Sign in to follow this  
uncle_piano

Extreme behavior with Active Sky Next & FSX:SE

Hello all.

I have been flying with ASN for half a year and now I wouldn't fly without it. But recently I have been running into two significant problems that really spoil the experience.

The first problem occurs mostly at runway thresholds on runways located before a cliff (LPMA, GCLA, etc.). I have been experiencing extreme downdrafts below 50ft radar alt at said runway thresholds which slams my PMDG 747 (also happens to other aircraft) onto the runway at a rate of more than -1000ft/min which results in a crash and a ruined otherwise perfect FsPassengers flight. Turning off the downdrafts does solve the problem but I really like downdrafts when they are where they are supposed to be.

Second one is rarer but even more extreme. During descent on some flights, at around 15000ft the aircraft gets violently flipped over, upside down and then back (120 degrees of bank and pitch, sometimes even complete 360s), reaching stall speeds and ridiculous G load (-1 to 3G). All said behaviors happen in less than 2 seconds. I only ran into this problem when flying PMDG 747 v3, so it might not be ASN. But I haven't run into this problem flying the queen without ASN.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Minami Chan

Edited by uncle_piano

Please log onto the HiFi support portal at http://support.hifitechinc.com and log a support ticket, be sure to copy the URL from this thread into your ticket request. 

Thank you !

\Robert Hamlich/

On 3/31/2018 at 1:04 PM, HUSSAR said:

Please log onto the HiFi support portal at http://support.hifitechinc.com and log a support ticket, be sure to copy the URL from this thread into your ticket request. 

Thank you !

Thank you. Will do that. The flip happened again today on final approach.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:34 AM, uncle_piano said:

Second one is rarer but even more extreme. During descent on some flights, at around 15000ft the aircraft gets violently flipped over, upside down and then back (120 degrees of bank and pitch, sometimes even complete 360s), reaching stall speeds and ridiculous G load (-1 to 3G). All said behaviors happen in less than 2 seconds. I only ran into this problem when flying PMDG 747 v3, so it might not be ASN. But I haven't run into this problem flying the queen without ASN.

Just a wild guess: I had something similar caused by earlier versions of PF3, my bug report for that was named "listening to destination ATIS causes aircraft to spin out of control" and it looked like this:

PntXuwT.jpg

Notice the message bar. The reason for the error was that the message is sent via an FSUIPC buffer with a size of 128 bytes. If an application writes beyond these bytes, it will hit FSUIPC's logging options (which sometimes changed by itself until this bug was fixed), axis inputs for spoiler, flaps and brakes, and various other things.

Now FSUIPC even has a default option of "LogOptionsProtect=Yes", probably because there are some other programs which write beyond these 128 bytes.

Do you see such a message when the problem occurs? If yes, what does it say?

1 hour ago, ThomasAH said:

Just a wild guess: I had something similar caused by earlier versions of PF3, my bug report for that was named "listening to destination ATIS causes aircraft to spin out of control" and it looked like this:

PntXuwT.jpg

Notice the message bar. The reason for the error was that the message is sent via an FSUIPC buffer with a size of 128 bytes. If an application writes beyond these bytes, it will hit FSUIPC's logging options (which sometimes changed by itself until this bug was fixed), axis inputs for spoiler, flaps and brakes, and various other things.

Now FSUIPC even has a default option of "LogOptionsProtect=Yes", probably because there are some other programs which write beyond these 128 bytes.

Do you see such a message when the problem occurs? If yes, what does it say?

Hi. Thank you for replying. That seems intriguing. But I don't recall having tuned to the ATIS nor receiving the broadcast message so I guess it might as well be a different problem?

5 minutes ago, uncle_piano said:

Hi. Thank you for replying. That seems intriguing. But I don't recall having tuned to the ATIS nor receiving the broadcast message so I guess it might as well be a different problem?

That's what I meant with "wild guess" :)

Though the possibility for this bug is not limited to ATIS: The one-line message bar (or multiple-line FSUIPC window, which uses the same buffer) is used by many programs to interact with the user.