Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Favorite planes..

We all have our favorite planes.  I collect a lot of them but there are only two go to planes I fly regularly.

All together now, to the tune of , "The Yellow Rose of Texas"...

You can talk about Caranado,

And Speak of PMDG,

But for me it's the Kodiak,

And the MAAM DC-3!

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

My favourite plane is a Record # 04, although it needs sharpening occasionally! 

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

The DC-10.  I guess.

I have a lot of "favorite planes".

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I love the Carenado Citation 550.  It is my favorite aircraft by far due to its IAS hold which uses pitch to hold the airspeed rather than autothrottle.  It works very well and allows for a quick and smooth cruise climb.

The Carenado Malibu is also nice being that it is the only pressurized piston modeled for FSX/P3D

The Alabeo Cardinal is a beauty although the VSI does not read the rate of climb properly.  I reported it but it was never fixed, but one should not be glued to the gauges anyway in flight, my CFI always commanded me to LOOK OUTSIDE the airplane.

I also like the Alabeo Piper Sport, rare to see a LSA modeled in our hobby and I have flown a similar aircraft in real life with a CFI.

Ant's drifter is a cool ultralight for FSX/P3D.

In Xplane11 I like the default 172 and the Cirrus, they are both cool aircraft and their autopilots function well and reduce the workload in flight..

In real life I like the Cessna 182, the Luscombe 8A, the Fantasy Air Allegro, all of which I have flown.  In commercial flight I like the CRJ-700/900, the 767, the 747 and the now retired L1011.  I also loved flying in the 727 and MD80/90 which were quiet if you sat up front.  The MD80/90 were nice if you got on the side with just the window/aisle seat since the seating is five across on those aircraft.  For puddle jumpers I liked the Embraer a lot followed by the Dash series of aircraft, I have flown on the 200 and 300.  I did not care for the Beech puddle jumper that much.  My last flight on one was into Philly and we had wicked crosswinds, I could see the runway as the pilot was crabbing in on approach and the landing was a bone jarring experience, you could feel the wheels fighting to maintain their grip on the runway.

John

3 hours ago, Mace said:

I have a lot of "favorite planes".

Me too! I tend to fly most new addons quite a lot when I first get them but I guess that's a combination of the novelty value of a new type and also the need to evaluate them and the challenge in some cases of mastering their systems. However although I have a huge number of addon aircraft I would consider my "favourite planes" to be those I go back to again and again and there are quite a few of them too -

GA: Real Air Turbine Duke; Flight1 BN-2 Islander; Alabeo Aztec; Flysimware MU2B; A2A Cessna 182; Aerosoft Beaver

Classic Propliners: A2A Constellation and Stratocruiser; Manfred Jahn's great freeware C-47/DC-3

Jetliners: PMDG 747 and 777; iFly 737; QW 757 and 787

Regional Airliners: Aerosoft DHC-6; Majestic Q400; Carenado  Fokker 50

Bizjets: Carenado Hawker 850 and Phenom 300; Flysimware Learjet

There are some new purchases where I have not yet had a chance to spend enough time on to master their systems including the PMDG DC-6 and Aerosoft CRJ and these may well also enter my favourites list. There are also some Carenado/Alabeo aircraft on which I have recently installed Bert's and Whamil's modifications and I suspect I will also be spending a lot more time on these greatly improved aircraft.

We're spoiled for choice really!

Bill

Edited by scianoir

I too have a lot of favorites but the one that always makes me feel like "home" is the good ol' PMDG 737.

Mario Di Lauro

John, I learned to fly in a Luscombe 8E on floats.  My first solo was in a float plane off San Francisco Bay in about 1957.  Still one of my all time favorites because it has a stick instead of a yoke.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Man I luv em all! Which ever one I'm flying at the time and right now it's PMDG T7 enroute to SBGR.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

Thanks Sue, I already have it for both FS9 and FSX.  It's Bill Lyons creation and wish someone would convert his Tri-Pacer to FSX.

Noel

On 3/28/2018 at 10:43 AM, birdguy said:

John, I learned to fly in a Luscombe 8E on floats.  My first solo was in a float plane off San Francisco Bay in about 1957.  Still one of my all time favorites because it has a stick instead of a yoke.

Noel

What I loved about flying the Luscombe 8A were its beautifully harmonized controls.  It also fell into the weight limits of Light Sport.  I wanted to purchase it but it used an Armstrong starter (hand crank of the prop).  Now there is an electric start STC for the Luscombe which makes it much safer for the single pilot.  I flew the Luscombe with a CFI, its owner.  He said he was impressed with the way I flew it, but the aircraft just felt like an extension of myself and my thoughts.   But we ended the flight early when together we sensed that their were embedded thunderstorms approaching.   We were right. although not forecast as we touched down on the grass airfield where the Luscombe was birthed a gentle rain began to fall.  Once we tied the Luscombe down together the rain turned into a downpour with thunder.  I will never forget that flight.  For fixed wing, it was the closest I ever felt to being a bird (I also fly Trikes, motorized hang gliders, where you are a bird, an extension of the wing).

John

I still love, and fly Bill Lyon's Piper Apache. I even have it in P3D4, without a door, but working instruments and quite flyable. Everything works in FSX and P3D 3. Of course I had to redo the instruments with panel studio.

Sue

I found a new love in Xplane11, Aerobask's great Eclipse 550.  Very nice flight model and visual model with full avionics up front.

John