Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Xplane and my simming future

I really don’t think the weather looks so bad. I use default wx. You see fronts, hardly ever weather shifts. You can actually fly into weather. Overcast looks like overcast. The only thing that’s not so good is variable wind. It’s way to aggressive and not like in real life where it is more gradual.

3 hours ago, costamesa said:

Is it fixed? No. So, people will keep on talking. people paid money for this.

Not all the problems of xenviro are related to LR. No option for custom or historical weather or no option for a flight plan. A weather software without these options are like a flight simulation with no "sufficient" weather model. Come on you dont even get to see destination airport weather data until you get close enough.

You can get X-Plane to download real world weather then just call up the metar of your destination and that's it. That is usually quite accurate, I use http://en.allmetsat.com. People know the weather is not perfect when they purchase I would hope. Buying something these days especially for flight simulation without reading reviews etc is just asking to get burned. There are enough add-ons that are not worth a dime that sell for a hefty price. The best thing I can say to people who want a 'perfect' weather system in their flight sim is go buy P3D and Active Sky, X-Plane at the moment is not for you.

12 hours ago, ErichB said:

It cannot be taken seriously as a sim for airliner flying if the weather environment cannot be modelled and represented correctly

True, but keep in mind that most sims if not all, just don't do well in this arena, you have to purchase an addon.

For me, xEnviro meets my needs and eventually with the latest 1.08 update coming soon, should look/handle weather even better.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

9 hours ago, J van E said:

It just doesn't make sense to me to create a flight sim without "the very environment in which an aircraft operates"

...AFAIK, the other sim, does not even have one. These comments about XP no having a decent weather system just don't make sense, when you are flying one that does not even even include one out of the box...Go figure!

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

5 hours ago, jcomm said:

Flight and Systems modelling

Jose, please tell me which sim has perfect flight and systems modeling, XP, P3D, FSX (don't know about the other ones out there) rely on third party intervention and most of us just don't fly stock aircraft for the same reason.

• Like 1

People please, don't hold you breath if you think that some day XP will have the perfect platform with perfect flight dynamics, perfect systems modeling with perfect weather modeling, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Austin is one smart guy but he is not perfect.  XP is a great platform in which third party developers can contribute with their magic, just to mention a few:IXEG, JRollon, Leading Edge, xEnviro, SkyMaxx, etc.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 1

Use the Noaa plugin, plus a freeware cloud mod. Weather looks pretty good.

default p3d weather is still the same as fsx 2006. Even with active sky, it’s still sprite based 2d. Turn your head and watch those clouds spin. Far from perfect.

im glad lr is focusing on vr, by the way. They’re doing a great job there.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

The weather is very frustrating in XP, especially as a real world pilot who would like to train specific IFR approach situations and have the experience be very realistic.

9 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Jose, please tell me which sim has perfect flight and systems modeling, XP, P3D, FSX (don't know about the other ones out there) rely on third party intervention and most of us just don't fly stock aircraft for the same reason.

Which woman is perfect ?  Mine :-)

It's a combination of factors as we all feel, each one in it's own way because we place different expectations in aspects of a flightsim that are important for us.

X-Plane, default, is a rather complete / complex flight simulator, no doubt about it, and can serve even the purpose of being used for IFR practice, just as good as professional tools, but simmers mostly want their aircraft modelled to exhaustion, and this or that aspects of the simulation, being it AI, Weather, Scenery, ATC... as perfect as it is possible.

Honestly I think X-plane offers by default, and in a much more cheaper way a lot of features that appeal to most users, this being the main reason why so many users from the MSFS-based platforms are visiting or even migrating into it. 

As big as X-Plane is, though, in all aspects, including the growing developers team, and even as most point out being there for many years now ( I remember starting to use it's demos by around 1996 maybe ) truth is it can't compare to the HUGE infrastructure that was once behind the development of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

BTW, another example of a very very promising platform that has been growing very well, but not at the eyes of us "desperate" simmers looking for alternatives, is AEFS2, with an even smaller team.

So, please Carlos, don't bash X-Plane ( ahahahah - just kidding ya hermano :-) )...

I like X-Plane 11 a lot, I even think I feel better playing it than P3Dv42 sometimes, but it's the "desperate" simmer in me, like the football addict always wanting miracles for the supported team, that make me complain endlessly :-)

As we say around here: "Quanto mais me bates, mais gosto de ti... "

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I don’t get it. I’m s real world pilot too. When I use the real wx download option it looks good enough. I can do plausible IFR approaches in the soup. I have had ASN on fsx. I don’t think it’s much better.

I also do not have much to complaint about the weather in XP. Currently I am using FSGRW, which allows dynamic or static weather scenarios. In VR the clouds look very good and do not turn around with your head like in P3D4.2 with ActiveSky. 

Of course it can improve, but some here make it sound like the weather system in XP is as bad as in AF2.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

12 hours ago, Glenn_C said:

You can get X-Plane to download real world weather then just call up the metar of your destination and that's it. That is usually quite accurate, I use http://en.allmetsat.com. People know the weather is not perfect when they purchase I would hope. Buying something these days especially for flight simulation without reading reviews etc is just asking to get burned. There are enough add-ons that are not worth a dime that sell for a hefty price. The best thing I can say to people who want a 'perfect' weather system in their flight sim is go buy P3D and Active Sky, X-Plane at the moment is not for you.

Please focus on the second paragraph of my reply. I am not totally happy with X-Plane weather but on the other hand I dont know much about the weather to be honest. What I am not happy about is xEnviro. Paying that much money to a weather software and then having to go to web to see the weather at your destination is I dont know what if not absurd. Not to mention historical or custom weather. And reviews? I did read them believe me and they all say it is "perfect".

Ahmet Can

21 hours ago, ErichB said:

It's a 'wow factor' visual experience sim on an extremely limited scale. which puts it way off my (and others) radar for further consideration.  

Have to agree. I mainly used AFS2 for the extremely good performance (it's really magic to fly with fps >100 constantly, no matter what: you really have to experience this to appreciate the difference it makes) and the photoreal scenery (which is far from perfect (rather empty) but a nice diversion from landclass scenery). But now that Orbx is releasing TrueEarth the only reason left to use AFS2 is performance... and there is a LOT more to simming than just performance. :happy:

1 hour ago, costamesa said:

I did read them believe me and they all say it is "perfect".

Presumably written by people who have no meteorological knowledge and who have never flown an aircraft before.  There's a huge surprise

The fundamental issue is not the 3rd party apps themselves - most of them do the best they can with what they have to work with.  LR has to provide more tools for developers to make weather functionality work properly for an airline based sim environment.  Weather experiences will never improve until that happens.

LM only did that in the last few years,  AS now provides a great experience coupled with RSF.

3 hours ago, J van E said:

(it's really magic to fly with fps >100 constantly, no matter what: you really have to experience this to appreciate the difference it makes) and the photoreal scenery (which is far from perfect (rather empty) but a nice diversion from landclass scenery).

And now ... think  about it ... where does that magical FPS come from :smile:?

My simple magic: there is no such thing as free beer .... You always have to pay one way or another. Even with our fastest GPUs you still have to decide between eye candy or FPS ... (to some degree ... and depending on your poreferences).

• Like 1