Sign in to follow this  
G-BANX

P3D v4.2 FPS / TWEAKING / PERFORMANCE BOOST

Morning all,

Soooo I finally made the jump to P3D properly after many many years of MSFS. 

Im struggling here if I’m honest...

I’ve repurchased all my Orbx scenery at substantial cost and upgraded active sky / ASCA to the latest for P3D and I’m suffering in default aircraft with FPS. I come from a heavily tweaked FSX with a good locked 40fps.. how / can I get back to this with p3d? Is tweaking required again or is there a tweaking add on program? Is my hardware just not good enough?

My specs:

Core i7-4790K 4GHz Quad-Core (OC 4.4ghz)

2 x SLI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V (OC’d)

samsung evo 850 SSD’s

Corsair - Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3-1866 Memory

Many thanks in advance

1 hour ago, G-BANX said:

I’ve repurchased all my Orbx scenery at substantial cost

Er... Orbx don't have to be repurchased for P3D...? Did you seriously buy them all again?

1 hour ago, G-BANX said:

I come from a heavily tweaked FSX with a good locked 40fps.. how / can I get back to this with p3d? Is tweaking required again or is there a tweaking add on program?

Most people and certainly I will advice to NOT TWEAK AT ALL and simply use the P3D setting screens to get good performance. Remember that, roughtly said, medium or even low P3D settings may equal FSX ultra settings so don't pull all sliders right right away: begin low or in the middle and then move the settings you really want higher until performance starts to go down.

I purchased England Wales, Scotland and trees, just had global before. Treated myself :D

i came across this https://www.simtweaks.com/ which made me thing tweaking was a thing

sounds like I just need to upgrade hardware then?

Edited by G-BANX

13 minutes ago, G-BANX said:

I purchased England Wales, Scotland and trees, just had global before. Treated myself :D

i came across this https://www.simtweaks.com/ which made me thing tweaking was a thing

sounds like I just need to upgrade hardware then?

Ah, okay, I thought you REpurchased everything you had. :happy:

Well, PTA, which you can buy on that site, isn't a performance tweaker: it's more some sort of graphical enhancer. That name is a bit misleading. :happy: I use it myself because it adds more depth to the sim (deeper shadows, ligher lights) and gives everything in the distance that realistic blue color. I love PTA (using the default preset from Matt that comes with it without changing (tweaking) anything myself). But as I said, it isn't a performance tweaker!

Now of course there are people who still tweak their sim: just recently an addon has been released that automatically changes the FFTF in the sim (or was it FTFF or FFFT... I forgot all about those abbreviations :tongue: ) but most people simply don't tweak. Use the settings and if that doesn't cut it, upgrade the hardware indeed.

Multitasking looking after the kids and typing. Interesting about PTA, I may look into that once I’ve achieved stability at higher FPS then as I’m guessing it’s going to hit the FPS if it’s madding more detail lol.

fiber frame something or other haha. It’s been so long since I’ve tweaked as I’ve been using the same CFC tweaked for years lol. 

Whats the prefered gfx card I was thinking GTX 1080ti strix 11gb?

25 minutes ago, G-BANX said:

Multitasking looking after the kids and typing. Interesting about PTA, I may look into that once I’ve achieved stability at higher FPS then as I’m guessing it’s going to hit the FPS if it’s madding more detail lol.

It mainly uses other/different shaders so it's not adding more detail. However, I do think some shaders can hit fps a little. Didn't notice that really though. I only notice things look a bit better and more real.

26 minutes ago, G-BANX said:

Whats the prefered gfx card I was thinking GTX 1080ti strix 11gb?

Well, haha, yes, the prefered card will always be the fastest one! :happy: I bought a 1080 a year ago and it serves me well. I did read nVidia will release their next gen of cards soon though so you might want to check that out before buying a 1080Ti right away!

You might also want to wait for some more replies and advice because, well, in the flight simming world it is always wise to not listen to just one guy (even if it is me LOL). :biggrin:

A gtx1070 will do the job nicely, unless you have a 4k monitor.

I would expect your dual 970s to do a decent job as well.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Actually, if you're using 1920x1200, or less, a single GTX 970 is more than up to the job...even with dual monitors.....you should have no trouble at all and I doubt that an "upgrade" is going to make much, if any, difference.....Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Also the amount of graphic card memory can be a limiting factor when turning up the graphic options.  I routinely see it use 6-10gb of graphics memory while flying.  If it runs out of available memory, it will impact you FPS.

Alan