Sign in to follow this  
BogdanT7

Weird shadows in P3D v4.2

Hello! Today I bought PMDG 747-400, installed it in prepar3d v4.2, and when I loaded up I saw very strange thing - fuselage of aircraft have bunch of weird blocky shadows here and there.

Screenshot_2565.png

Screenshot_2566.png

Screenshot_2567.png

I decided to try to fix the problem: deleted prepar3d.cfg, restored default shaders, changed shadow settings... None of this helped. I'm out of ideas... What's wrong with my prepar or 747? I really hope someone will help me with this strange issue.

Best regards, Bogdan

Under Lighting in your P3D settings, under Casting and Receiving, External Vehicle, turn off receive.  Works for me!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

4 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Under Lighting in your P3D settings, under Casting and Receiving, External Vehicle, turn off receive.  Works for me!

Thank you! Works for me too! :)

But I think that it's a temporary solution, because I saw videos on YouTube where external shadows are on and no similar issue, so the main issue not fixed...

I believe, my default, that setting is off when you install P3D and is not intended to be used.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Bogdan,

you could try to play around with this two options in prepar3d.cfg under display section

OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE

TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE

I've set mine to 4096 and 1024 accordingly. This helped me to solve edgy shadows issue.

Keep in mind that those settings could hit your performance so you just need some balance.

Bogdan,

I've read your post once again and it seems like I not fully understand your issue. Those setting I've mentioned have nothing to do with your issue so it will not help.

Sorry.