Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

airport jobs

Guest william273

anyone have any tips on getting employment at your local airport? i'm talking about like delta, united, etc, not general aviation. a long time ago i got an application for delta i think it was and sent it to them in atlanta and of course i never heard a thing. don't remember what position i applied for. all i know is i like being around aircraft and would like to get some sort of job that paid a living wage at my local airport. any suggestions for getting my foot in the door? william

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I worked at KABE for two years. A lot of the jobs even at the airlines were not starting with living wages for most people. I was an inflight caterer which meant I was actually on a bunch of different types of aircraft. My hours went from 40 to 85 per week when I became the only FAA certified truck driver on day shift.After 9/11 airlines cut service and my hours went down to 20 even though every other driver was laid off.A job at any position, any individual airline, no matter which one, doesn't offer the same stability, wages and benefits they used to and there isn't much chance of quick improvement in that area. Southwest is doing better than others as usual, but if you want a steady job at your local airport, I suggest trying to get a job at the airport itself rather than for an airline. They are hard to get though. You would see the aircraft operating, but likely would have less chance to interact with crews. A large outfit servicing many airlines such as a catering service might pay better wages than the outfit I was with that only did about 15 a day when it was good. I worked for six months after 9/11, the increased measures were more a hassle to employees and passengers than actual deterents. When completing tests for certification I pointed out the lack of vehicle barriers around the perimeter. There still isn't much at most airports to prevent a vehicle from an incursion on a foggy morning dispensing fragmentary and incendary devices under the wings of multiple aircraft lined up for takeoff. But at least nobody is carrying toe nail clippers on board any more.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest william273

roger the toenail clippers, LOL. i looked on the internet yesterday at my local airport and the airlines that come here, i think you're right about trying to get on at the airport rather than an airline. maybe skychef would be a possibility if an opening comes up. the airport and airlines seemed to all show the current job openings on the internet so i'll just keep an eye on their websights and see what happens. thanks donny! william

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Another advantage is that if you do eventually lose your job, you won't have relocated in the meantime trying to keep it. Though you don't get the travel options (airline employees at KABE were always upgraded to first class when booking in advance) one of the neatest parts about catering is you get to sneak peeks at the cockpit a lot of times. If a plane is cold, dark and parked especially look when the exterior door is first opened to be SURE the slide was not left armed (you should see it notched into the floor if it is) and when a plane is being turned around, KNOCK and wait for the Stew to open if it is not already cracked. You can also have some fun with a few ounces of your employer's dry ice and eight ounces of water in a tightly sealed 16 ounce Coke bottle... Good Luck!!!Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest william273

LOL! thanks donny. william