Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

Windows 10 and FSX/FSX-SE

I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, and it so, maybe you could just point me to that thread. But I've been out of the loop, so to speak, for quite awhile now. Before my computer bit the big one, I was running FSX/SE with "everything!" Running Win 7 /64. Reasonably well, I might add. A big part of that success was fine-tuning Win 7 to be as invisible as possible. No background processes, no screen savers, no nothing.

NOW - I have a brand new machine running Win 10/64 with a faster CPU, hotter graphics card, and faster RAM. I've reloaded FSX/SE, and all of my previous goodies. And now I'm in the process of reconfiguring everything. And the first thing I've noticed is that Win 10 really takes control of everything. It even watches over my browser requests and decides what I can or can't reach. It downloads updates with no approval, and doesn't care what happens. This Windows Defender crap is worse than any anti-virus program.

My question here is, how can I set up Win 10 specifically for FSX? This new machine is for gaming only. No personal stuff. No word processors, no email, no Facebook, no nothing. Only FSX and DCS World, and eventually Prepar3d. I don't want Windows to interfere with anything. No screen savers, no wallpaper, no background stuff. Win 7 was set up that way. Can I do that now with Win 10? And if so, how?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

2 hours ago, gpbarth said:

I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, and it so, maybe you could just point me to that thread. But I've been out of the loop, so to speak, for quite awhile now. Before my computer bit the big one, I was running FSX/SE with "everything!" Running Win 7 /64. Reasonably well, I might add. A big part of that success was fine-tuning Win 7 to be as invisible as possible. No background processes, no screen savers, no nothing.

NOW - I have a brand new machine running Win 10/64 with a faster CPU, hotter graphics card, and faster RAM. I've reloaded FSX/SE, and all of my previous goodies. And now I'm in the process of reconfiguring everything. And the first thing I've noticed is that Win 10 really takes control of everything. It even watches over my browser requests and decides what I can or can't reach. It downloads updates with no approval, and doesn't care what happens. This Windows Defender crap is worse than any anti-virus program.

My question here is, how can I set up Win 10 specifically for FSX? This new machine is for gaming only. No personal stuff. No word processors, no email, no Facebook, no nothing. Only FSX and DCS World, and eventually Prepar3d. I don't want Windows to interfere with anything. No screen savers, no wallpaper, no background stuff. Win 7 was set up that way. Can I do that now with Win 10? And if so, how?

If it were me I would install Win 7 Pro 64.

2 hours ago, gpbarth said:

This Windows Defender crap is worse than any anti-virus program.

You may calm down and relax. I would bet that most of us here are on Windows 10 and pretty much trouble free in regard to OS.  Also, based on a recent topic here on Avsim it appears many, many, of us are using Windows Defender along with Malware Bytes for protection. It has been a flawless combination for me and has not taxed my system like a handful of paid AV suites did to me over the years.

The only flight sim related Windows 10 issue I had was actually with Saitek controls, panels, and Windows Enhanced Power Management. Fixes for those have been around for over two years now.  

Windows 10 allows much more user control than Windows 8, which drove me nuts with my wife's laptop.  I went from Windows 7 (old system) to Windows 10 (new system) and have not looked back.  Windows 8 created a lot of fear.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Agree with everyone above, Windows 10 runs FSX well.  I have FSX (boxed) installed and no problems.  See the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for settings and other suggestions.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Although I agree with the OP's frustration about Windows 10 installing things without my having any control over them, whether I want them or not, I also agree with the other posts - I have had zero problems with FSX-SE and Win10....

I am interested however in the comment about Saitek controls. My trusty old X55 system finally died and I just got the X52 pro and have had a real struggle getting it to run consistently. Can you steer me to the information about this, as I'm fairly sure it's a software problem...

Thanks

Ian

1 hour ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

I am interested however in the comment about Saitek controls. My trusty old X55 system finally died and I just got the X52 pro and have had a real struggle getting it to run consistently. Can you steer me to the information about this, as I'm fairly sure it's a software problem...

The linked topic was not for the X52 but have seen it referenced in other topics, here and elsewhere.  You may be experiencing issues in regard to Windows Advanced Power Management.  i.e. features to sleep or shut down connected items, especially USB, to save power.  Oh My! More social pressure to go Green!

Check out this topic and read it in its entirety before jumping too quickly at changes. There are also links in the topic to other discussions.  I believe you will solve your issues after reading.  Just identify the behaviour you are experiencing and match the best of what you read to apply to the issue.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/486069-problems-with-saitek-radio-and-multi-panel-units/

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks Frank. I was finally able to locate some up to date drivers - they are not hosted on Logitech or Saitek's websites but I followed a discussion thread until a link led me to them. The other thing I have found is that the cable connection that joins the throttle and the stick is not very reliable and I've learned to give each of the male plugs a push to make sure they are fully engaged before booting up the sim. So far, so good. I have to say that I'm pleased with the feel of the stick especially. I'm still getting used to the different switch positions and don't find them as intuitive as the X55 but nonetheless, I'm happy with the product, especially as I was able to get it at an excellent price on Amazon

On 4/3/2018 at 1:36 PM, Wink207 said:

If it were me I would install Win 7 Pro 64.

If the hardware doesn't support 7, then he can't use it. Especially if drivers won't work with 7.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:20 PM, gpbarth said:

My question here is, how can I set up Win 10 specifically for FSX?

Here's one way:  http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/  ..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks for the info on adjusting Win10. I guess I know  what will be on my "to do" list for the weekend! :)

We live in a Windows 10 world and I know my next desktop will have Windows 10, it's just a fact of life.  I think one important thing to do when installing sims and games is to specify their installation into a directory other than the default C:/Program Files directory.  Windows exercises a lot of control over this directory, installing to a folder that the user creates eliminates Windows' ability to prohibit altering installed files.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

5 hours ago, stans said:

We live in a Windows 10 world and I know my next desktop will have Windows 10, it's just a fact of life.  I think one important thing to do when installing sims and games is to specify their installation into a directory other than the default C:/Program Files directory.  Windows exercises a lot of control over this directory, installing to a folder that the user creates eliminates Windows' ability to prohibit altering installed files.

True. I have my flight sim applications on a separate, dedicated drive. I've done that for many years going back to FS9 and have never regretted it. As a result I have had very few issues resulting from a direct conflict between Windows and my flight simulators. My only issue with Windows 10 is that it is so intrusive by activating and even installing programs while I am running flight sim. I've learned that whenever I start having performance issues when flying I have to check Task Manager to see whatever activity windows has decided to carry out without my knowledge. But with the good advice I've been given here, I'm hoping to resolve at least some of that over the weekend

Cheers

Ian

Setting Windows 10 internet connection to "metered" will keep Windows 10 from automatically downloading and installing software.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I disconnect my hub using the taskbar and fly FSX-SE offline. That stops Windows 10 interfering.