Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Orbx's TrueEarth scenery, WILL be the nail in the coffin for FSX/P3D

Just now, Henry Street said:

Money talks and BS walks.

Comment isn't relevant to the discussion.  Remember, when you point the finger at someone, the thumb points back on the back stroke. lol.

Pick the time frame and pick the amount, I will bet you the XP user base will not exceed the P3D user base. 

2 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

Pick the time frame and pick the amount, I will bet you the XP user base will not exceed the P3D user base. 

Not saying that it will eclipse...I'm saying that for that type of scenery....XP has shown its superiority.  That's what I'm saying.  It will climb in adoption, much faster with TrueEarth in play, than what was status quo.  I think this tech is a pivotal point for displaying that the type of graphics engine is now, more than ever, a decision-dictating adoption by a user. Before this TrueEarth...not so much. A lot of persons did not want to mess around with Ortho4XP, and obviously, Orbx has access to better base content...and it clearly shows. P3D/FSX (of course in my personal opinion) does not do TrueEarth any compliment, nor justice.  It wasn't designed for such scenery.

As far as whether one stays with FSX/P3D and future Orbx content...or picks up for the first time XP, or already having it, will now send more $$$'s XP's way...will be seen. My money is on XP.  That money will be going to all TrueEarth content, Henry.

Please keep the discussion civil guys.

Maybe for the first time in the history of Avsim, a "vs" thread doesn't end up locked :)

• Like 2

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Bold statements should be backed up with bold action. I'm out @tonywob

Edited by Henry Street

4 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Please keep the discussion civil guys.

Maybe for the first time in the history of Avsim, a "vs" thread doesn't end up locked :)

Right, civil as always. No chest thumping needed. Just sayin' what's on my mind. :)  

Cheers,

The last thing we need is a Flight Sim monopoly.  Keep 'em all alive and well, working to outdo each other.  We, as users, reap the benefits -  trickle-down though they may.

22 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Yawn. Not even worth making any popcorn.

That made me laugh.

What will get many to change is $$. I spent thousands on FSX to come to Xplane i had to remove it all, I am not going to spend money on a dead horse, not that FSX is dead, but how much more with they spend before they realise it must end, than where has all the money gone. I could have spent it on a better PC and got xplane, i could have gone to P3d, see teh dilema, we have to make a break someday, and teh longer we leave it the more it will cost and teh more we waste.

Edited by mjrhealth

6 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Comment isn't relevant to the discussion.  Remember, when you point the finger at someone, the thumb points back on the back stroke. lol.

Interesting statement from a person, who started this topic, with cheering and praising one platform at the behalf of other platforms... :mellow:

I can understand (and I partly agree) with your enthusiasm regarding X-Plane and TrueEarth - although, in my humble opinion, it looks very nice and convincing in P3D also! What I truly fail to understand, is why your thoughts can't co-exists without the need to simultaneously beret or putting down other sims in the process. It's (again, in my opinion) completely unnecessary for the point of your posts.

Sorry folks... I thought this needed some counter-balancing... 
I'm out, as well.

Happy Easter.

Edited by Anders Bermann
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

10 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

P3D/FSX .... wasn't designed for such scenery.

Of course it was, thats why the SDK covers such techniques!

As ever, hardware inadequacy, automated production tools, imagery availability and cost constraints have limited its commercial deployment until very recent years.

The first iteration of this type of product I think was way back when Horizon Generation X volume 2 or 3 became available in the UK, including a patch of PR around Snowdonia which was hand annotated with autogen :)

EDIT: Earth Simulations  certainly built on this in future years, with their ill fated early attempt called autogenesis. That actually was ground breaking and beautiful, including photoreal, colour corrected, full autogen, and seasons, as well as completely reconstructed traffic for the uk. (it even had police cars with flashing blue lights)

The problem was such scenery was the bleeding edge of technology then, not just the cutting edge, and it proved uneconomic at the time :(

The price point offered by OrbX (for P3D and XP) should ensure a huge success :) All credit to them, but theyre not the first to do it, just the first to do it successfully...and thats a huge achievement in itself considering the costs (time/resources) involved.

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Like 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Not just about the visuals though Mitch .....

As someone who flies 70% XP11 (and whose jaw also dropped at the XP11 True Earth demo), it's XP11's truly awful ground handling representation (and insane aircraft brake modelling)*, that brings me back to P3Dv4, for the remaining "30%". :cool:

*and IMHO, both seem to be getting worse not better.

Top notch visuals are a huge part of the immersion, but the fun wears out when you're squirrelling and wavering all over a runway in your shiny aircraft, because you dared to even look at the toe breaks.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Coming to the defense of P3D/FSX here (:laugh:). It's been possible for a long time to create Ortho4XP/W2XP style scenery in this sim using various tools that are out there. It's just for some reason, it was never a popular option like it is under X-Plane. Despite common misconception, P3D can handle large amounts of autogen efficiently as long as it is the simple rectangular size. (FSX could also, but of course it had the 32-bit VAS limit)

What ORBX have done for the Netherlands is to generate large city areas with irregular shaped autogen (not rectangular) which adds a lot of realism and is something we're already very used to on X-Plane. So you could think of it like some of the tech we're used to from X-Plane is now being used in P3D, so for that platform it's a pretty big thing.

Of course, there are platform limitations, e.g. It won't have the roads and moving traffic, night lighting etc..but I think it's a great move forward for both platforms

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

FSX/P3D in my opinion, shows its age  

X-Plane is as old as MSFS. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11