Sign in to follow this  
p3dnerd

P3D v4.2 Stops When Using Active Sky And Precipitation Is Present

Hi All,

I am using P3d v4.2 and I've come across a problem.  I load an aircraft like PMDG 737ngx at an airport like Orbx KSAN....let everything load up....then set the panel state to say SHORT on the ngx and let that initialize.  Then I activate Active Sky for P3d V4, using ASCA with full dynamics....if I then load the flight plan into Active Sky and Active Sky shows active precipitation at the departure airport (either rain or snow).....P3D will then shutdown without any error message .....just CTD.

I have detailed precipitation and windshield effects both checked in the P3d options menu.   I have also tried loading Active Sky first, before launching P3d v4.2 and going to the departure airport.....the terrain etc all loads but as soon as the airport and aircraft start to load, P3d crashes.

I read in other threads that this might be a bug in P3d v4 and that the current work around is to make sure that "detailed precipitation" is checked as an option and that Active Sky is launched before launching P3D, but this isn't working for me.

Any other suggestions for fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.......but I realize I just might have to wait until Lockheed Martin implements a fix.  Thanks for any assistance you might be able offer.

Apparently this is a known bug in P3dv4.2 and switching on "Detailed precipitation" in the P3D settings should fix it for now.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

I also have this problem, and as p3nerd already stated, Detailed precipitation is checked. I do hope they fix this problem soon. It's just not the same without Active Sky.

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Thanks for the reply Brian T.....unfortunately, for whatever reason, that workaround doesn't get the job done for me.  I've got "Detailed Precipitation" checked on in the P3D settings and it doesn't make any difference.  I still get the CTD if there is snow or rain.

Hi flyblueskies.....thanks for contributing.  I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy regarding the suggested workaround of checking detailed precipitation.  Sorry that you've got the same issue.  I too hope it is fixed soon and agree with you that it's just not the same without Active Sky.

Wierd, I never had that and I've had rain and snow both. But not any PMDG planes.

I didn't mention in my OP that I also use Envshade and Envtex.  I wonder if that could be causing an issue....maybe with the Envtex rain textures.  I'll mess with that and see if it makes a difference.  Will let you know what I find out.

• Like 1

Hmm.....as I'm thinking about it......I'm also using precipitfx and the immersion effects for the 737.  Again, perhaps that's causing a conflict too.  (Maybe I'm also suffering from addon overload....LOL).

Well I'll play around with various combinations of stuff....uninstall and try things to see if maybe I can isolate the issue.  I'll keep everyone posted.

20 hours ago, p3dnerd said:

Any other suggestions for fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.......but I realize I just might have to wait until Lockheed Martin implements a fix.  Thanks for any assistance you might be able offer.

I would be interested to see what the faulting module was using AppCrashView or the Event Viewer.  I know it has been reported as an issue on the Lockheed forum and they say they are going to issue a fix but I have flown many flights in P3DV4.2 with ASP4 and still have not seen a crash and I would suggest it is a problem with Envshade and Envtex and not P3DV4.2.  I do not have Envshade and Envtex installed.  Everytime you throw in an addon, whether developed for P3DV4 or not, you risk crashes and freezes.  I would think, like some said in the other long thread about this issue, Lockheed Martin would issue a Hotfix if rain is causing crashes as it would make P3DV4 almost unusable. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Okay Guys.....here's where I'm at right now.

I de-activated the rain and snow effects for Precipitfx by unchecking them in the dashboard for that addon.

I then launched P3D v4.2.....loaded the PMDG 737 ngx at an airport that I knew was reporting rain (I did not deactivate the FSFX packages Immersion for the 737, that was still running)....I let the aircraft load at the airport under Fair Skies....everything initialized.....I set the panel state as desired....let that initialized....then I paused the sim and launched Active Sky for P3D v4 with ASCA....loaded a simple flight plan from the current airport where AS was reporting rain.....returned to the sim....and voila, RAIN was falling and no CTD....BTW....I had ENVTEX rain and snow effects active and they didn't seem to cause any problems.

I repeated the same procedure/steps with a less complex aircraft....e.g. Carenado Bonanza A36 and everything worked okay again.

Then I tried it with the new MILVIZ Cessna 310R Redux.....but got a CTD.  This aircraft had TrueGlass and TrueLight both active. So I started again by repeating the steps with the Carenado Bonanza ....got everything to load successfully with rain coming down.....then I used the drop down select menu to select the MILVIZ 310R Redux....that aircraft loaded fine in the Cold and Dark State....and I still got rain falling at the airport and the TrueGlass effects showed up on the windshield.

So that's it.....I have "Detailed Precipitation" checked in the P3D settings for all the above scenarios.

Bottomline.....seems that for me it is best to activate the AS weather engine and ASCA after I've launched the sim and loaded the aircraft at the departure airport.

AND....it appears that my problem was related to having the Rain and Snow effects from FSFX Packages Precipitfx activated......seems to have created a conflict with the rain and snow textures/effects of P3D v4.2.

For now everything seems to work fine and is stable for me following the steps outlined above.  I hope this discussion of my experience can be helpful to other guys who might be having similar problems.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To Jim Young.....seems our posts crossed in the mail so to speak.

But I agree with you that the problem I'm experiencing is related to the texture addons that I'm using....and not to P3D v4.2.

In my case, for now, the guilty addon seems to have been PRECIPITFX rain and snow effects.....I'll see how things are doing several flights with different aircraft and will report back....but for now and for me.....the ENVTEX and ENVSHADE addons do not seem to be causing issues.....stay tuned.  I'll update as I get more info.

Thanks again Jim for taking the time to respond to this topic.

• Like 1

Interesting...I do have the Milviz 310R Redux along with ENVTEX and ENVSHADE, but I do not have PRECIPITFX.

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Hi flyblueskies.....have you solved your problem with the MV 310R Redux and using dynamic weather with Active Sky?

I thought I had solved it by eliminating the rain and snow effects of PRECIPITFX.....however I got a CTD yesterday flying above a heavy overcast sky in an area that the weather radar showed precipitation was present.

So I tried to disable the rain and snow effects of ENVTEX in the settings menu, but that didn't seem to work because for some reason even though I pushed the save settings button in ENVDIR....the changes were not saved after I closed ENVDIR and launched P3D....I'm not sure what's going on...and I'm not sure how to fix this.....although I'm now leaning toward uninstalling ENVTEX.

Well, after your last post, I updated Envdir and lost all ground textures...

After posting for help, Elaine came to the rescue and I reinstalled P3DV4.2 client. I got my ground textures back, but have not tested precipitation issues yet.

Currently at work, so will have to test later...

Edited by flyblueskies