Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Orbx's TrueEarth scenery, WILL be the nail in the coffin for FSX/P3D

I gave up a long time ago saying which sim is best. There is no definitive answer on that, everyone has their own opinions and ALL sims have there good and less good sides and we should respect that. Let's just rejoice in the choice we have these days. I am just happy as an X-Plane user we are getting more choice and better products for the sim.

By the way Chocolate smoothies are way better than Strawberry smoothies ;-)

• Like 1

P3D Will still be around in 30 years they don`t need our money to survive, I like flying in winter and spring it feels more real with the outside world.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

For further reading, here's a closely related topic I started a few weeks ago on the ORBX forum.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/151196-is-prepar3d-dying

Different from the present OP, I decided to put a rather critial view on my own preferred simulator, though. 

Kind regards , Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

6 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Interesting statement from a person, who started this topic, with cheering and praising one platform at the behalf of other platforms... :mellow:

I can understand (and I partly agree) with your enthusiasm regarding X-Plane and TrueEarth - although, in my humble opinion, it looks very nice and convincing in P3D also! What I truly fail to understand, is why your thoughts can't co-exists without the need to simultaneously beret or putting down other sims in the process. It's (again, in my opinion) completely unnecessary for the point of your posts.

Sorry folks... I thought this needed some counter-balancing... 
I'm out, as well.

Happy Easter.

Cheering and praising? LOLOLOL!!!   I said that TrueEarth looks better and more realistic within XP's engine, rather than P3D.  My thread, my opinion within it. Sorry folks...I thought the above post needed some counter-balancing.  I'm out as well, LOLOLOL! Beret? Put down?  I singularly stated that this could well be the 'nail in the coffin' for land-class purposed sims. It was a statement, devoid of bereft or emotion...or a---->put down. It was an observance on FSX and P3D's technical merit, to achieve a real-world veritus, that **IN MY OPINION**, it does not do. No cheerleaders, that I saw in the post.

Ok...as you and Henry love the phrase, and so full of melodrama... "I'm out as well, or I'm outta here...".  Or...I'm taking my marbles and going home.., or I disagree with the O.P. and my way of seeing things, is the better interpretation. Gawd! People need to relax....

2 hours ago, pmb said:

X-Plane is as old as MSFS. 

Kind regards, Michael

Age, as in not being able to render due to its particular graphics engine, the full fidelity of the new TrueEarth, and not its chronological age, Michael :)  Showing its age, as the expression....not the literal.

Edited by Sesquashtoo
wording

2 hours ago, JYW said:

Not just about the visuals though Mitch .....

As someone who flies 70% XP11 (and whose jaw also dropped at the XP11 True Earth demo), it's XP11's truly awful ground handling representation (and insane aircraft brake modelling)*, that brings me back to P3Dv4, for the remaining "30%". :cool:

*and IMHO, both seem to be getting worse not better.

Top notch visuals are a huge part of the immersion, but the fun wears out when you're squirrelling and wavering all over a runway in your shiny aircraft, because you dared to even look at the toe breaks.

Hi JYW, my thread was only focusing on how either sim handles the new TrueEarth scenery and its life-like rendering of such. It was not a total broad base VS, VS.  For those like myself, that require as paramount, real life depiction, that can easily fool the mind, that you are indeed flying over that landscape...will be 'the nail in the coffin' for at least, myself. I will not be purchasing TrueEarth Series, for FSX/P3D. It renders pastel and cartoonish, and diminishes the intent of the tech. The reader may not agree..and that is fine. But for my own self...TrueEarth and from then, thereon...FSX/P3D will no longer be entertained, when looking at future titles in the series. For myself again, ...it **WAS** the nail to shut the lid, tight. XP handles hand's down, sat and aerial photo, much, much better, much more realistic screen output.  The reader's opinion, can happily vary.  

Cheers,

Mitch

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Of course it was, thats why the SDK covers such techniques!

As ever, hardware inadequacy, automated production tools, imagery availability and cost constraints have limited its commercial deployment until very recent years.

The first iteration of this type of product I think was way back when Horizon Generation X volume 2 or 3 became available in the UK, including a patch of PR around Snowdonia which was hand annotated with autogen :)

EDIT: Earth Simulations  certainly built on this in future years, with their ill fated early attempt called autogenesis. That actually was ground breaking and beautiful, including photoreal, colour corrected, full autogen, and seasons, as well as completely reconstructed traffic for the uk. (it even had police cars with flashing blue lights)

The problem was such scenery was the bleeding edge of technology then, not just the cutting edge, and it proved uneconomic at the time :(

The price point offered by OrbX (for P3D and XP) should ensure a huge success :) All credit to them, but theyre not the first to do it, just the first to do it successfully...and thats a huge achievement in itself considering the costs (time/resources) involved.

If it is indeed so as per the SDK, Kevin, even with Orbx's Netherlands, it looks like a screen print upon the land...a picture upon a t-shirt.  The XP U.K. version....it IS the land...it has a 3D depth to it...even though it is not per se.  Of course, everyone that posts, is giving their view, through the 'personal 'lense, as I equally am. I started a thread that gave as the O.P, my view on how I see it. Everybody can of course comment, or start their own thread to develop their viewpoint on Orbx's TrueEarth.  A totally open free-for-all forum....or as Henry likes to play it...they can step up on their Soapbox, or was that a nectarine box...I can't remember...LOLOLOL!

30 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Age, as in not being able to render due to its particular graphics engine, the full fidelity of the new TrueEarth, and not its chronological age.  Showing its age, as the expression....not the literal.

I only recall John Venema himself stating TrueEarth will show "the same fidelity over all available platforms". 

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/152274-orbx-england-trueearth-and-egcb-barton-for-x-plane-11-teaser-trailer-video/ (#13)

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

13 hours ago, DavidP said:

Why do we need all of these "predictions" by zealots of one platform or other? If you love XP11, cool, knock yourself out, but these predictions of doom for one platform or other like the title of this thread serve no purpose and go nowhere.

Conjecture, is placing an idea, personal thought, or leaning, out into the market square.  It then invites personal viewpoints. If someone is not interested in the subject header of the post, they certainly don't have to pull the thread up. For some, the topic does interest them, and they delve deeper..  That's how I feel an open forum works. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Cheers

Edited by Sesquashtoo

"Orbx's TrueEarth scenery, WILL be the nail in the coffin for FSX/P3D"

Nothing could be further from reality. Stop dreaming!

I have not used XP 11 in so long that I don't even know where the icon is. :biggrin:

Get back to me when XP 11 aircraft have better ground handling, native seasons, realistic dynamic weather depiction, AI traffic, and a better native atc. IMHO the best features in XP 11 are the scenery and night lighting depiction and it requires at least an 8gig card to look good. Otherwise the textures look blurry.

I hate it when ludicrous threads are started, just to stir up debate.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

"Orbx's TrueEarth scenery, WILL be the nail in the coffin for FSX/P3D"

Nothing could be further from reality. Stop dreaming!

I have not used XP 11 in so long that I don't even know where the icon is. :biggrin:

Get back to me when XP 11 aircraft have better ground handling, native seasons, realistic dynamic weather depiction, AI traffic, and a better native atc. IMHO the best features in XP 11 are the scenery and night lighting depiction and it requires at least an 8gig card to look good. Otherwise the textures look blurry.

Again, I will state, this thread was ONLY about one graphic's engine rendering of the Orbx TrueEarth, over another.  This post clearly is not claiming all in...one over the other, feature for feature, sim wide.

Folks, let's cut bait.  The thread was interesting, in the comments garnered, but best to move on...

P3D is great

XP is great.

They're all great.....

Cheers,

Office closed....;)

Edited by Sesquashtoo

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

... Gawd! ...

Shameful, really, how the most egregious attention hounds and purveyors of drama on this site contribute so little $$$ toward the upkeep of their spotlight and stage. Ah well, "Talk is cheap."

Edited by Henry Street

28 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Jose nails it, I would love to transition to Xplane because it is really looking great.

But there is too much missing at this point that I need in a simulator, The weather system is poor, Vatsim client is ancient, ATC is poor, Ai is miles behind the packages available for P3D, Only a handful of really great aircraft addons available, the list of missing or poorly implemented features is massive.

P3D may not look as good but it has a much more complete ecosystem available.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

Shameful, really, how the most egregious attention hounds and purveyors of drama on this site contribute so little $$$ toward the upkeep of their spotlight and stage. Ah well, "Talk is cheap."

Oh Christ, get a life, Henry....a personality trait, that needs desperately to get the 'last jab in'?... Ok...you feel better?  Good...glad we could help you out.