Sign in to follow this  
Kronovan

Need help getting CYVR Back?

Hello and help. I recently applied a fan-made patch to realign and correct coastal seaports in British Columbia. But now when I select Vancouver International (CYVR) as my starting airport, my aircraft is splashed down in the adjacent seaplane port on the Fraser River - quite a realignment! lol The seaplane port, despite using the same YVR identifier is a separate airport selection in the FSX drop-down.

I'm hoping someone here can give me the name of the config file I should open and some indication as to what the correct entries should read like. My version of FSX is the Steam edition, so in the worst case scenario I could probably just reinstall. I'm a bit concerned though that it might reset some of the DLC content I have installed and my personal config settings. I'm also wondered about the possibility of relocating such a config file and then letting Steam re-freshen it after doing a file verify? If it helps, my DLC is; FS Global 2010, HD Airport Graphics, Natural Trees Environment X, Cargo Crew Add-on, Discover Europe, Discover Arabia and the Piper Aztec Add-on.

Any help with keeping my land aircraft out of the drink, would be much appreciated.

I would try Verifying your Steam cache first.

To verify your game files please do the following:

1. Load the Steam platform and log into your account
2. Click the Library tab in the menu at the top of the screen
3. Click the List View from the view options on the top right of the screen
4. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to bring up a popup menu
5. Click on Properties from the popup menu to bring up another popup box
6. Click on Local files from the popup box menu
7. Click on Verify integrity of game cache from the Local file options
8. Wait for the progress bar to finish verifying your files. Additional files may download
9. Restart Steam
10. Restart Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

What happens when you disable the .bgl in the patch, back to normal?  If that is the case then you can email the creator of the patch and ask to update it based on your experience.

• Like 1

\Robert Hamlich/

OK cool, so your thinking is that a Steam verify will detect that an airport location file has been changed and reinstall the original. I do know the Steam vefify procedure well,  but many thanks just the same for taking the time to detail the steps.

I'm not sure what a BGL file is? I'm guessing that's some sort or configuration file type for FSX. Does the airport locations file have such a file extension?

Perhaps start somewhere else. Fly there.  Land and park. Then save the flight so that you can load it later.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well I ran a verify and Steam reported that all files were correct. FSX did however reinstall a few of the "first time setup" files the next time it ran. Perhaps a bit weird, but I did uninstall a number of other games on the same PC recently, so maybe one of those uninstalls removed some shared file(s)

I opened the patch archive (named bc_coastal_floatplane_bases.zip) and realized that it's a scenery patch that adds missing seaplane ports to British Columbia, Canada. It has a folder that's full of the BGL files that Hussar mentioned earlier, so I can see now that those BGLs are some airport object, or detail files.

I checked more into my problem and discovered that whenever I access the "Select Airport" menu and select Vancouver Intl (CYVR) in the search list, the moment I click OK Vancouver Seaplane (CAM9) is incorrectly selected instead. However, if I select Vancouver Seaplane, it correctly remains selected.  Now something perhaps interesting, is that if I select one of the other default FSX airports that's equally close to one of the patches' new Seaplane airports -i.e. Pitt Meadows (CYPK) near Pitt Meadows Seaplane (CAJ8)- the default airport (CYPK) remains correctly selected. So the incorrect airport selection appears to be only happening for CYVR.

Edited by Kronovan

While searching I found a "Canadian Seaports" addon from the Flyaway Site.  The description stated that Ultimate terrain was needed for the addon to work correctly.  Is this the same patch/addon you are using?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Yes Flyaway Sims addon is indeed what I have installed. Somehow I missed this line of text in the readme file:

"You must have Ultimate Terrain Canada and a SRTM mesh installed for these sceneries to work properly."

Doh! I only have FS Global 2010 and HD Airports installed, so I'm guessing that doesn't satisfy those requirements. Darn, I really want those seaports (do a lot of bush piloting in BC with the Beaver), but I also want to keep all my FSX purchases under Steam.

I removed all 102 of the BGL files from my FSX addon secenery folder and everything works fine now. Many thanks to everyone for the replies. Oh well, at least I learned today what FSX  BGL files are.

Edited by Kronovan

On 4/3/2018 at 8:36 AM, charliearon said:

While searching I found a "Canadian Seaports" addon from the Flyaway Site.  The description stated that Ultimate terrain was needed for the addon to work correctly.  Is this the same patch/addon you are using?

Yes Flyaway Sims addon is indeed what I have installed. Somehow I missed this line of text in the readme file:

"You must have Ultimate Terrain Canada and a SRTM mesh installed for these sceneries to work properly."

Doh! I only have FS Global 2010 and HD Airports installed, so I'm guessing that doesn't satisfy those requirements. Darn, I really want those seaports (do a lot of bush piloting in BC the Beaver), but I also want to keep all my FSX purchases under Steam.

I removed all 102 of the BGL files from my FSX addon secenery folder and everything works fine now. Many thanks to everyone for the replies. Oh well, at least I learned today what FSX  BGL files are today.

I've  necro'd this thread, because despite having Ultimate Terrain Canada v2.0 installed now, I'm still encountering the same problem when selecting CYVR Vancouver International - CAM9 Vancouver Seaplane get's selected instead. If I move the AFX_CAM9.BGL file out of the Addon\Scenery folder, I can successfully select CYVR. My whole reason to get Ultimate Terrain was so I could have BC seaplane bases for bush piloting; just bought the Carenado Cessna CU206 to help the experience & I'm lovin it! Not having CAM9 installed is going to be a no go for my purposes, as it's going to be a departure and destination for a number of my flights.

If any of the FS gurus here can point me to a possible cause of this, it'd be much appreciated.

Edited by Kronovan