Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

MAIW new military AI

I know that military flying in FS isn't everyone's thing, but if you have the slightest interest in seeing some astonishing new AI models, check out the activity at MAIW. They remain a major supporter of FS9 and have now released a huge set of packages featuring the F-35 Lightning II - all versions of it, land and sea based with liveries for all of the aircraft purchased or ordered so far by 8 different nations. The work that has gone into all of this has been enormous and this team deserves all the support we can give them. So go to the MAIW site and check it out. Even if you don't use military AI, just looking at what they have accomplished is worth your time. Another recent masterpiece is a new model for the F-16 by John Young, and like every project he is involved in, it pushes the boundaries of what we thought possible.

And yes,  of course it's all freeware!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for the info, and nice to read here from you!

By the way, it's not only about military flying, but everyone who is interested in a rich AI traffic environment should have at least some military traffic installed in the areas of his/her main interest. It's just more realistic to be buzzed by an F-16 occassionally and to see military transport airplanes at the big hubs.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Excellent reminder Ian.   In addition to Harald's comment it is worth noting that many airports are multi purpose such as CYWG Winnipeg, which includes an international airport, large cargo hub  and an air force base. If you want to increase the level of immersion in your sim you need to follow Ian's advice and check out MAIW. 

Greg    

Harald and Gary - right as usual my old friends! :-) And it's nice to speak with you. I'm afraid my FS9 days have come to an end, though I still haven't taken the plunge and deleted it from my system. But among the many things I still miss about FS9 is the forum community!!!!!

I just installed all the WOAI packages available and installing as many MAIW packages as I can is next on my list!

About the only negative about installing a lot of MAIW packages is that the number of aircraft is sometimes huge and the flight-plans are very complex, but they often use stock airfields that we (me anyway) don't usually visit, given the huge number of great addons that we have. So you might want to do a little editing, both to reduce the numbers of aircraft (which are often identical except for a serial number you can hardly see) and change some of the flight-plans so that the traffic is more likely to show up at your favorite military or dual civil-military airports. (That's not a criticism BTW, as far as I'm concerned the MAIW team are FS heroes who deserve nothing but praise for their work)....

Cheers mates

Ian

MAIW continues to regularly produce new freeware addons for FS9. Although they are starting to lean toward P3D4, FS9 continues to be their primary platform and they add new aircraft and/or airfields on an almost weekly basis. Just a reminder that the King of sims has not yet been fully dethroned! LOL Sadly, it seems like World of AI has taken a long vacation, but MAIW are extremely active and innovative...

Cheers mates

Ian

On 4/4/2018 at 10:41 AM, HaraldG said:

It's just more realistic to be buzzed by an F-16 occassionally and to see military transport airplanes at the big hubs.

Ha ha, not wishing to malign the content of this thread in any way for it all sounds great stuff but "realistic to be buzzed by an F-16 occasionally"? Nah, not in the real world - unless you re-tune the radio incorrectly and lose contact and then they definitely send the boys out to greet you. But that is extremely rare.

I get the impression they use their own separate airspace although FS, of course, makes no effort to keep us civvies out of that . . . another tap on the shoulder from your airline's disciplinary panel, methinks.

So yes, you will definitely see them at joint airports but in practice rarely elsewhere, I think.

Best regards,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

True to a large degree John, but not entirely. I live very near a VOR intersection and it's not especially unusual to see some USAF Reserve or Air National Guard (most often A-10's) aircraft overhead using the same air space as civil traffic, as well as KC-10s, C-5s and C-130s. "Buzzing" - no, of course not. But they do use the same air space in congested areas like mine, although it's certainly not an everyday thing. As for the sight of military transports at civil air fields - both joint use but even purely civil - not particularly unusual. I recently flew into a regional airport that is civil use only and there was a C-17 parked on the ramp not far from the CRJ I was disembarking from. And there are at least three joint use airports (USAF Reserve or ANG) within a two-hour driving radius from where I live.

Besides, the nice thing about flight simulation is you can make almost anything happen! LOL I recall a very magical moment when I was flying near Boeing Field near Seattle and I spotted a Jenny trundling along...

Cheers mate - nice to see you on the forum here

Ian

2 hours ago, John Hinson said:

I get the impression they use their own separate airspace

They use their own specific training areas of course, but otherwise its' within the usual airspace used alongside everyone else. Lots and lots of VFR and IFR military traffic out there.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

9 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Lots and lots of VFR and IFR military traffic out there.

I couldn't agree more. Military traffic of all sorts is a common at CYQR, which is the airport in the city where I live.  It is not a joint use airfield but lots of military traffic here every week.  Besides the CT-155 and CT-156 from nearby CYMJ doing touch and goes on a daily basis, it is not uncommon to see everything from Hornet fighters to Sea King helicopters transiting through Regina.  All the training types from Portage la Prairie in Manitoba do cross country trips to Regina.  USAF types are rarer but not uncommon.  I've seen all sorts of European, Central and South American military traffic through here over the years.  I'm not as keen on the military fields but the aircraft types and traffic offered by MAIW adds an important dimension to my AI traffic setup. 

Cheers,

Greg