Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

ATC option window choices grayed out

From time to time I have the P3D v4 ATC options grayed out and therefore cannot be selected in the sim. It seems to happen in all the aircraft, whether payware or default at the same time. The only way I have been able to restore the function is with restarting the sim and loading the original default flight. If I subsequently try to reload any saved flight the window is unusable again. It is really odd because the jabbering can continue in the background, but I am unable to make a numerical selection to participate.

I do have the Bevelstone payware default AC accelerator installed which, up to now has not caused any problems. Does anyone have any idea where the fault may lie or ever heard of any cause or remedy. BTW, there is little point in trying to spell out here which addons I have as there are hundreds of everything with over 400G installed of scenery and aircraft. It does seem to be agnostic to plane or scenery, and just refuses to do it's thing regardless. Does any of this ring a bell or give you any ideas?

Kindest regards,

Stephen

PS: At risk of being chewed out by a number of brilliant forum cops willing to beat up a senior, I did a lot of fruitless searching and digging for a more appropriate forum, or an earlier discussion to latch onto, without success.

Edited by SpiritFlyer

57 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

From time to time I have the P3D v4 ATC options grayed out and therefore cannot be selected in the sim. It seems to happen in all the aircraft, whether payware or default at the same time. The only way I have been able to restore the function is with restarting the sim and loading the original default flight. If I subsequently try to reload any saved flight the window is unusable again. It is really odd because the jabbering can continue in the background, but I am unable to make a numerical selection to participate.

I do have the Bevelstone payware default AC accelerator installed which, up to now has not caused any problems. Does anyone have any idea where the fault may lie or ever heard of any cause or remedy. BTW, there is little point in trying to spell out here which addons I have as there are hundreds of everything with over 400G installed of scenery and aircraft. It does seem to be agnostic to plane or scenery, and just refuses to do it's thing regardless. Does any of this ring a bell or give you any ideas?

Kindest regards,

Stephen

PS: At risk of being chewed out by a number of brilliant forum cops willing to beat up a senior, I did a lot of fruitless searching and digging for a more appropriate forum, or an earlier discussion to latch onto, without success.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=128612&p=177650&hilit=ATC+window#p177650
To be fixed in next update.

all i do to activate it is click on the top of the ATC box where it says ATC disabled.

discovered this when i had same problem..seems the box loses its focus.try it and see.

best wishes

steve

Thanks Bill and Steve,

I had not realized there was a firestorm going on elsewhere over this same ATC problem. I guess I restrict my reading too much to AVSIM sources, so need to do more hitchhiking around.

The only thing that seems to work for me is a default opening flight followed by first an aircraft, then a location change and take it from there. It will not abide anything else that I can tell.

Buggy version, needs hotfix, but none coming according to LM. Next version fix only.

Grrrrr!

Thank you for the heads-up.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Spirit Flyer

One workaround that works for me is to assign atc1, atc2 etc to buttons on my joystick using fsuipc, then I can select ATC functions even when I can’t do so using the mouse and the onscreen menu.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 hours ago, regis9 said:

One workaround that works for me is to assign atc1, atc2 etc to buttons on my joystick using fsuipc, then I can select ATC functions even when I can’t do so using the mouse and the onscreen menu.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for responding! That sounds promising.

So, the window selections work and change according to selections as if it was not grayed out at all? Seems like reason enough to get FSUIPC once again. I did not get it for version 4. If there is not going to be a P3D hotfix (and I can not imagine why not!) I guess I will have to buy.

Anyone else make this FSUIPC workaround fix the problem?

22 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Kindest regards,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

How have you been Buddy!

I fixed my issue for good by simply uninstalling client, then reinstalling client. Done! It has not happen again in v4.2.

Maybe, I'm one of the lucky ones.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

And there i was thinking it was only me.i too have Fsuipc assigned buttons to 1+2 unfortunately that doesn't work for me.

steve

2 hours ago, steve howlett said:

And there i was thinking it was only me.i too have Fsuipc assigned buttons to 1+2 unfortunately that doesn't work for me.

steve

( To the sound of spooky music)

We are seldom alone...

:ohmy:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DJJose said:

Hi Stephen,

How have you been Buddy!

I fixed my issue for good by simply uninstalling client, then reinstalling client. Done! It has not happen again in v4.2.

Maybe, I'm one of the lucky ones.

Doing well and how are you DJ?

You don't look a day older! :cool:

I am going to try the client uninstall and reinstall to see if that does the trick. 

Thanks very much old friend!

Kindest regards,

Stephen

10 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Hi Dave,

Thank you for responding! That sounds promising.

So, the window selections work and change according to selections as if it was not grayed out at all? Seems like reason enough to get FSUIPC once again. I did not get it for version 4. If there is not going to be a P3D hotfix (and I can not imagine why not!) I guess I will have to buy.

Anyone else make this FSUIPC workaround fix the problem?

For me they do yes.  I’ve always had my ATC controls mapped to a 4 way switch on my Thrustmaster Warthog stick so I can respond to ATC without taking my hand off the stick in those crucial moments of flight, the fact that this allows me to keep using ATC while LM figures this issue out is a bonus.

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Bringing this back because I'm curious to know if other have rectified this issue by reinstalling client.

I also suggest deleting your cfg and letting P3d v4 create a new one. Sometimes the cfg gets corrupted and that can cause issues.

Keeping my fingers crossed. :biggrin:

Edited by DJJose
  • Upvote 1

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎30 at 9:41 AM, steve howlett said:

hope that works for you stephen.

take care

steve

Thank you Steve. If it happens again, that will be my next step.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎30 at 10:08 AM, regis9 said:

For me they do yes.  I’ve always had my ATC controls mapped to a 4 way switch on my Thrustmaster Warthog stick so I can respond to ATC without taking my hand off the stick in those crucial moments of flight, the fact that this allows me to keep using ATC while LM figures this issue out is a bonus.

Great to hear Dave. I hope LM releases a patch.

8 hours ago, DJJose said:

Bringing this back because I'm curious to know if other have rectified this issue by reinstalling client.

I also suggest deleting your cfg and letting P3d v4 create a new one. Sometimes the cfg gets corrupted and that can cause issues.

Keeping my fingers crossed. :biggrin:

Hi DJ,

I uninstalled and reinstalled as you suggested, without unregistering. Since then, I have only started out with the default flight, so whether it is the reinstall or the default flight, I don't know, but for now it works.

I have not tried to load a saved flight, for fear it all goes south again. What I have done is start the default flight, pause it, change the plane, let it load, pause again, change the airport, let it load, pause again, change the time, let it load, pause again, use the flight planner, let it load, every time with the ATC window open etc., etc., etc.

All this is a royal pain on the rudder. LOL :cool: One problem may be that the ground textures do not load uniformily, some winter and some summer textures. This is complicated for they are ORBX regions, ORBX airports and many other payware and payware aircraft, utilities and so on.

So complicated! Not that spending 90% of my time trying to fly and 10% in the air has been anything new! I remember the complications with "Bird's Eye View and fs2004 kept me up all one night when the Level D would not act nice (or the other way around).

So far, so good, sort of...

Kind regards,

Stephen

18 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Thank you Steve. If it happens again, that will be my next step.

Great to hear Dave. I hope LM releases a patch.

Hi DJ,

I uninstalled and reinstalled as you suggested, without unregistering. Since then, I have only started out with the default flight, so whether it is the reinstall or the default flight, I don't know, but for now it works.

I have not tried to load a saved flight, for fear it all goes south again. What I have done is start the default flight, pause it, change the plane, let it load, pause again, change the airport, let it load, pause again, change the time, let it load, pause again, use the flight planner, let it load, every time with the ATC window open etc., etc., etc.

All this is a royal pain on the rudder. LOL :cool: One problem may be that the ground textures do not load uniformily, some winter and some summer textures. This is complicated for they are ORBX regions, ORBX airports and many other payware and payware aircraft, utilities and so on.

So complicated! Not that spending 90% of my time trying to fly and 10% in the air has been anything new! I remember the complications with "Bird's Eye View and fs2004 kept me up all one night when the Level D would not act nice (or the other way around).

So far, so good, sort of...

Kind regards,

Stephen

Do what you fear most. Fear is nothing more than a state of mind:biggrin: