVA panel whereas the BenQ has a AMVA+ panel. The differences with IPS appear minimal. Plenty of positive reviews for the AOC (not a very well known company) and none for the BenQ. Seems a straight-forward decision.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It's a pity the largest screen appears to be 32" for QHD. Another 3-4" would be ideal.

I think any larger and you'd probably just start to see the individual pixels which was always the limiting factor for me.

Edited by vortex681

54 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The AOC uses a MVA panel whereas the BenQ has a AMVA+ panel. The differences with IPS appear minimal. Plenty of positive reviews for the AOC (not a very well known company) and none for the BenQ. Seems a straight-forward decision.

Unless they've changed the specifications recently, although they may call them slightly different things they both use the same panel. See: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/dd6514218. Both the BenQ and the AOC have had good reviews in the past but I personally thought the AOC looked the better monitor. I'm delighted with mine and I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you buy it.

Edited by vortex681