Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

GTX 1080 worse than GTX960

I just updated my video card from a GTX 960 to a MSI GTX 1080. I did this hoping to improve performance is high density ares like LAX and SFO. I am actually getter more stutters and less FPS than I did with the GTX 960 at the same graphic settings.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Did you use DDU to facilitate the card change?  It makes upgrading video cards and drivers simple... it will uninstall your 960, delete the drivers, and clean the registry of all relevant nVidia video card drivers.  And then shut down the computer so you can change cards.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Once the 1080 is installed the new card's manufacturer's drivers should be installed before upgrading to drivers of your choice.

HTH,

Greg

• Like 1

Make sure you delete the shaders in P3D after installing the new card.  It's a step a lot of folks forget.

Also, make sure you have the additional PSU power pigtail(s) to the GPU card edge connected properly.  It's possible the 960 doesn't use those additional power connectors--the 1080 requires them to be connected (and if using a multiple-rail PSU, each of the two pigtails should come from a different 12v rail).

Regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Big mention here... when you come to install the driver, make sure you choose custom install and untick everything except the driver. You don't want any of that extra bloat nonsense to be installed :wink: 

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 hour ago, gregmorin said:

I just updated my video card from a GTX 960 to a MSI GTX 1080. I did this hoping to improve performance is high density ares like LAX and SFO. I am actually getter more stutters and less FPS than I did with the GTX 960 at the same graphic settings.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

Greg

I upped from a GTX 980 to GTX 1080, after going from P3dv3 to P3dv4.

I have FSDT KLAX and Orbx San Diego and Palm Springs in Orbx South California. (As well as Orbx over the planet)

I see absolutely no change in smoothness or FPS from the 980 in 32 bit to 1080 in 64 bit. This area (KLAX) appears to be a stutter fest, even with all sliders left most, it makes no difference.

When upping cards, always use NVidia custom install and wipe the shader folder. The 1080 is much faster on paper and has twice the VRAM. Certainly helps with the fancy 64 bit lighting effects but doesn't add smoothness or FPS!

I believe a top GPU will never cure the stutters in the aforementioned areas. P3d and FSX before, is a CPU intensive program and has issues with certain areas. It's the CPU, the RAM memory speed and the SSD speed (ideally PCIE at 3200 MHz or higher) that will be of greater benefit for smooth rendition of flight.

Just my two penneth.

Best regards.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, charlie130 said:

I upped from a GTX 980 to GTX 1080, after going from P3dv3 to P3dv4.

I have FSDT KLAX and Orbx San Diego and Palm Springs in Orbx South California. (As well as Orbx over the planet)

I see absolutely no change in smoothness or FPS from the 980 in 32 bit to 1080 in 64 bit. This area (KLAX) appears to be a stutter fest, even with all sliders left most, it makes no difference.

When upping cards, always use NVidia custom install and wipe the shader folder. The 1080 is much faster on paper and has twice the VRAM. Certainly helps with the fancy 64 bit lighting effects but doesn't add smoothness or FPS!

I believe a top GPU will never cure the stutters in the aforementioned areas. P3d and FSX before, is a CPU intensive program and has issues with certain areas. It's the CPU, the RAM memory speed and the SSD speed (ideally PCIE at 3200 MHz or higher) that will be of greater benefit for smooth rendition of flight.

Just my two penneth.

Best regards.

Thanks for the response David. 

Greg

Greg Morin

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

Did you use DDU to facilitate the card change?  It makes upgrading video cards and drivers simple... it will uninstall your 960, delete the drivers, and clean the registry of all relevant nVidia video card drivers.  And then shut down the computer so you can change cards.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Once the 1080 is installed the new card's manufacturer's drivers should be installed before upgrading to drivers of your choice.

HTH,

Greg

I will try it.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Morin

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Make sure you delete the shaders in P3D after installing the new card.  It's a step a lot of folks forget.

Also, make sure you have the additional PSU power pigtail(s) to the GPU card edge connected properly.  It's possible the 960 doesn't use those additional power connectors--the 1080 requires them to be connected (and if using a multiple-rail PSU, each of the two pigtails should come from a different 12v rail).

Regards

I did not delete the shaders. I will try that. I have a Corsair modular 850W PSU. I did connect both the 6 pin and 8 pin power points.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Morin

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Big mention here... when you come to install the driver, make sure you choose custom install and untick everything except the driver. You don't want any of that extra bloat nonsense to be installed :wink: 

Unfortunately, I did the express install. Maybe I should uninstall and start over. 

Thanks for your response Howard.

Greg

Greg Morin

3 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Unfortunately, I did the express install. Maybe I should uninstall and start over. 

Thanks for your response Howard.

Greg

I don't like all the extra stuff either, but the express install won't affect your frame rates.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hello

As the rest have suggested,  After updating your Graphics driver or changing your Graphics card Delete the Shaders folder and the Prepar3D.cfg file and let Prepar3D generate these again when launched next.

This will not effect your Add On's,  You will just need to adjust your graphic \ scenery settings again to your prefrence via Prepar3D > Options when you delete the Prepar3D.cfg file.  The Shaders will take a minute or two to generate again. 

Copy the 2 set's of Tex below and Paste them into your windows search bar, One by One and click on the result,  this will bring you directly to the correct locations

Right click and Delete the Prepar3D.cfg file

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Right click and Delete the Shaders folder 

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Also for best results when Installing your new graphics driver click Custom Installation and Tick the box for "Perform a clean Installation". 

As mentioned above you can also use a driver cleaning utility like DDU Driver Display Uninstaller to complete a clean uninstall of your old driver and then proceed to reinstall \ update your driver

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Dave & Poppet

Greg

Greg Morin

Elaine nailed it (that's officially a habit with you Elaine!!!).  I'd forgotten that the new NVIDIA driver package has the Clean Install option - means that you don't have to mess with wiping the drivers before installing the new ones (CAVEAT: If your drivers are a year old you may wish to Wipe them anyway).

Anyway, Greg I think with the terrific advice you've received in this thread your system will be running GREAT!

Best wishes my friend.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm glad this was posted. I just got my GTX1070 TI today and will install it tomorrow. I'm sure I would have forgotten to delete my shader folder. Thanks.

NAX669.png

Express install is a recipe for problems. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310