Sign in to follow this  
honanhal

New case recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm looking to stick my current build in a new case in the next few months. The case I'm using now is already 7 years old and it's time for a change (also a fresh PSU!). I'm mostly looking for solid cooling (I'm using a Noctua NH D15S for CPU air cooling) and enough space to make working inside the case less stressful than my past experience has usually been. (I've been using a Corsair Carbide 400R.) The less silly features (e.g. colored LEDs) the better.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

James

Edited by honanhal

3 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Hi all,

I'm looking to stick my current build in a new case in the next few months. The case I'm using now is already 7 years old and it's time for a change (also a fresh PSU!). I'm mostly looking for solid cooling (I'm using a Noctua DH-15S for CPU air cooling) and enough space to make working inside the case less stressful than my past experience has usually been. (I've been using a Corsair Carbide 400R.) The less silly features (e.g. colored LEDs) the better.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

James

A few months ago, I upgraded my case to a Corsair Obsidian 750D.  Mainly because it lacked all of those silly features as you say, but also needed some extra space for the 1080 and all the cooling I planned to add inside.  This case was mainly made for an air-cooled CPU, but I installed an H100i v2 water cooler.  I have to say, the airflow is pretty superb with this case.  Definitely not disappointed.  It's quite big though, but I believe this style case comes in different sizes.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

I just finished a build using the new Fractal Design Define R6, Blackout version.  Very nice tempered glass case with flexible features and arrangement.  Just search YouTube... there are quite a few build videos.  Excellent case for cooling.  This is the quietest PC I've built to date.  Specs are in my signature.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I Have a gorgeous Phantek Evolv ATX Toughed Glass. Best looking case I've come across and I am very impressed with Phantek quality. 

Cools great with air cooling, I have the D15S too. But for radiators it's not so good, as the vents around the front aluminium panel are not that large, same for the top vents. 

So for radiators, no I probably wouldn't recommend it without mods, but for air cooling, does the job perfectly and as I said... looks gorgeous.

Another Phanteks vote. It may be a few years old now but still available - the Phanteks Enthoo Pro (not the Pro M): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc. It's a large case (so check it will fit) which offers many different cooling options and is particularly easy to work in. A real enthusiast case with no unnecessary frills, it comes in two different versions - with or without the side window. Best of all, unlike most other cases it's screwed together rather than riveted so can easily be fully customised.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Coolermaster Pro 5 case (now named Coolermaster Mastercase Maker 5) with an H100 cooler houses my system and I am very happy with it.  Two fans on front, two on top, and one in the rear. Good filtering from the screens that cover the fans.  Highly customizable.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/mastercase-maker-5/

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I got the Corsair Obsidian Series 750D mostly because my first build had the same case in an older model.  Honestly its far too big, way over the top for P3D.  I would seriously suggest a smaller case that someone here has recommended unless you plan to add all kinds of extra's which are really not needed for FS computers.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I downsized (or upsized depending on your point of view) to a Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case. I love this case. It has clean lines great airflow and a lower footprint if it is setting on your desk. It fits  2 GTX 1080 ti cards, a big H115i corsair cpu radiator cooler and a Corsair HX1200i PS no problem at all.

Edited by nz_kiwi

19 hours ago, dmiannay said:

I just finished a build using the new Fractal Design Define R6, Blackout version.  Very nice tempered glass case with flexible features and arrangement.  Just search YouTube... there are quite a few build videos.  Excellent case for cooling.  This is the quietest PC I've built to date.  Specs are in my signature.

Was just going to post a link but great minds think alike. I love mine; it's quiet, stylish and keeps the dust out.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I built mine on the R5 Fractal Design great case and build quality, have since added another 140 silent fan then ran the over clock again and it now hit`s 5gz stable but still silent.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

46 minutes ago, rjfry said:

... and it now hit`s 5gz stable but still silent.

Hi Raymond.  Silent is good  Are you saying it remains silent when you're running your sim with study-level aircraft and 3rd party airport sceneries, or it is silent when idling at 5.0MHz?  I'm trying to understand expectations for my new rig here.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

3 hours ago, dmiannay said:

Hi Raymond.  Silent is good  Are you saying it remains silent when you're running your sim with study-level aircraft and 3rd party airport sceneries, or it is silent when idling at 5.0MHz?  I'm trying to understand expectations for my new rig here.

My system is setup under ASUS AI Suite 3 with smart fan, and a exe link to P3Dv4 which means that it can go to core 0, 5000 core 1,5001 core 2,5000 core 3,5001. when I start P3D the fans spin up but even then I have move my ear close to even hear the fans.

Using Riva Tuner I found that it run mostly at 4.5, only in heavy scenery area will it push to 4.8 to 4.9  and when a sudden change of view it sometimes hit`s 5.0, CPUID Monitor showing min temp 34, max temp 69 on CPU, MB 34deg

PS I run PMDG 747 and 777 for testing in sim using ORBX UK from UK2000 EGKK over EGLC and then into EGLL setup in xtrem airports if I can fly there smooth I'm happy not interested in FPS have them locked to 29, ASUS 28inch 4K monitor set at 30hz. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, rjfry said:

My system is setup under ASUS AI Suite 3 with smart fan, and a exe link to P3Dv4 which means that it can go to core 0, 5000 core 1,5001 core 2,5000 core 3,5001. when I start P3D the fans spin up but even then I have move my ear close to even hear the fans.

That sounds very good, Raymond... thanks for the helpful information.

Doug Miannay