Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

GTX 1080 worse than GTX960

Is there a pinned topic for this process?  If not, administrators, please pick and choose the best practice steps and create one!  

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Here what I would buy (if I could afford it!):ohmy: Fastest GPU wont fix stutters.

The CPU comes first!

Manufacturer Intel Max. Memory Speed DDR4 - 2666 o/c to 4.8!:cool:

CPU Type Intel Core i7 Max. Memory Channels2 (Dual Channel)

CPU Model 8700K ECC Memory Support Not Supported

Socket1151 Intel Optane Memory Support Yes

Architecture Coffee Lake Scalability1 Socket/Processor ONLY

Manufacturing Process 14 nm Max. PCIe Lanes Supported 16

No. of Cores 6 Core Processor Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 630

No. of Threads12 Base GPU Speed 350 MHz

Core Ratio37 x Max. GPU Speed 1200 MHz

Clock Speed 3.7 GHz Max. GPU Resolution 4096x2304 (4K) @60Hz

Turbo Speed 4.7 GHz L1 Cache

Max. Turbo Speed (On 2 Cores Only)N/A L2 Cache

Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0No L3 Cache*See Intel Smart Cache*

FSB SpeedN/A Intel® Smart Cache12MB

QPI Speed N/A Voltage

UPI Links/SpeedN/A Max. TDP95W

DMI Speed8 GT/s Thermal Specification100 °C

Unlocked Core Multiplier Yes Heatsink

Unlocked Full Range Base Clock (B-Clock)No Package TypeSystem Integrated

Max. Memory Size 64 GB  

Then the memory;

Manufacturer Corsair Pins 288

Size 32GB (2x16GB) CAS Latency16-18-18-36

Memory Model Vengeance RGB Black Voltage1.35 V

Max. Memory Channels Provided by Kit Dual (2) Validated Compatible with

Memory Type DDR4 CoolerAnodised Aluminium Heatspreader

Memory Type (ECC)Non-ECC FeaturesBlack PCB
RGB LED Lighting
XMP 2.0

Memory Type (R/U)UDIMM (Unbuffered)   

Memory SpeedPC4-25600 (3200)

Then the SSD;

Manufacturer Samsung Special FeaturesAES 256-bit Encryption Support
Auto Garbage Collection Algorithm
S.M.A.R.T Support
TCG/Opal V2.0
TRIM Support

Capacity1TB Power Consumption (active)40 mW (idle)

Edition960 Pro Max. Endurance Rating800

Form FactorM.2 (2280) MTBF1.5M Hours

Height2.38 mm Max. Operating Vibration

Interface PCIe 3.0 (x4) Max. Non-operating Vibration

Host Controller InterfaceNVMe 1.2 Max. Operating Shock1500

Controller Max. Non-operating Shock

Flash Memory TypeNone Connectivity1 x M.2 (PCIe)

Max. Read 3,500 MB/s OS Support

Max. Write 2,100 MB/s BracketN/A

DRAM Cache Memory1GB Dimensions

DRAM Cache Memory TypeDDR3 Weight

Max. Random Read 4K 440,000 IOPS Package Type Retail

Max. Random Write 4K 360,000 IOPS   

And finally the GPU...a GTX 1080 Ti will not be bottlenecked by the above!:cool: Any bottlenecks with P3d/FSX ESP code will produce stutter!

If stutters appear with this lot, we need a new flight sim coded!!

Best regards

Thank you all for your replies. I will re-install my GTX 1080 either this afternoon or tomorrow and report back. David that would be quite a system!

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

I took your suggestions. Uninstalled the old drivers using DDU in safe mode. Did a clean re-install of the new drivers. Then I deleted the shaders and the P3DV4.2 cfg. It made a significant improvement. However I am still getting more stutters than I did with the GTX 960 in high density areas. 

Thanks everybody for all your help!

Greg

Greg Morin

If you read the P3D and FSX forums long enough, you might come across the concept that to get the most out of your system your settings need to be balanced with your hardware. It is a trial and error process. Once you have that sweet spot, just dropping in a better GPU or CPU will NOT guarantee you better overall results.

I've seen many people install a new card and immediately crank up the settings - many times getting worse results. Once you have the new card installer and a clean driver install you may still have to fine tune your system to keep in in balance.

Adjust your settings - some may need to go up and some may need to go down.Many times INCREASING a specific setting will result in better performance - too many people just think of decreasing settings to improve. Not always the case.

Vic

• Like 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, gregmorin said:

I took your suggestions. Uninstalled the old drivers using DDU in safe mode. Did a clean re-install of the new drivers. Then I deleted the shaders and the P3DV4.2 cfg. It made a significant improvement. However I am still getting more stutters than I did with the GTX 960 in high density areas. 

Thanks everybody for all your help!

Greg

Greg,

I didn't see what Windows version you were using, but, if it is 10, it could be this issue:

Stuttering due to WIN 10?

Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs. Yep, still stuttering
Gamers say performance woes haven't been addressed as Spring Creators Update looms. . .
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/29/windows_10_creators_update_driver_flaws/

Edited by n99wb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, n99wb said:

Greg,

I didn't see what Windows version you were using, but, if it is 10, it could be this issue:

Stuttering due to WIN 10?

Six months on, and let's check in on those 'stuttering' Windows 10 PCs. Yep, still stuttering
Gamers say performance woes haven't been addressed as Spring Creators Update looms. . .
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/29/windows_10_creators_update_driver_flaws/

Thanks for the info but i am using WIN 7.

Greg

Greg Morin

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

If you read the P3D and FSX forums long enough, you might come across the concept that to get the most out of your system your settings need to be balanced with your hardware. It is a trial and error process. Once you have that sweet spot, just dropping in a better GPU or CPU will NOT guarantee you better overall results.

I've seen many people install a new card and immediately crank up the settings - many times getting worse results. Once you have the new card installer and a clean driver install you may still have to fine tune your system to keep in in balance.

Adjust your settings - some may need to go up and some may need to go down.Many times INCREASING a specific setting will result in better performance - too many people just think of decreasing settings to improve. Not always the case.

Vic

Thanks Vic!

I had a very balanced system with my I7 4770K and the GTX 960. I have noticed with GTX 1080 that 4096 textures is soother than 1028 textures. I will keep trying to save my investment but I can always go back to the 960. I was really after the 8 gbs of VRAM for the new P3DV4 airports that are releasing. It maybe that the 1080 gets put away until I upgrade the CPU, motherboard and memory.

Greg

Greg Morin

Possible fix for stuttering in the latest version of Windows 10: https://windowsreport.com/stutter-games-diagnostics-policy-service/. I'd probably ignore the game booster, though.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 3/29/2018 at 10:16 PM, fppilot said:

If not, administrators, please pick and choose the best practice steps and create one!  

So far I have not seen anything that will solve the OP's issue and he has not stated anything worked.  His GPU upgrade was modest.  If there is any earth-shattering fix, I will pin it.  Everything suggested is well-known especially deleting the shaders folder (see AVSIM CTD Guide, page 24).  I think deleting the shaders folder and rebuilding the P3D.cfg are the two best suggestions posted so far.  Even with my i7 7700K and GTX 1080TI and my two M.2 drives, I see a whole lot of stuttering in the LAX area with modest settings and I have not found a solution yet.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Possible fix for stuttering in the latest version of Windows 10

I disabled my Diagnostic Policy Service and ran my flight from KLAX to KBUR and still see stuttering.  So it did not fix it for me.

I have run several flights between KLAX and KPHX (Phoenix) with Process Monitor and see it is loading every scenery enabled, Orbx Regions, and everything in Scenery/World/Scenery and Scenery/Global/Scenery and I'm almost positive it is all this loading of objects and textures that causes the occasional long pause and stutters, especially in the LAX and PSP areas.  All of the FSDT scenery is loading.  All of the Orbx Regions are loading.  Then, every so often, I see 'TCP' which indicates to me the sim is calling home somewhere to check on a license.  I have also disable FSDT KLAX, Orbx SoCal, and Orbx KPSP so that just the default is showing and still get stutters and pauses.  So I do not think any video card could fix this problem.  Textures may render faster but that's about it. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

14 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Thanks Vic!

I had a very balanced system with my I7 4770K and the GTX 960. I have noticed with GTX 1080 that 4096 textures is soother than 1028 textures. I will keep trying to save my investment but I can always go back to the 960. I was really after the 8 gbs of VRAM for the new P3DV4 airports that are releasing. It maybe that the 1080 gets put away until I upgrade the CPU, motherboard and memory.

Greg

Greg,

I'm running the same system as you are, though my 1080 has 11GB of VRAM and my processor is overclocked to 4.3GHz.  4.2+ GHz seems to be the magic processor speed for me.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Greg,

I'm running the same system as you are, though my 1080 has 11GB of VRAM and my processor is overclocked to 4.3GHz.  4.2+ GHz seems to be the magic processor speed for me.

Best wishes.

Thanks Dave,

I do not know why but the results are consistent. I have not overclocked my 4770K but it turbos up to 4.2 as measured by cpuz_64. The only places I am still having issue is The Orbx California and Germany regions with KSFO, KLAX and EDDF. With my 960 I got a FPS performance hit but it was much smoother and flyable. With the 1080 the frames are all over the place up and down causing the stutters. I think my CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. I will test further Monday after the holiday. I may just upgrade the CPU, motherboard and RAM.

Greg

Greg Morin

I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone has checked yet is if you're using any tweaks (P3D or NVIDIA Inspector) as well as your P3D settings.  Can you post them?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Greg - two questions. Are you running P3D off an SSD (with the cache driver enabled) and have you been able to enable the XMP profile for your memory?

• Like 1