Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Orbx's TrueEarth scenery, WILL be the nail in the coffin for FSX/P3D

For aerial-based scenery...low altitude moving plane capture, or sat based capture, When Orbx starts banging out their TrueEarth series,  Laminar Research is going to sell a you-know-what load of current XP copies...

TrueEarth driven by P3D or FSX, LOOKS (their Netherlands Alpha) like hand-crafted Land-class based, in color pallet, that still no matter what, and even with post-processing, still looks like a living cartoon.  When I saw the U.K. XP-based TrueEarth teaser on the Orbx site...my jaw dropped BELOW the computer desk top.

Real life...was there before my eyes...and there was the best road way and highway depictions I have ever seen to date.  They must be tweaking that as well...or however they are doing it....totally believable, and of course, you could see that they had Shadows enabled for the train cars casting along the tracks.  They are going to make a killing on this new tech. A killing....and I am going to be first in line, like it was an Apple Iphone release day...LOLOLOL!

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 3

At least Ses is right in the purchase department for me.  I only buy stuffs for XP11 these days.  ORBX in P3D has reached the point of good enough and also enough. XP11 on the other hands is new market, plus I don't have to deal with the annoying micro stutters.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Glad you like the England and Barton airport scenery Mitch :)

5 years is quite a long time and we'll have to see where it goes. Whilst it seems to be true that X-Plane is seeing a surge of new users and developers recently, the P3D/FSX userbase is still going strong and I think will continue to do so for years to come. 

We also have no idea what DTG will do with their platform, and were AF2 will be. It's a pretty exciting time for flight sims anyway

• Like 3

For instance me, one of the most stable simmers in the World, have just gone back to P3Dv4 !

Enjoying the March update of the FSlabs A320 more than everything...

Instead of expecting the goodies to go all towards X-Plane's terrain, I wish I can find a good scenery for LPPT and other Portuguese airports for P3Dv4, while I'm more than satisfied with ORBX FTX Global...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

45 minutes ago, awreaper said:

Lets check back in 5 years and see if your prediction comes true.

Alright..fair enough! :)

Until LR fixes the ground handling and some other aerodynamic issues, it'll continue to be off-putting to P3D users.

If it were just about graphics, XP11 already beats P3D by a mile with Ortho4XP.

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Glad you like the England and Barton airport scenery Mitch :)

5 years is quite a long time and we'll have to see where it goes. Whilst it seems to be true that X-Plane is seeing a surge of new users and developers recently, the P3D/FSX userbase is still going strong and I think will continue to do so for years to come. 

We also have no idea what DTG will do with their platform, and were AF2 will be. It's a pretty exciting time for flight sims anyway

Oh sure, Tony, fair enough...but, still saying, that if true-to-life is what is the highest rung on your ladder in simulation scenery depiction...then what I saw on that XP UK teaser vid...IS, the Holy Grail!  Wow...some of those scenes coming onto final...wow...no words...upon release...SOLD!

Why do we need all of these "predictions" by zealots of one platform or other? If you love XP11, cool, knock yourself out, but these predictions of doom for one platform or other like the title of this thread serve no purpose and go nowhere.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5

David Porrett

18 minutes ago, jcomm said:

For instance me, one of the most stable simmers in the World, have just gone back to P3Dv4 !

Enjoying the March update of the FSlabs A320 more than everything...

Instead of expecting the goodies to go all towards X-Plane's terrain, I wish I can find a good scenery for LPPT and other Portuguese airports for P3Dv4, while I'm more than satisfied with ORBX FTX Global...

Jcomm, I'm not saying, or hope people don't think that I am saying, that P3D doesn't still have a following, but it is night and day, their TrueEarth tech, as being run through the MS-based graphics engine, and then the XP.  The animation, the colors...so important. For people that want to run with the TrueEarth (and I imagine that those that do, are after veritus scenery, and not land-class, or color pallets that compliment land-class based scenery.)  Someone should put (I don't have the video skill(s)) both TrueEarth   P3D driven Netherlands and XP drive U.K in a half-frame alongside each other...and I would love to read the (if you can get them), non-partisan comments on what the viewer thinks shows a more life-like representation of this new TrueEarth production. That would be interesting.

The nail in the coffin...I still believe, will be in those that want real-life depiction, want and would install aerial photo driven content, and would seek out the aforementioned over land-classed, or FSX/P3D's pastel color pallets.  Just a personl opinion in play. The future will tell, if I was way off base...

Edited by Sesquashtoo

5 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Why do we need all of these "predictions" by zealots of one platform or other? If you love XP11, cool, knock yourself out, but these predictions of doom for one platform or other like the title of this thread serve no purpose and go nowhere.

Trends...and what we think will happen as new scenery tech arrives.  Trends...and personal opinions. :)

22 minutes ago, bonchie said:

Until LR fixes the ground handling and some other aerodynamic issues, it'll continue to be off-putting to P3D users.

If it were just about graphics, XP11 already beats P3D by a mile with Ortho4XP.

Yes..I'm typing about that exactly...that the XP engine compliments and brings out all the best of Orbx's new scenery project.  FSX/P3D in my opinion, shows its age and acts like a visual filter to TrueEarth.  Each to their own, of course!  My $$$ will be purchasing this series for XP.  It looks like the real deal...truly. Running that Orbx U.K teaser vid...I feel that I'm there...  With the Netherlands, running under FSX/P3D.x,  I feel I'm looking at flight simulator scenery. My brain is not fooled, nor convinced.

Edited by Sesquashtoo

9 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yes..I'm typing about that exactly...that the XP engine compliments and brings out all the best of Orbx's new scenery project.  FSX/P3D in my opinion, shows its age and acts like a visual filter to TrueEarth.  Each to their own, of course!  My $$$ will be purchasing this series for XP.  It looks like the real deal...truly. Running that Orbx U.K teaser vid...I feel that I'm there...  With the Netherlands, running under FSX/P3D.x,  I feel I'm looking at flight simulator scenery. My brain is not fooled, nor convinced.

How bout putting some of that $$$ to your favorite soapbox, AVSIM. 

5 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

How bout putting some of that $$$ to your favorite soapbox, AVSIM. 

Stepped on some toes, did I? :)

Edited by Sesquashtoo
typo