Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

FPS/Stutter Question

I am curious about something regarding framerates.  Generally speaking, do frames / stutters fluctuate up or down depending on departure or arrival into an airport?  On my system, I seem to have no problem flying out of LAX, LGA, DCA, etc, or any other large airports in dense cities.  However, more often than not, I can’t fly into them.  I tried twice to do the Expressway visual at LGA and it was next to impossible because I kept getting stutters.  However, restart the sim, and departing from LGA in the same weather, was no problem.  I get a CTD when landing at SNA every time, but when departing it is fine (Latin VFR).  Landing into LAX is a problem 70% of the time but departing is no problem.  My question is, do FPS and stutters get worse as the flight goes on or are these issues specific to the airport and location?  Some payware I have no problems with (any Flightbeam, Orbx, FlyTampa) but other give me problems at times. 

I am flying the FSlabs and run Orbx (no vector). 

Win10, Gigabyte Aorus Z270x Gaming 5, LGA 1151, Intel 7th Gen Core i7 7700K (4.7GHz Overclock) Quad Core, Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling, 16GB G.Skill DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCI Express 3.0, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 500GB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

4 minutes ago, Litmoose said:

Are you sure your not hitting you VRAM limit? 1060 only has 6gb

Um... I have no idea what that means to be honest!  Is this something I need to do and make sure I check?  If so, how would I figure that out?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

15 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Um... I have no idea what that means to be honest!  Is this something I need to do and make sure I check?  If so, how would I figure that out?

Download something like MSI afterburner. Make sure it is running when your using P3D, keep on eye on the graph for the GPU mem usage and if it starts getting close to 6gb you system will start to throttle back, I.E stutter. If that's the case you'll need to turn some settings down

4 minutes ago, Litmoose said:

Download something like MSI afterburner. Make sure it is running when your using P3D, keep on eye on the graph for the GPU mem usage and if it starts getting close to 6gb you system will start to throttle back, I.E stutter. If that's the case you'll need to turn some settings down

Ok.  Thanks.  So it sounds like it is a situation where I either A) throttle down some settings, or B) upgrade my GPU?  Based on my GPU, is the next best option the 1080TI or are there other options out there that will help but won't break the bank?  From my understanding the 1080ti is on high demand due to bitcoin mining and that has increased the cost and the availability.  Is there anything in the pipe that will be a newer, better option that you know of?

I wouldn't jump to any conclusion just yet, but the test I suggested it the most obvious culprit I can think of, and it will narrow the list of potential issues down by one straightaway

26 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Ok.  Thanks.  So it sounds like it is a situation where I either A) throttle down some settings, or B) upgrade my GPU?  Based on my GPU, is the next best option the 1080TI or are there other options out there that will help but won't break the bank?  From my understanding the 1080ti is on high demand due to bitcoin mining and that has increased the cost and the availability.  Is there anything in the pipe that will be a newer, better option that you know of?

I think that mem usage would only be an issue if it's maxxed out, and unless you're using extreme settings (particularly a TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP value above 8) you should not be seeing VRAM usage much above 4GB even at 4K resolution.

More likely, you're maxxing out the GPU utilization, which will result in stutters.  I use eVGA PrecisionX16 to monitor mine on the LCD display of a Logitech G13 gamepad...you can also put it up superimposed on the corner of the window.  GPU utilization above 95% is getting into the stutter zone, as the GPU will miss frames when momentary spikes drive the load up to near 100% and the GPU can't keep pace with the workload thrown at it.  The 1060 is not a very strong card for P3Dv4, especially at 4K and/or if using SSAA/SGSS anti-aliasing.  Reducing the AA and pulling some sliders back (traffic, autogen, LOD) could help get GPU ute rate back down to where it can keep up.  When adjusting AA and sliders, I shoot for a maximum average GPU utilization of 70-80% to keep things smooth.

Last, if the sceneries you're having trouble with use SODE, make sure you have upgraded to SODE 1.6 or later, because it spreads the loading of the SODE scenery enhancements out to avoid big stutters induced when all the SODE objects try to load at once.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

I am curious about something regarding framerates.  Generally speaking, do frames / stutters fluctuate up or down depending on departure or arrival into an airport?  On my system, I seem to have no problem flying out of LAX, LGA, DCA, etc, or any other large airports in dense cities.  However, more often than not, I can’t fly into them.  I tried twice to do the Expressway visual at LGA and it was next to impossible because I kept getting stutters.  However, restart the sim, and departing from LGA in the same weather, was no problem.  I get a CTD when landing at SNA every time, but when departing it is fine (Latin VFR).  Landing into LAX is a problem 70% of the time but departing is no problem.  My question is, do FPS and stutters get worse as the flight goes on or are these issues specific to the airport and location?  Some payware I have no problems with (any Flightbeam, Orbx, FlyTampa) but other give me problems at times. 

I am flying the FSlabs and run Orbx (no vector). 

Win10, Gigabyte Aorus Z270x Gaming 5, LGA 1151, Intel 7th Gen Core i7 7700K (4.7GHz Overclock) Quad Core, Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling, 16GB G.Skill DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCI Express 3.0, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 500GB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)

I suspect u are overloading your GPU.  What are your AA settings and do u use dynamic lighting?  Even with my 1080ti I can saturate it pretty easily if I’m not careful.

Matt Wilson

39 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I suspect u are overloading your GPU.  What are your AA settings and do u use dynamic lighting?  Even with my 1080ti I can saturate it pretty easily if I’m not careful.

I'll have to check.  I am currently using DL in some situations that doesn't cripple the sim.  I've found of late, certain airports allow it and some don't.  I guess it depends on the day.  As for AA, I'd have to check tonight when I get home.

6 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Right now on the latest setting I am using I have FXAA on, 8xMSAA, texture filtering 16x and ultra resolution. 

Max detail radius, high tesselation, 10m mesh res, 15 texture res. 

Complexity very dense, autogen draw distance high, vegetation density, very dense, autogen building density normal. 

Low special effects detail and distance, water detail medium. 

I switch dynamic lighting on or off depending how my departure airport can handle it.  Shadow quality is low and has a medium draw. 

Weather is AS with skyforce and have default settings there for the most part.  In the sim I have max draw distance and coverage density with detailed clouds and all of the other boxes checked  

39 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Right now on the latest setting I am using I have FXAA on, 8xMSAA, texture filtering 16x and ultra resolution. 

Max detail radius, high tesselation, 10m mesh res, 15 texture res. 

Complexity very dense, autogen draw distance high, vegetation density, very dense, autogen building density normal. 

Low special effects detail and distance, water detail medium. 

I switch dynamic lighting on or off depending how my departure airport can handle it.  Shadow quality is low and has a medium draw. 

Weather is AS with skyforce and have default settings there for the most part.  In the sim I have max draw distance and coverage density with detailed clouds and all of the other boxes checked  

I would recommend lowering your AA to 4XMSAA, disable FXAA, and lower your cloud draw distance for starters.  That should free up your GPU a little.  

Matt Wilson

You might want to install GPU-Z ( https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ ). It's freeware and will tell you everything you need to know about your GPU VRAM usage, load, etc..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.