Sign in to follow this  
wyman_hd

PMDG 747 FMC freeze

I know you can turn on and off standby power, but this ALWAYS happens on my flights.

Why does it do it?

Aaron Kim

31 minutes ago, Aaron Kim said:

Why does it do it?

Using a panel state? If so, try it without a panel state. If it works, then your panel state is corrupted. Delete it and create a new one.

EDIT:

Also - open up the Operations Center to be sure you're on the most up-to-date version.

Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

I did a flight from KLAS to KSFO with the 747, but i just let the plane initialize then i just shut down the engines like it was in cold-and-dark mode.

BUT, it STILL happened to freeze the FMC when I finished cruising.

I checked the operations center and the OC says that there are no notifications, so I think i'm running the latest version.

Edited by Aaron Kim

9 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

I know you can turn on and off standby power

I don't understand your problem.  The standby power selector should be in AUTO during flight (FCOM 6.20.12).  What is it that you are turning off exactly?  Are you using the CDU when it freezes?  Imagine that I'm not standing next to you and I cannot see what you are doing.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 minutes ago, downscc said:

I don't understand your problem.  The standby power selector should be in AUTO during flight (FCOM 6.20.12).

Many people said to fix this problem, turn the standby power off then on. It does bring the FMC back to life, but when I close P3D and reopen, the FMC freezes again mid-flight

Edited by Aaron Kim

16 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

Many people said to fix this problem, turn the standby power off then on. It does bring the FMC back to life, but when I close P3D and reopen, the FMC freezes again mid-flight

Aaron, you are still not describing the problem. Are you using the CDU when it freezes?  Exactly what are you entering or doing?  Please describe the problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm not doing anything. I'm just cruising then FMC freezes automatically. Again, i'm not touching ANY of the CDUs.

still  dont  know  what the issue  is  how  do  you know  if the  fmc  freezes? , if  you dont  touch  it

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

No, I notice all the numbers on the FMC disappear and when I noticed that, I tried to press on the FMC's "MENU" button, but nothing happened.

2 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

No, I notice all the numbers on the FMC disappear and when I noticed that, I tried to press on the FMC's "MENU" button, but nothing happened.

"All the numbers on the FMC disappear" still does not describe the problem.  What page or all pages?  Only numbers what about characters?  Sorry, sometimes it takes a couple of sentences to describe a problem, we cannot look over your shoulder.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ok here's an example.

Say your flying at 25000 feet.

You're not touching anything, and both FMC's are set at the LEGS page.But ANY numbers on the legs page, (distance, altitude, etc) disappear, and ANY button you press on the 2D FMC, or the FMC in the VC, don't work. Let's say you press, "MENU". For me, after the numbers disappear, ALL buttons are rendered 'broken' and nothing happens. BTW, ALL BUTTONS do not work after the numbers disappear.

Edited by Aaron Kim

You said many people claim that doing something with standby power would fix it, but it isn't working for you...., "many people?"  Here in the PMDG forum?  I'm not aware of a problem being reported like this in the past year, it is a very unique problem which is why i kept drilling for a full description.  I'm not sure I know where to start with solutions. 

Maybe the panel state file as mentioned by Kyle.  Exactly how are you starting the session?  Do you load a previously saved scenario or are you starting with default engines running?  How are you entering the flight plan, manually or imported and if imported from what source?  What is the flightplan?

After the numbers disappear, does anything else change in the cockpit?  Does the FMA still indicate SPD|LNAV|VNAV or whatever it should be indicating?

Dan Downs KCRP

Well, hello, I do have the same FMC freeze when preparing the flight on ground, all numbers starts to disappear, then suddenly FMC is completly frozen. It occurs when the first scrachpad message arises.

So as Kyle said, I went in the Ops center and updated to the last version avail. here May, 29 2018. (3.00.8605).

In the meantime I went to Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II\PanelState and removed any customised panel states.

Problems seems to be solved on my first test flight, I must confirm with other test flights.