Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Meaning of 'Mark site read'?

Until recently, I have always assumed that this function only applied to the vendor's level i.e. it was a 'logical site' being marked as read. I am now unsure:ohmy:

Can I have clarification as to whether it means 'logical site' or the whole physical Avsim site that is made as read, please?

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Richard,

What do you mean by vendor's level?  The advertiser's who have space on the website?  What's a logical site?  AVSIM is just a website on the Internet.  When you place your cursor over the 'Mark site read', you should see the following information: "Mark all content on site as read."  This means everything on the front page, our reviews, our articles, our publications, our guides, and the forums (or everything).  This would be good so that you can see everything you have not read after you click on this button.  For instance, you can go to our forum page and look immediately at the icon on the left of each forum.  If it is highlighted (bold), it means there is something in that particular forum you have not read.  You can look all the way down at the forums we have displayed and see what has been posted since you clicked on 'Mark site read'.  This is a function created solely by the site creator, Invision Community.

I realize this is a simplistic explanation.  I just want to be sure you realize no one on the AVSIM staff developed this website other than to make minor modifications that the website allows (the modifications were made mostly by the late owner of the site, Tom Allensworth).  As far as I know this item was there when Tom passed away.  Since Tom's passing, we have been busy upgrading the website as he tried several times but failed (we had a couple of unsuccessful attempts too!!).  There is underlying technology, developed by the site creator, that makes it more compatible with more and more devices around the world and to stay with the many daily changes in technology.  When we upgraded the site (early last year and early this year), these modifications simply remained with the site.  The 'Mark site read' came with the site and I'm sure it is on our system board where you can tick a box stating, "check this box if you want to give members the ability to mark site read".  If you want to know what 'Mark site read' you will have to go to the vendor of the website, the site creator, Invision Community as they have developers who formed the site and have developers worldwide who make addons for the basic site that are freeware/payware options. Usually, each developer fully explains what his addon does so that the site developer, Invision Community, can determine if he wants it included in his basic website. They also have a forum where you can ask your question.  If you find out from them what it means, logical or whole physical, please share it with our membership!  I wish I could provide a better explanation but there are many things I have to do to help manage the forums, manage the new registrations, and answer some of the AVSIM mail.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your fullsome explanation!

I guess then when I am looking at the PMDG forum and then click 'Mark site read', it means that all AVSIM forums, not just the PMDG forums, will be marked as read.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

That's correct.  If you want to mark all of the forums in PMDG read, you click on the PMDG icon next to the forums.  It'll mark all forums in PMDG as read.  If you just want the PMDG 747 marked as read, then you just click on the icon next to the PMDG 747 forum after showing the menu of all of the forums by clicking on PMDG Support Forums.

Edited by Jim Young
Removed my comment that there was a PMDG icon next to each individual forum. It's just a plain icon.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10