I would like to buy a new pc by the end of 2018 mainly for fsx my budget is about 2000 euros (around 2450 $)

I would like some advice on the components to assemble my new pc (I already have the monitor, keyboard and mouse) to be able to use all the graphic settings to the maximum with the addition of scenarios and airplanes like PMDG,ORBX ecc

in my current laptop I already have the following add-ons for which I would like to know if I can transfer them to the new PC as they are expensive and I would not buy them a second time

-REX TEXTURE 
-REX AIRPORTS 
-ORBX GLOBAL
- FS PASSENGER
-GSX
-PRO ATC
-AREOSOFT AIRBUS 
-PMDG 737 NGX
- PMDG 747 

another important question:

established that FSX is a 32-bit program that incurs the problem of virtual memory limited to 4gb how does one who has a high-performance computer to solve this problem?
many times I have read in multiple threads terms like "you can also have 16.32.64 gb of ram, the best video card etc but fsx being a 32-bit program will always have the limitation" but then how is the difference between playing it on my laptop and on a gaming computer?this because with the purchase of the new pc I would like to use the simulator with add on and high settings without having to run into the risk of crashing OOM

thanks for support

Eugenio 

11 minutes ago, Eugenio Lo Cicero said:

I would like some advice on the components to assemble my new pc (I already have the monitor, keyboard and mouse) to be able to use all the graphic settings to the maximum with the addition of scenarios and airplanes like PMDG,ORBX

What resolution monitor do you have? I'm not sure that there's anything even on the horizon that can run FSX with those add-ons at max settings in anything much above 1920x1080 and certainly not at 4k.

If the end of 2018 really is your goal, I'd say don't even think (or ask) about components until just before you intend to build. There are new processors and graphics cards due out later this year that are likely to be much more capable than what's currently available. RAM speeds will also most likely be much higher by then as well. Hopefully by the end of the year the current cryptocurrency issue will be gone and graphics cards will come back down to sensible prices.

Sadly, the OOM problem is what it is! I've never had an OOM issue in FSX but neither do I have any PMDG aircraft with complex airports (I do fly in ORBX regions, though). Buying a state-of-the-art system isn't going to guarantee that you won't still get OOMs. As you've correctly pointed out, FSX is a 32 bit program and will only ever be able to access a maximum of 4GB of memory - only moving to a 64 bit sim (P3D or FSW, for example) will overcome this problem. Personally, I like FSX and will keep it as my primary sim until it stops doing what I want it to.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

hello thanks for quickly answer

my monitor resolution is 1920 x 1080, I would like to buy the PC by the end of 2018 but I would already make a sort of list of components if I found any opportunity, my idea was to take one component a month leaving the video card last seen the current costs due to the bit coin

what I can not understand is how do people who have a great PC to run the simulator with scenarios and aircraft add on with graphics settings at most if the problem occurs on any PC?I thought about using a new simulator but I spent a lot of money on fsx to buy all these add on so I would just like to understand how to prevent and fix the OOM problem in order to run the simulator with good settings and add on

I give an example I now on my laptop I have the problem OOM on a certain flight if I had to buy a new PC I would have the exact same problem on the flight in question with the same settings and add on?

very thanks for help guys

For FSX, the fastest possible single-core performance is the most important performance criteria, which right now would be an overclocked 8700K around the 4.8-5.0 GHz range.  With FSX, GPU performance is secondary, and you can make due fine with a second-tier GPU like the 1070.  That said, running up the add-on and graphics complexity with the best add-ons (ORBX, PMDG etc) is going to challenge your VAS usage at the limits, and OOM issues are very likely to become an ever-present plague.  If you're willing to deal with these issues, then FSX will be a cheaper solution.  But what price do you put on your sanity?

I'd strongly consider moving to 64-bit P3D as part of the upgrade.  For P3D, fast (but not cutting-edge) CPU performance will suffice (quad core i5/i7 at ~4.5 GHz), and the capabilities of a modern GPU will be much more effectively leveraged.  For a 1080p monitor, a 1070Ti or 1080 will get the job done nicely...a 1080Ti even better.  A number of your add-ons can be installed in P3Dv4, and some will need to be repurchased or upgraded for P3Dv4 at some cost.  I have both 32-bit and 64-bit sims installed on a powerful flight sim rig, and I rarely touch the 32-bit FSX any more because of the constant VAS problems.  Nearly every 32-bit flight begins with a question mark as to whether it can be completed without an OOM crash.  64-bit definitively solves those issues once and for all.

In any event, consider the hardware and any additional software together as a complete system--and what that system will do in terms of performance *and* reliability.  A cheaper FSX solution that OOMs regularly on approach with a complex acft/scenery combination is unlikely to be a very satisfying result after spending a lot of money.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

For FSX, the fastest possible single-core performance is the most important performance criteria, which right now would be an overclocked 8700K around the 4.8-5.0 GHz range.  With FSX, GPU performance is secondary, and you can make due fine with a second-tier GPU like the 1070.  That said, running up the add-on and graphics complexity with the best add-ons (ORBX, PMDG etc) is going to challenge your VAS usage at the limits, and OOM issues are very likely to become an ever-present plague.  If you're willing to deal with these issues, then FSX will be a cheaper solution.  But what price do you put on your sanity?

I'd strongly consider moving to 64-bit P3D as part of the upgrade.  For P3D, fast (but not cutting-edge) CPU performance will suffice (quad core i5/i7 at ~4.5 GHz), and the capabilities of a modern GPU will be much more effectively leveraged.  For a 1080p monitor, a 1070Ti or 1080 will get the job done nicely...a 1080Ti even better.  A number of your add-ons can be installed in P3Dv4, and some will need to be repurchased or upgraded for P3Dv4 at some cost.  I have both 32-bit and 64-bit sims installed on a powerful flight sim rig, and I rarely touch the 32-bit FSX any more because of the constant VAS problems.  Nearly every 32-bit flight begins with a question mark as to whether it can be completed without an OOM crash.  64-bit definitively solves those issues once and for all.

In any event, consider the hardware and any additional software together as a complete system--and what that system will do in terms of performance *and* reliability.  A cheaper FSX solution that OOMs regularly on approach with a complex acft/scenery combination is unlikely to be a very satisfying result after spending a lot of money.

Regards

many thanks for the explanation so if i understand well some add on would also be compatible with p3d so I could transfer them like pro atc 

you are absolutely right that once I change my pc for the sake of my mental health I should also use a 64 sim lol :d if I can transfer most of the add ons and if I have to pay a difference then it's okay I thought I had to buy back the add-on at full price

Edited by Eugenio Lo Cicero

1 hour ago, Eugenio Lo Cicero said:

I thought I had to buy back the add-on at full price

Hi Eugenio - I'm not sure about all the add-ons on your list, but for sure you will need to repurchase the PMDG items for Prepar3D at full price.  However, it's a one time cost and you'll be rewarded with using amazing, study-level aircraft with no more OOMs.  Not having to worry about OOMs anymore is quite a relief.   Looking forward to seeing what you go with later this year.

Best regards,

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Eugenio;

Of the addons you listed, REX Texture Direct, ORBX FTX Global, GSX, and Pro-ATC/X work with P3Dv4 without need for an upgrade.  The two PMDG airplanes will require buying the separate P3D versions.  REX Worldwide Airports HD is reportedly getting close but still not released for P3Dv4 (no mention of an upgrade fee there), and FS Passengers has also not yet been released (FSP will require an upgrade fee).  The Aerosoft Airbuses have not been released for P3Dv4.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

51 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

Hi Eugenio - I'm not sure about all the add-ons on your list, but for sure you will need to repurchase the PMDG items for Prepar3D at full price.  However, it's a one time cost and you'll be rewarded with using amazing, study-level aircraft with no more OOMs.  Not having to worry about OOMs anymore is quite a relief.   Looking forward to seeing what you go with later this year.

Best regards,

Hello i saw some videos about Prepar3d and I must say that it is absolutely incredible and as said before it does not even require high technical specifications to run well, actually it seems to be no comparison with fsx without counting the non-existent OOM problem

38 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Eugenio;

Of the addons you listed, REX Texture Direct, ORBX FTX Global, GSX, and Pro-ATC/X work with P3Dv4 without need for an upgrade.  The two PMDG airplanes will require buying the separate P3D versions.  REX Worldwide Airports HD is reportedly getting close but still not released for P3Dv4 (no mention of an upgrade fee there), and FS Passengers has also not yet been released (FSP will require an upgrade fee).  The Aerosoft Airbuses have not been released for P3Dv4.

Regards

thank you so much I was just looking for which of my add ons was transferable I must say that I am very tempted to change the sim but obviously first of all I have to change pc