Sign in to follow this  
Eugenio Lo Cicero

FSX OOM Problem Only 747PMDG

Hello guys 

some days ago i bought PMDG 747 before this aircraft i installed some other addon like:

-REX TEXTURE (low resolution)
-REX AIRPORTS (low resolution)
-ORBX GLOBAL
-GSX
-PRO ATC
-AREOSOFT AIRBUS A 320
-PMDG 737 NGX

i play the simulator on a laptop so i know about the limitation compared to a pc, Obviously to get all these addons on my computer I had to find a fair compromise in the graphics settings,I had to reduce some other graphic parameters especially the autogen and the scenery complexcity, however I was able to set everything so i you can fly without incurring the annoying crash problem due to running out of virtual memory.

A couple of weeks ago I bought the pmdg 747 noticing that it consumes much more VAS compared to 737 so I decide to lower still the graphic parameters but today I still get the problem of crash (no more at the gate as it happened before but in flight at reaching the destination)

I decided to change the setting of my file paging for virtual memory by changing the values and currently setting it to "managed by the system" but I still have not solved the next attempts I would like to make are:

- modify the paging file further but I do not know how
- try to disable the scenarios that I do not need for that particular flight (I read type of scenery config editor I installed it but I understood little, in this regard I would like to know if there is a program that inserting start and finish automatically takes away all the scenarios not interested in that flight)

last thing I wanted to try but I'm not sure Steve fixer (I have not bought yet because I wanted to hear you first about whether it's worth it for my problem or not)

Now I have created two different profiles regarding the graphics settings (the file cfg appdata I have never touched) a standard in which flight with the 737 or with the airbus that I have tested all over the world in practice also with flights very long and a new setting to be used exclusively for 747

I await some advice and I thank everyone in advance

ps:  I apologize in advance for my bad english I'm italian

Eugenio 

Edited by Eugenio Lo Cicero

On 3/29/2018 at 8:14 AM, Eugenio Lo Cicero said:

I decided to change the setting of my file paging for virtual memory by changing the values and currently setting it to "managed by the system"

Virtual Address Space (VAS) has nothing to do with file paging.  It was good though that you changed the setting to 'system managed size' as AVSIM recommends that in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.

Windows allocates up to 4 GB's of VAS for each application.  The problem with FSX is that FSX/Acceleration alone would have no problems with default aircraft and scenery and would not run out of VAS.  But, when you start adding the eye-candy like the awesome PMDG 747, things start to go downhill.  The more add-on scenery and airports, the less likely you will be able to land your 747 at destination.  The descent and approach are the two most resource intensive periods of a FSX flight.  If you use real weather or any weather theme, it makes it even more unlikely.  There is no fix for this other than to lower your fsx and display driver settings.  On page 23, AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide, I provided information on how you can monitor your VAS usage during a flight.  If you see it running low, you might be able to pause the flight a few moments and then go back to the flight and that might give you some VAS back.  You can usually get down to 300-500 MB's of VAS left but anything lower will result in an immediate crash.  I know, with my powerful computer (see specs in my signature), I always have to hold my breath on descent and especially during the approach phase and hope the sim will not crash.  If you are flying into a commercially developed airport, maybe you could go into the World>Scenery Library menu and disable the airport if you see things going South (running out of VAS).

In the PMDG Operations Center for the PMDG 747, there is documentation starting around page 21 of the Introduction Manual that provides some of the above and additional settings to try.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:14 AM, Eugenio Lo Cicero said:

ast thing I wanted to try but I'm not sure Steve fixer (I have not bought yet because I wanted to hear you first about whether it's worth it for my problem or not)

If you own FSX/Acceleration or FSX/SP2, Steve's DX10 Fixer is a must as it fixes a lot of problems with textures, water, and textures at airports.

Best regards,

Jim

Edited by Jim Young

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

many thanks for the answer,you have been very clear, I solved by significantly lowering the settings from the game and so I managed to complete a flight, now I repeat the same flight trying every time to slightly raise some settings so as to find an ideal setup.

Eugenio 

• Like 1