Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Flat Earther Gets Launched

Now for some insane and silly stuff:

Man launches himself in self-made rocket to prove flat earth theory...

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/man-launches-himself-in-self-made-rocket-to-prove-flat-earth-theory/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What happens when Mad Mike Hughes comes back down and tells us all the world is flat? That could be a bigger debate than P3D versus xPlane.

1 hour ago, kowen said:

What happens when Mad Mike Hughes comes back down and tells us all the world is flat? That could be a bigger debate than P3D versus xPlane.

At 1900 feet he is not going to find out much, other than his head is somewhat flattened by having a hard landing.  Heck, he did not even make it into the flight levels so he did not have to file IFR.  I am glad his rocket was unhurt.  Seriously, on a few flights where I have cruised over 40,000 feet in real life I could detect the faint curvature of the Eartth.  Even the Golden Gate bridge when it was built had to be adjusted to compensate for the curvature of the earth.

John

And Flat Earthers from 'All Around The Globe' came to watch :laugh:

But I do give the guy credit, he has built a steam powered rocket, launched himself to almost 2000', landed and survived it, that in itself is impressive. Steam is extremely dangerous to work with.

• Like 2

Matthew Kane

25 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

And Flat Earthers from 'All Around The Globe' came to watch :laugh:

But I do give the guy credit, he has built a steam powered rocket, launched himself to almost 2000', landed and survived it, that in itself is impressive. Steam is extremely dangerous to work with.

Estes used to make steam powered model rockets that could soar upwards to 2000 feet.  But they never really sold in great numbers.  I used to fly their model rockets a lot when I was a boy, using their solid rocket engines which would often loft my rocket to the point where I could only find it by the vapor trail the engine produced at burnout.  I flew several dozen flights with it until my rocket was lost one day, even did a demo flight for my grammar school.  The particles and vapor from the rocket were enough to seed the low overcast clouds above my school and cause rain to fall.  At my high school I flew it once and the noise from liftoff was enough to stop a tennis game going on in its tracks.  Their coach came out to ask me not to launch again because the noise, even heard a quarter mile away, was so distracting.

John