Sign in to follow this  
kmax59

P4AO - 1.32_b02 Groups issues

Hi Oliver,

First of all, thanks a lot for the latest addition to the group feature.

After using it a bit, I've discovered three issues:

• Deleting a group sometimes deletes another group, this seems random, I cannot find a logic to it as sometimes it works correctly
  • If you change the name of the "group B" which is inside another "group A", activating the "group A" will triger an unhandled exception as the name of the "group B" name wasn't updated in the assignments of "group A"
  • Restoring a backup doesn't bring back the groups (I'm not sure it is supposed to)

As for my previous request, it would still be convenient to be able to disable a single scenery entry from the group page. As you said you didn't completely understand the point of such a feature, I'll try to provide a good example:

Imagine you have a group named "USA California" and inside it you have a scenery for  all these airports, which are pretty close in a very dense and fps intense area:

• KLAX
  • KLGB 
  • KHHR 
  • KSMO
  • KFUL
  • KTOA
  • KBUR
  • FTX South California
  • About 20 other sceneries around california

Imagine today you want to fly between KLAX and KBUR, but you don't want to get all californian sceneries enabled because so much sceneries in the LAX area will completely destroy my fps, and the P3D loading time will be quite longer.
You'd like to enable only KLAX, KBUR and FTX SCA, at the moment you have only 2 solutions: Searching for these 2 sceneries in the "Scenery" page but it's not really easy with a lot of sceneries installed, or you can enable the group "USA - California" then disable all the airports you don't want one by one, but the "problem" is the same as the first solution.
You could possibly create a specific group excluding all the sceneries you don't want for this flight, but it wouldn't have any point as tomorrow you may fly between KLAX and KFUL and never fly again between KLAX and KBUR.

Being able to enable/disable a single entry in a group would allow to find the scenery easily, as I know KLAX and KBUR are in California, you'd just have to scroll down to this group and enable the sceneries.

Of course I don't want to sound insisting, your tool is absolutely fantastic and allows us to save a lot of time in scenery management, but this would save even more time if this could be possible.
Hope the reason of my request is now clearer :)

Edited by kmax59

Maxime
TOGA projects

I've discovered another issue about groups in groups:

• When a group is assigned to 2 different group, enabling the 2 master group will result it getting the lower group disabled: for example if "group A" is assigned to "MASTER group 1" and also to "MASTER GROUP 2", enabling "MASTER GROUP 1" will enable "group A", but enabling "MASTER GROUP 2" will then disable "group A" as it will just change its status instead of making sur it is enabled.

Cheers,

Maxime

Maxime
TOGA projects

I think what would be nice, instead of having a scenery tab, and a group tab, combine both functions on one tab...with the option of viewing groups, or individual scenery...but with individual scenery NOT contained in groups still showing individually in group view. Seems to me it would make things much more simple...what am I missing? A possible issue with this scenario might be difficulty with scenery ordering.

Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

4 hours ago, somiller said:

I think what would be nice, instead of having a scenery tab, and a group tab, combine both functions on one tab...with the option of viewing groups, or individual scenery...but with individual scenery NOT contained in groups still showing individually in group view. Seems to me it would make things much more simple...what am I missing? A possible issue with this scenario might be difficulty with scenery ordering.

Regards,

granted, but there are other tools doing that. P4AO was not designed to be a scenery management tool - it is supposed to handle all kinds of addons that are to be installed externally. That scenery is so prominent and has its own dialog stems from the fact that I wanted a method to layer it properly.

As for the groups: I have a different use case. I wanted to be able to have the same scenery in multiple groups at the same time. So I can have a photoreal group, a winter group, a summer group, an IFR group, a VFR group etc. Many of these would only have subtle differences as to which sceneries are active in them.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

8 hours ago, kmax59 said:

I've discovered another issue about groups in groups:

• When a group is assigned to 2 different group, enabling the 2 master group will result it getting the lower group disabled: for example if "group A" is assigned to "MASTER group 1" and also to "MASTER GROUP 2", enabling "MASTER GROUP 1" will enable "group A", but enabling "MASTER GROUP 2" will then disable "group A" as it will just change its status instead of making sur it is enabled.

Cheers,

Maxime

Hello Maxime,

OK then, I have fixed the bugs and added the functionality that you asked for (=excluding groups or entries within from the activation process).

But I need someone to test it before I release it to the public. Seems to me like you volunteered? If you are willing, please send me an email, and I will make the new version available to you. Address is on the last page of the users manual.

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Thanks Oliver !

Yes, I'd be glad to test this new version :)
I'm about to send you a mail.

Maxime
TOGA projects