Sign in to follow this  
sammy031

VFR Enhancement Request

First, thanks for this great product! 

Would it be possible when landing at a towered airport under VFR for the tower to assign the pattern entry based on direction of flight? This would involve adding some additional calls that would be recognized as valid. 

Entry points could be: Left Downwind, Right Downwind, Left Base, Right Base, Straight In

Reporting points could be: Midfield (for Downwind entries), X mile base or X mile final

Calls to add: <Tower Name><Call Sign><Distance><Direction from Airport><Current Altitude><Landing Intention>with<ATIS Code>/weather

I don't think there would a way to validate the ATIS code unless it was stored somewhere in the sim that you could read, but it is required IRL so it would just be there to reinforce correct behavior. It would be cool that if the pilot left out the ATIS/weather at the end of the call that Tower would respond asking the pilot to verify the ATIS code or having the weather prior to giving him the pattern entry.

Example:

Approaching KSBP (San Luis Obispo) From the North East landing runway 29

Pilot: "San Luis Tower, Skyhawk 123AB Ten miles Northeast at Three Thousand Five Hundred landing with Bravo" (This could be used instead of the existing call "Skyhawk 123AB inbound at Three Thousand Five Hundred feet for VFR pattern entry 29")

Tower: "Skyhawk 123AB enter Right Base 29 report 3 mile base"

Pilot: "Enter right base, report three miles, 123AB"

Pilot: "Skyhawk 123AB Three mile right base"

Tower: "Skyhawk 123AB cleared to land runway 29"

Pilot: "Cleared to land runway 29, 123AB"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I heartily second the kudos for the product and the detail that's gone into it. I was happy to purchase it and it's great to see it continue to grow!

I would also like to second this request. I would love to have more VFR phrases and capabilities. Especially for practicing communications when the weather is too bad for flying. Which is often during the winters here in the mid-west.

I would like to also add "Radio" or "Flight Watch" as it used to be called. I haven't had any luck with this if it is currently in the product. In-flight weather for cross-country would be nice. Very important for VFR flights. Especially since you often call and speak on one frequency, while listening on the VOR frequency.

55 minutes ago, Thud178 said:

I would like to also add "Radio" or "Flight Watch" as it used to be called. I haven't had any luck with this if it is currently in the product. In-flight weather for cross-country would be nice. Very important for VFR flights. Especially since you often call and speak on one frequency, while listening on the VOR frequency.

Not a bad feature, but it's in Active Sky. Tune your radio to 122.00, 122.02 and 122.05. It's on by default, but check your AS setting provided you use that program. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kowen said:

Not a bad feature, but it's in Active Sky. Tune your radio to 122.00, 122.02 and 122.05. It's on by default, but check your AS setting provided you use that program. 

Thank you, sir - An RTFM for me lol. Checked, it's on, I now see how to use - off I go!