Sign in to follow this  
tamba765

Best video card setup for P3Dv4?

I've been doing a lot of reading about what the best video card setup for P3Dv4 is. At this point I'm totally confused, and don't really know what I should do. Nobody seems to agree on anything. There's a lot of talk about the 2000 series cards from Nvidia, but I've seen nothing official about a release, only speculation. You can't even get a 1080ti from Nvidia because they're always out of stock. I'm having a new flight simulator computer built in June, but I still don't know what to do about a video card setup. Is a 1080ti SLI the best way to go, or is a Titan better, or maybe something else?  I don't mind spending the bucks, if I can get a lot of horsepower. I'd appreciate any suggestions from people who are using high end configurations, as to what they feel is best. I have a 42" 4K Dell monitor, and a whole lot of high end addons and scenery. I'd like to be able to use higher settings, and dynamic lighting without the frame rates going into the single digits. I'm currently using a GTX970 and it really struggles at times.  Thanks.

Pete Locascio

Pete Locascio

Guest JustanotherPilot

I went from the GTX970 to the GTX1060 and found a massive jump in performance while meeting all my needs for med-high settings in P3Dv4, flying airliners into detailed airports with ORBX scenery. From reading through the posts here any GTX 10 series from the 1060 onwards seem to give the necessary performance. Again, it depends on your budget, but price doesn't necessarily mean better. Here's a good site to compare performance/price

http://gpuboss.com/

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the 1080ti, if I can find one. If the 2000 series becomes available, I'll probably go for that if it seems like it performs better.

The link you posted doesn't seem to work, but I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Pete Locascio

I’m in the market too but can’t afford the 1080. Eyeing the 1070 since it has 8 gig

Orman

The standard (and excellent) advice regarding this topic is the same for CPUs... the very best you can afford!

That said, I wouldn't entertain anything less than a 1070, especially given what LM has in store down the road.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

3 hours ago, okupton said:

I’m in the market too but can’t afford the 1080. Eyeing the 1070 since it has 8 gig

I've always read that the 1070 is the nest bang for the buck.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Agreed that 1070 is best bang for buck. I had one. With FSLabs a320, AS weather, flightbeam type scenery and a 4K monitor, I found I had to move to 1080Ti to keep things smooth. Then  when P3D 4.1 came out, Dynamic Lighting put me back in single digit fps with a 6700K overclocked rig. I have since downgraded back to a 1080 monitor.

So in summary - 1080Ti is an absolute must for 4K but still may not be enough with Dynamic Lighting!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

im wondering if an ASUS STRIX RX580 OC with 8gb ram will compare to the 1070 ???  i can get this card for a good price now and was wondering if it will do ok ,,

Image removed as image is no longer available.

The rumour is that the next GPU`s will now be 1170 / 1180 and not 2000, not expect to be announced officially until June available ?.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

9 hours ago, rtodepart said:

im wondering if an ASUS STRIX RX580 OC with 8gb ram will compare to the 1070 ???  i can get this card for a good price now and was wondering if it will do ok ,,

The RX580 gives similar performance to the 1060 but it's not as good as a 1070, particularly for resolutions above 1920x1080. See: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_rx_580_strix_review,38.html for a comparison. Further down the line you'd probably wish that you'd opted for the 1070 (or, better still, the 1070 Ti for not much more if you shop around).

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 4/3/2018 at 2:06 AM, Jetset408 said:

Agreed that 1070 is best bang for buck. I had one. With FSLabs a320, AS weather, flightbeam type scenery and a 4K monitor, I found I had to move to 1080Ti to keep things smooth. Then  when P3D 4.1 came out, Dynamic Lighting put me back in single digit fps with a 6700K overclocked rig. I have since downgraded back to a 1080 monitor.

So in summary - 1080Ti is an absolute must for 4K but still may not be enough with Dynamic Lighting!

I had to do the same thing. I also have a 1080ti and 6700k overclocked to 4.7 but i went with a 2k monitor and now my sim is super smooth with DL and all high end scenery all at mid level settings. I can even fly the FSL A320 which has been hangered for awhile.

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png