Sign in to follow this  
Pete Dowson

Config: Can't enter key for PTT

After evaluating P2A within the trial period, and with Dave kindly adding a facility for me to get the conversation text onto another PC for display in my cockpit (so I can learn the program properly, and assist my failing memory in respect of details and especially taxi routes), I took the plunge and purchased the product.

I'm still using ProATC/X at present though because there's some more setting up to do before switching over. I will also need to get or purchase some more voices, but that's another subject.

The first hurdle I need to jump in the setting up is getting a key assigned for PTT. (I will also want one for "sayit" initially, whilst learning).

I don't know if the latest version (2.4.0.7 b2) has a bug here or there's something else wrong, but, whilst the manual says i can enter any alphanumeric key as the "hot key", the hot key setting window is accepting nothing, no keys whatsoever. The keyboard definitely works (I use it to load programs and set the configuration! :biggrin: ).

So what could be wrong, please?

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Sorry, the version is 2.4.0.7_x64_p3b

Pete

Pete,

I think the problem might be that you need to click in the blank text box before pressing your desired hot key.  I'll be fixing that for the next update.

Let me know if that does it.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, that was it. Thank you!

Note that if you press a key and change your mind, "Clear" doesn't clear it for re-entry. You have to abort and start again.

Also i see it accepts F keys too, not just alphanumeric, which is good. really needs Shift, Control combinations too to be more distinguishable on a busy PC, but A-Z, 0-9 and F-keys should suffice.

Pete

25 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Ctl and Alt combinations should work.

Should they register somehow in the displayed result? No shift?

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

8 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Should they register somehow in the displayed result? No shift?

Yes. They will show up as Alt-W, for example.  And yes, Shift also.  I just tested in the coming update and this all works....along with the Clear button actually clearing the text box.  So if it's not working now, it will soon.

Dave

Pete,

I'm running P3D v4.1.

I used F12 for the PTT button in P2A. I mapped a the comma key press on my Cougar HOTAS via FSUIPC5 and WideClien to my networked PC where P2A runs.

I may be on a different version of P2A than you are, but it works very reliably.

That is a very nice feature, by the way, that you put into FSUIPC5.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

On 3/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, sbclark said:

I used F12 for the PTT button in P2A. I mapped a the comma key press on my Cougar HOTAS via FSUIPC5 and WideClien to my networked PC where P2A runs.

I may be on a different version of P2A than you are, but it works very reliably.

Thanks Bill. 

So do you program the "press" and "release" to different KeySend numbers, and equate those to "press F12" and "release F12" on the client?

I'll be trying all this for myself in the next few days. Still haven't got my P3D4.2 setup fully sorted yet -- some work to do still in the cockpit, and without that powered I have no sound from P2A (the headsets and overhead speakers are fed via powered switches and small amplifiers (for the overhead).

Pete

On 3/28/2018 at 7:17 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Yes. They will show up as Alt-W, for example.  And yes, Shift also.  I just tested in the coming update and this all works....along with the Clear button actually clearing the text box.  So if it's not working now, it will soon.

I can do Ctrl or Alt, or Shift, one of these, with a 'normal' of F-key (but not Tab or Esc, understandably I think), The only odd thing is when Shift is used with a text key it displays as (eg) "DShft-D", not just "Shft-D". Not sure what that means. And on their own the text keys show both cases, eg "dD".

The Clear button on the setting window doesn't clear the entry window, which is misleading, as if you press clear there and then set, the entry in Config-Btns is cleared even though when pressing the Set the entry window might contain your keypress. This is why I thought that Clear button did nothing. Shouldn't it clear the entry window?

One other question in relation to PTT. In the Grammar Help "Practice" mode, the PTT button appears not to respond to your programmed key or button, only to a mouse press. Shouldn't it accept either?

Thanks,
Pete

The PTT Key entry issues should be fixed in the upcoming 2407 update....Almost ready to be released. 

The Grammar Help screen purposely only works with the on-screen PTT button.  Primarily because it eliminates any possible problems with PTT button setup when users are trying to figure out why their voice is not being recognized.  It also decouples that practice session from the ATC session in the main program.

Dave

Pete,

I set my PTT up over a year ago, and given my old age, I’m not quite sure how I got it working……I get lucky in some ways!

Below are excerpts from my FSUIPC5 and WideFS dot INI files:

Here is my FSUIPC5.ini file (a PTT function for all my PMDG airliners):

[ClientNames]

1=MOOSE-PC

[Window.Message Window]

NewDocked=69, 344, 3762, 36

[Profile.PMDG]

1=Boeing 737-7H4NGX Southwest Airlines Winglets

2=Boeing 737-832NGX Delta Air Lines Winglets

3=Boeing 737-8H4NGX Southwest Airlines (Warrior One) Winglets

4=PMDG 747-422 United Airlines (N177UA | 2010)

5=PMDG 747-4R7F UPS Airlines (N581UP | 2016)

[Keys.PMDG]

4=188,8,1006,1,1006,2 -{,<key: Press=KEYSEND 1 for WideFS, Release=KEYSEND 2 for WideFS }-

[Window.SimConnectWindow]

Undocked=15, 15, 330, 376

Here is my WideClient.ini file:

; -----------------------------------------------

[User]

KeySend1=123,16 ; Press F12

KeySend2=123,24 ; Release F12

UseSendInput=Yes

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

In my case this as worked beautifully for a long time.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

11 minutes ago, sbclark said:

I set my PTT up over a year ago, and given my old age, I’m not quite sure how I got it working……I get lucky in some ways!

Below are excerpts from my FSUIPC5 and WideFS dot INI files:

Thanks. Yes, it is clear now, and as I suspected. Thank you!

Pete