Sign in to follow this  
RockOla

Bad idea of the day : Legacy vs wind shears

During part 10 of my world tour, I encountered some nice-but-threatening cumulus above the destination - Yakutsk (UEEE)

UEEE METAR was not that bad : cloud base at 5000 ft, visibility up to 5 kms, and 15-17 knts front wind with low to medium gusts

But neither the METAR nor previous traffic warned me about strong wind shears on the approach.

Fortunately, I had decided to do the approach flaps up at a high speed (~130 kts) which gave me enough margin to recover from the wind shears while on final. Not the most elegant flare, but at least I ended up safe on the ground (video below)... Take a look at the AOA (angle of attack indicator) on the left, which turns full black from time to time, indicating a total loss of drag for a few hundredth of seconds...

0f8e20b3a68644c616e730752135fa75.jpg

1976101de7318d4c0af246808fbd6045.jpg

Edited by RockOla
  • Like 3

Nice shots and nice recovery on the landing.

nebojsa

My landings on a calm day often look just like that.  LOL

Nice save, thumbs up  indeed.

Just out of curiosity, why did you not go around? 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I love flying, especially landing in wind sheer.  During my real life training we always had winds and chop at touchdown here in Arizona where except in the dead of winter we have a lot of activity in the atmosphere, one reason our visibilities are so high out her, upwards to 150 miles.  Out of takeoff at any of our local airports in Phoenix one can see the San Francisco peaks way up in Flagstaff, more than 100NM distant.

John

Thanks to all for you for your kind comments

1 hour ago, Cactus521 said:

I love flying, especially landing in wind sheer.  During my real life training we always had winds and chop at touchdown here in Arizona where except in the dead of winter we have a lot of activity in the atmosphere, one reason our visibilities are so high out her, upwards to 150 miles.  Out of takeoff at any of our local airports in Phoenix one can see the San Francisco peaks way up in Flagstaff, more than 100NM distant.

John

Flagstaff... This brings back memories, during my honeymoon, while we were heading to the Grand Canyon National Park we had to stop at Flagstaff because of a sudden and violent storm. In 15 minutes, the sky went from CAVOK to completely black. As I am not allowed to post an image after the first post, here is a link to a picture I took that day

2 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you not go around? 

Mainly because on my chair, in my room, I did not feel the danger I would have felt in real life. That's also why I love simming, you can put yourself in any situation: from taking off at a busy airport in your daily Airbus, to trying to land on the Nimitz with your 747 (dont lie, you also tried :biggrin:)

39 minutes ago, RockOla said:

Flagstaff... This brings back memories, during my honeymoon, while we were heading to the Grand Canyon National Park we had to stop at Flagstaff because of a sudden and violent storm. In 15 minutes, the sky went from CAVOK to completely black. As I am not allowed to post an image after the first post, here is a link to a picture I took that day

Mainly because on my chair, in my room, I did not feel the danger I would have felt in real life. That's also why I love simming, you can put yourself in any situation: from taking off at a busy airport in your daily Airbus, to trying to land on the Nimitz with your 747 (dont lie, you also tried :biggrin:)

Yes, simming allows you to put yourself in the hot seat and dream up challenges that in real life you might choke under.  I laugh at myself because when I sim I use body english sometimes to steer my aircraft onto the runway.  I like Xplane especially much because it is easier to work the rudder in Xplane vs. P3D.  Xplane's flight dynamics in crosswinds I find more realistic than P3D.  In Xplane even without force feedback I can feel the air on the aircraft and hear audibly how it interacts with the aircraft.  But in P3D I have better flight models with the jets, better 3-D buildings in the cities, for instance Xplane only models have of Las Vegas, they do not include the tower there.  That is why I like having two sims because they appeal to the different moods I might have when seeking flight.  If I want a ride, I choose P3D, if I want a challenge, I choose Xplane.  I like both.

John

Nice landing in difficult conditions! What Yakutsk scenery is that?

19 hours ago, RockOla said:

Couldn't have said it better myself! I feel the exact same way!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda