Sign in to follow this  
Mike Hawkeye Hawkins

Crashing mid-air and on the ground

Would you believe that I have been playing this game for about 21 years, now, and have only just now jumped into the third party software for ATC? I've always used the built in ATC until now.

So, I've been using Radar Contact for about a week or so, now. LOVE the program. There is a learning curve to it, though, and I'm enjoying that part of it.

Here is one problem I've been having so far, though, and it's happened more than once. I've been taxiing on the tarmac, and out of nowhere, I'll get a "collision" with absolutely nothing. Last night, I was on final approach to St. Louis, and it happened again, mid-air.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a setting that I'm overlooking that is making this happen? It's more than a little frustrating. I'd say it could be something other than Radar Contact, but it only seems to happen to me when I'm running Radar Contact.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mike,

Ai are inherently stupid and won’t try to avoid you when taxiing. I tend to give them right of way for my own sanity. That’s not something RC has any control over, it’s a problem in FSX/P3D. If you’re talking about a collision with an invisible object then just turn off that option in the sim.

Regarding the airborne collision that is rare since RC attempts to speed up Ai ahead of you and slow down those behind. But it’s a constant battle as the sim attempts to retake control. I have seen Ai zoom past me at warp speed as RC and the sim battle for control. But actual airborne collisions are rare.

The only option available to you is to reduce the Ai %. What do you have it set to?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Mike,

Ai are inherently stupid and won’t try to avoid you when taxiing. I tend to give them right of way for my own sanity. That’s not something RC has any control over, it’s a problem in FSX/P3D. If you’re talking about a collision with an invisible object then just turn off that option in the sim.

Regarding the airborne collision that is rare since RC attempts to speed up Ai ahead of you and slow down those behind. But it’s a constant battle as the sim attempts to retake control. I have seen Ai zoom past me at warp speed as RC and the sim battle for control. But actual airborne collisions are rare.

The only option available to you is to reduce the Ai %. What do you have it set to?

Thanks for your response. Without looking at the moment, I think I have my AI set up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% for both airliners and general aviation. Too much? Too little?

I have 80% set but that does not include GA. Busy airports will always heighten the possibility of a conflict. There are no settings in RC to change. Just make a small adjustment to Ai and see how it pans out.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have 80% set but that does not include GA. Busy airports will always heighten the possibility of a conflict. There are no settings in RC to change. Just make a small adjustment to Ai and see how it pans out.

I kinda like the AI, although I probably have a little too much going on in the way of General Aviation, as I usually fly the bigger steel, and I do get irritated when I'm waiting in line behind 5 Cessnas at an international airport.

I did like you said, though, and I just turned off the collision setting. Probably the best way to handle this.

Mike,

FSUIPC Traffic Zapper can be useful if you don't like queues. :biggrin:

In respect of GA you will probably catch them up on finals. Try deselecting GA and see how you get on. RC works best with aircraft with similar airborne speeds.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Investigate ai smooth and ai separation which I can't find at the moment. These can be set to increase space between ai in the landing zone so queued aircraft can be sandwhiched between arrivals in approach. This can reduce the time and number of aircraft in the queue. They include registration for FSUIPC. There is a post somewhere about combining them. aismooth v1.2 works with both FSX and FS9, not sure about ai separation.

Edited by ronzie