Sign in to follow this  
whitav8

VRS F-18 + Tacpack + VR on P3Dv4.2 is pretty great

I realize that it is somewhat expensive ($99) but the Virtual Reality SImulations F-18 along with their TacPack for weapons (guns, missiles, SAMs, bombs, etc)  in a simple scenery environment like North Oahu (photoreal) provides a very fun and fluid VR experience. I have a 4.2 Ghz i7 CPU and an Nvidia 1060 6gb GPU running driver 388.71 and I get the ASW 45fps running smoothly with 2XSSAA and SuperSampling (using Oculus Tray Tool) set at 1.5 for clarity. I downloaded Javier Fernandez's freeware USS Nimitz and then the scenario generating freeware program called CCP from FSX@War. Now I can have a 5 ship task force with the Nimitz where I catapult off of, find a four ship Russian TU-95 formation flying along on a waypoint flight and "deal" with them, turn towards a SAM site that pops up on my Warning scope and fire a HARM missile at it while it shoots a few SA-2s at me (and I better dodge them). Finally, I set up to land on the Nimitz that is moving at 25 knots and try to catch an arresting cable. The F-18 is modeled in great detail and for you systems oriented folks, it has it all - but if you are like me, you can start with it running and just learn a few commands to fire a missile, find a target on the radar, and lower your tailhook. All this in VR near Kaneohe Bay on North Oahu with decent wave action and maybe somewhat medium graphics settings so as to maintain smooth, non stutter VR.

The only graphics issue I have seen so far (and I reported it to L-M) is that the boat wakes are incorrect (broken up) for one eye so the stereo view is a little distorted.

Dave W.

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Interesting! I fly the Superbug, CCP, FSCAI, TacPack in P3dv4.1. Displayed on a WHD 32" monitor. I was thinking of an Occulus but the definition is reported as lower than a WHD monitor so reading the guages and HUD is difficult.

How are you getting on with the HUD in this respect?

I was waiting until DCS have finished with their "beta" testing of their new sim engine before looking at VR sets again? With the Superbug/TacPack being so good in P3dv4, I may reconsider?

Simworks Studios do a nice naval task force that comes with a virtual LSO. Now that's real fun! You can get your CQ (Carrier qualification) after the correct number of traps!:biggrin:.

Best regards.

@charlie130,

Personally I think that you would really enjoy flying in VR and also with your monitor - it depends on the situation. You do have to have a moderately fast CPU and GPU for VR since you are rendering two separate views and for fluidity (if I turn my head to see off at 90 degrees, I don't want any stutter at all as I rotate ). A good clue to having enough CPU/GPU power is to measure your framerate on the Nimitz catapult just off the coast near Kaneohe Bay so the land is somewhat in the picture - and you get 80 to 90 fps with 2XSSAA (works well with SuperSampling), medium terrain and other settings, low water detail, no HDR, no Dynamic lighting, low shadow quality, only external vehicle cast/receive, and no traffic.

With SuperSampling at 1.5, you can read the HUD "ok" depending on the scene background. The panel instruments are clear except for the smallest fonts which you can "lean into" a little. You either map a lot of important functions to buttons on your HOTAS (I just have a THrustmaster HOTAS.X for PS4 - $60), use Voice Commands, or use the mouse pointer that highlights when over a switch or knob.

The whole experience is far more exciting than with a monitor (especially carrier launch and recovery - and then combat especially at close range) but the resolution limitation may hinder you if you are focused on systems and navigation work - not sure about multiplayer yet but should be fun. You are simply "inside" the world of the aircraft.

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

2 hours ago, whitav8 said:

@charlie130,

Personally I think that you would really enjoy flying in VR and also with your monitor - it depends on the situation. You do have to have a moderately fast CPU and GPU for VR since you are rendering two separate views and for fluidity (if I turn my head to see off at 90 degrees, I don't want any stutter at all as I rotate ). A good clue to having enough CPU/GPU power is to measure your framerate on the Nimitz catapult just off the coast near Kaneohe Bay so the land is somewhat in the picture - and you get 80 to 90 fps with 2XSSAA (works well with SuperSampling), medium terrain and other settings, low water detail, no HDR, no Dynamic lighting, low shadow quality, only external vehicle cast/receive, and no traffic.

With SuperSampling at 1.5, you can read the HUD "ok" depending on the scene background. The panel instruments are clear except for the smallest fonts which you can "lean into" a little. You either map a lot of important functions to buttons on your HOTAS (I just have a THrustmaster HOTAS.X for PS4 - $60), use Voice Commands, or use the mouse pointer that highlights when over a switch or knob.

The whole experience is far more exciting than with a monitor (especially carrier launch and recovery - and then combat especially at close range) but the resolution limitation may hinder you if you are focused on systems and navigation work - not sure about multiplayer yet but should be fun. You are simply "inside" the world of the aircraft.

Dave W.

Thanks for the info Dave.

I tend to fly with settings (sliders) quite high, so these would probably have to come down. I have a 4790 i7 @ 4.5 and a GTX 1080. 

I prefer to click the switches with mouse but I guess that pointer thingy would work. I use Voice Attack and a HOTAS (X55) already.

If OR bring out a high def version the older models may come into my price range. Just can't justify £500 for one....My  wife laughs at my TIR clipped on my headphones and says I look like a dummy so I can guess at the mockery if I wear an OR!!!:blink:

Cheers.

@charlie130,

You need to find a Virtual Reality application that she would like! 

Also, I don't know what you can get them from where you are - but Amazon here offers the CV1 for $399USD

Dave W.