Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Native FSX models for AI military aircraft

When I first started using FSX-SE, I found that there were a few things to learn that allowed FS9 AI to be converted to FSX-SE and once I learned them, I was usually happy with the results. However, I had an unrelated graphics problem that demanded some fairly complex modifications to certain system files. The result was everything I hoped for graphically, but with one major "downside." ONLY FSX NATIVE MODELS will now display properly in my tweaked version of FSX-SE. That's a minor problem for civil traffic for me but a major one for military AI, which plays a large part in my sim experience. MAIW/HTAI/JYAI and some others have recently released FSX native models for many of their products and I couldn't be more grateful. But there are still some glaring omissions. I DO KNOW that it is possible to convert older models to FSX code, but I have had zero success in doing so. On the other hand, I have no problem with all the other needed tweaks such as converting .bmp files to .dds etc.

I have a favor to ask. If anyone has successfully converted older AI models to FSX native and would be willing to share them, I would be very grateful. I know there will be someone whining about copyright but all I'm asking for is an existing model, often made by someone no longer involved in the hobby, to be adapted for use in a newer sim platform that is now itself about nine years old. NOTHING is changed except the ability to run the AI in FSX-SE in my system. I am especially interested in Cold War era aircraft, and with a recent sale on Skydesigners French Air Force bases, I would especially love to be able to create traffic FAF files for Transall C160s, Mirage V and Mirage F1, Alphajet and Mirage 2000. An FSX version of the model for the excellent MGAI KC135 series would also be very welcome. If someone has some but is uncertain about sharing them, I am more than happy to contact the original model developers like Mike Pearson, Jake Burrus etc. I have no doubts at all that they will readily grant permission.

Hoping for some genuine help and a minimum of amateur lawyer babbling about copyrights which I normally scrupulously follow. But this is just a conversion of the model from one format to another and I don't think we need to litigate something so minor. Thanks friends

Ian

Native AI models can primarily be found in the larger AI-related forums, i.e.

https://militaryaiworks.com/
http://alpha-india.net/

For all other models, there is ModelConverter and that's it. (There's a tutorial in the "P3Dv4 Models" forum over at Alpha-India.)

If some AI models were generally only hosted on private websites and there was no way to obtain them anymore or if the authors of said models had completely disappeared from the community, only then could any models be uploaded and shared - at the risk of incurring some flak from said authors should they find out and be in disagreement.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

On 3/27/2018 at 2:10 PM, kiwiflyer45 said:

I have a favor to ask. If anyone has successfully converted older AI models to FSX native and would be willing to share them, I would be very grateful. I know there will be someone whining about copyright but all I'm asking for is an existing model, often made by someone no longer involved in the hobby, to be adapted for use in a newer sim platform that is now itself about nine years old. 

Hoping for some genuine help and a minimum of amateur lawyer babbling about copyrights which I normally scrupulously follow. But this is just a conversion of the model from one format to another and I don't think we need to litigate something so minor. Thanks friends

Ian

It’s against the Avsim TOS to share files without the written consent of the author of the model/plane. It may seem harmless or no big deal but it’s not supported here.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator